Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use Reply with quote

Some questions for Darren, and hopefully for the brave souls who have purchased a x40 already.

Although Mike's film of HD traffic in use in central London was impressive, is it as effective in more lightly populated areas of the country, or at night?

Also, if you use a x40 outside of the country of purchase, will it work with a TT TMC receiver, and interpret the data correctly?

Malcolm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: x40/HD Traffic/TMC in use Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Some questions for Darren, and hopefully for the brave souls who have purchased a x40 already.

Although Mike's film of HD traffic in use in central London was impressive, is it as effective in more lightly populated areas of the country, or at night?

So far tests have been very encouraging. It's early days of course.
Quote:
Also, if you use a x40 outside of the country of purchase, will it work with a TT TMC receiver, and interpret the data correctly?

Yes you can. There is also an accessory mount on the drawing board with built-in TMC receiver and helical antenna built-in to the base so no dangly wires.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply Darren. When you say 'on the drawing board' does this mean some time in the future, and that you will have to use the new mount for TMC and not an existing receiver?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply Darren. When you say 'on the drawing board' does this mean some time in the future, and that you will have to use the new mount for TMC and not an existing receiver?

AIUI the new mount will be an option. You will still be able to use an existing mini-USB TMC instead if you wish.

No guarantees of course, the mount was a prototype so may its design may change or it may be dropped completely!
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone lucky enough to have or tested an X4 0been able to compare HD traffic against GPRS Traffic.

I would be interested to know their conclusions
GO 920 Dead
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
Has anyone lucky enough to have or tested an X4 0been able to compare HD traffic against GPRS Traffic.

I would be interested to know their conclusions

It's impossible to compare with any level of accuracy tbh. Much of the time I struggle to receive TMC.

However where I have had both working, HD Traffic has proved more accurate in the limited testing opportunities available to me.
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Thanks for response.

I am weighing up pro's and cons for HD traffic and live services.

I wait to see benefits for live services, as I am dubious as to quality of data supplied by TomTom based on past performance (e.g. safety cameras, Doctors, poi's etc).

There is no way I could justify the additional monthly costs involved for poor data.

And with GPRS, I at least can get continental traffic updates and use roaming or foreign sim card
GO 920 Dead
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the services for me HD Traffic and Fuel prices are the most useful with Google search possible a third. I say possibly as it's 'OK' and can get you out of a hole but it's very slow.

So if you require good traffic data and can justify the subs cost then it's worth getting. If you don't then I'd say wait.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
... most useful with Google search possible a third.

I think this is going to be more useful that you might imagine. Just to recap what I said in the other thead, I ended up with two 540s, one of which I can/will return to any branch of Halfords - Using the 540, I searched for "Halfords" and it correctly found the nearest one to me, and with a few screen presses generated a route for me.

I appreciate that this can be done from home, but that then involves remembering / writing down the post code, going out to the car, remembering and entering it, and hoping that that post code doesn't cover a wide area. Assuming that the co-ordinates from google are better than a simple post code, this is a good thing.

I can see travelling uses for it too - for example, when on long trips, I like to stop for a food break, and I tend to go for something like a bacon double from BK (or whatever gets set in my head at the time - I usually decide what I want before I stop, and once I've made up my mind, I'm unhappy if it's not available at the particular services I stop at). Now you'll find BK at some services, but not others - a quick search for this sort of thing ought to easily find one for me. Think of the other possibilites that you probably wouldn't have considered before - e.g. puncture repairs, A+E, places to buy cigarettes, fix a damaged tent...

Incidentally, I just put in the name of my company - we changed name a few months ago (it's not really fully complete), and we only have one UK office, and we do commercial software, with no consumer trading, and yet we were still in there, and the location was correct (well maybe identified a couple of offices down, but close enough to find us).

True traffic and fuel are the killer apps, but if the google stuff is as comprehensive as I expect, it's probably gonna be pretty handy - no more searching for post codes on the interweb from your PC first, just go straight for the TT.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
I think this is going to be more useful that you might imagine.

My comments were in relation to its implementation rather than its usefulness. I fully appreciate how useful the facility is, no longer will you need to store a myriad of POIs in the event you 'might' need to call upon one of them. However, certainly whilst on test I found the search kludgy at best with a very long wait for the search results to appear and further long pauses if we requested page 2 or 3 of the results.

Edited to correct spelling!

Last edited by Darren on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My order of preference for these services:

1/ Google
2/ Traffic
3/ Fuel Prices

Everyone will differ in choice of which function is best for them, it depends upon how you use the device, try looking at fuel prices and see if you can spot any local "Price fixing" by the major companies. Look at each local area and the competition is generally within a few 0,1 - 0,3 pence per litre, but 10 or even 20 miles away it could be 3 or 4 pence per litre different - but notice how they all charge the same for garages located close together Confused - Mike
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
try looking at fuel prices and see if you can spot any local "Price fixing" by the major companies.

To be fair, I think that most of the supermarkets are quite open about this - many a time I've heard statements from them stating quite clearly that they will match local prices.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the posters further up was referring to a comparison of GPRS traffic (NOT TMC) against the new Live Traffic service in the x40 range.

The GPRS traffic was always better than TMC, but still could be out of date by the time you got to the incident....or hit an incident without enough advanced notice.

Ideally the Live traffic service, should be absolutely immediate and be incapable of missing any problems because it is using every Vodafone users mobile phone as a mechanism. However, reading other reports, already I see one post where a user hit traffic and the x40 didn't prewarn.

So maybe there are still some bugs to work out..but in principle it should be able to do a LOT better than GPRS traffic and a LOT LOT better than TMC.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a pretty silly thing to say, but surely there must be traffic jams where the users of a Vodafone are not present (or not present in enough numbers), therefore it wouldn't be an issue as far as the x40 was concerned.

Does anyone know how many Vodafones there need to be stopped before a jam is reported, for example during the evening when there are a few people by the roadside outside a pub having a ciggie, and they all have a Vodafone in their pockets would that show?

I realise that is a bit of a silly scenario, but what would happen?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: