Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amaryllo to develop integrated TMC receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amaryllo to develop integrated TMC receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Amaryllo to develop integrated TMC receiver Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAmaryllo, a Dutch provider of RDS-TMC technology for PND's has today announced a partnership with Ficosa, a manufacturer of parts for the automotive industry to develop new RDS-TMC solutions.

Their first solution is a modular Amaryllo TMC receiver combined with a Ficosa fractal antenna designed to be fully integrated inside the navigation device’s housing.

This solution has many advantages when compared with those currently available:
  • No need to employ the dangly string wire type aerial. I'm sure many of us have had used these at some point and they are not very pretty! The Amaryllo/Ficosa solution is fully integrated in the device housing – no extra wires!
  • The new solution gives a predictable and stable signal level as it is integrated in the PND.
  • The Amaryllo/Ficosa solution is unaffected by vehicle generated electrical interference.
  • No dangly antenna draped across the dashboard/windscreen!</li>
  • No loss of performance when compared to existing external antennas correctly installed and sited.
I have a deep seated hatred of the dangly wire antennas so anything that removes the need for them is welcomed by me!

www.amaryllo.com
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Amaryllo to develop integrated TMC receiver Reply with quote

Much better than an external antenna but will the info it receives be any good? Confused I don’t think many would say that TMC works well in the UK and frequently has no data about the jam you are stuck in or incorrect data about non existent jams that you diverted around only to discover that there was no hold up! Evil or Very Mad So when you do have a warning you end up ignoring it. Shocked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree , indeed one of the TMC companies who shall remain nameless got in a tizz about my comments recently slating the quality of the data.

They may not like it but something is going very wrong somewhere. If their data is valid and accurate then the manufacturers are doing something to mess it up before it gets to the end-user on a PND!

RDS-TMC is the ideal delivery medium, cheap, good coverage etc but they need to ramp up the number of Transmitter sites and the power so that reception coverage is much better and then they need to look at why the data is so often incomplete, inaccurate or completely absent.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

As far as Amaryllo's design is concerned, anything that rids the dashboard of the horrible dangly string antenna is to be welcomed, if it can improve reception at the same time then even better.
Pirate3000
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: rds tmc Reply with quote

I agree with the comments here if it gets rid of the dangly antenna then that would be much better for all especially if it improves data collection and coverage,, but thats might be down to the transmitters not the TMC.

Steve
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A touch expensive though:

Amaryllo Trinity TMC/RDS €129,00

!! ATTENTION:

the Trinity TMC works only with Destinator 7 and Nokia/Gate5 Smart2Go software. Other companies will follow.

Maybe when all the software will work with it the price will have reduced!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked Amaryllo for a sample picture of a fractal antenna, and they sent me the one for the actual item:

way cool.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very similar to the aerial used in the ViaMichelin X-970T shown in another thread some time ago.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't something like this go bluetooth .It would mean another power adaptor but it is better than the wire all over the place
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
couldn't something like this go bluetooth .It would mean another power adaptor but it is better than the wire all over the place

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Quote:
I agree with the comments here if it gets rid of the dangly antenna

Quote:
As far as Amaryllo's design is concerned, anything that rids the dashboard of the horrible dangly string antenna is to be welcomed

Quote:
Much better than an external antenna

Quote:
Their first solution is a modular Amaryllo TMC receiver combined with a Ficosa fractal antenna designed to be fully integrated inside the navigation device’s housing.

This solution has many advantages when compared with those currently available:
No need to employ the dangly string wire type aerial. I'm sure many of us have had used these at some point and they are not very pretty! The Amaryllo/Ficosa solution is fully integrated in the device housing – no extra wires!

This design is integrated into the main casing! So there are no wires and no need for Bluetooth!

Or have i got it massively wrong again? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
This design is integrated into the main casing! So there are no wires and no need for Bluetooth!

Or have i got it massively wrong again? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Nope, you're quite correct.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: