Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomLof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You'll have to use the supplied mount as it has the mini-USB power connection. The device itself has only a proprietary multi-pin connector.

The mount is actually quite good though, give it a go!

But I really hate those things! Not only do they look terrible, but from my experience (a while a go now), they tend to fall off at the wrong moment!

Shocked
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine affixed to one of those circular dash discs. In the 2 mths + I've been testing the 940, the device has never fallen off.
DomLof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I use mine affixed to one of those circular dash discs. In the 2 mths + I've been testing the 940, the device has never fallen off.

I've just spotted one of those. I think I'll get one! Smile

Thanks

Dom
ktasker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Might sound a daft question, but if I buy a 540 will I be able to buy the European maps at a later date and put them on a micro SD card?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktasker wrote:
Hi, Might sound a daft question, but if I buy a 540 will I be able to buy the European maps at a later date and put them on a micro SD card?

I can't imagine that they would not allow this.
BackSeat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: 540 Live received Reply with quote

I had a 520T which I bought earlier this year. I had lots and lots of problems with the TMC traffic (sitting in, for example, the roadworks on the A40 at Gloucester for over an hour with the TT saying there were no delays). After lots of complaints to TT support, who denied all responsibility saying that TMC data is not provided by them (I know, but...), the 520 started giving errors while trying to write route information. I returned it to the supplier for repair, but they gave me a full refund. I hadn't asked for that, but decided to wait a couple of weeks and get the 540 Live, which arrived today.

First impressions: the windscreen mount is far better than the one with either the 520T or the 300. The volume is much, much louder than either of those two models too. It still has the next-to-useless compass that came with the last firmware upgrade to the x20 range. The local petrol prices, Google search and traffic information seem excellent, although I've not used it in traffic yet. There's a micro SD slot, but no facility for playing music, so presumably it's for additional maps.

The most annoying problem so far was when I tried to connect it to TomTom Home. I've always considered that bit of software to be close to appalling (as well as being extremely slow), so I decided to start again with a fresh installation. Once installed, I attached the 540 Live and asked for updates. I was told that the attached device wasn't the one registered to my account (the 520 was), and one option was to register the currently connected device instead, which I selected (seeing as I don't have the 520T anymore). I then received this message:

"Error when connecting to server. You can not [sic] change your device code at this time. Your device code can only be changed once every six months. Please contact Customer Support if you require any assistance".

That is infuriating, and perhaps a warning to others who may be considering a quick upgrade from another recently-purchased TT. I've logged a call with Support, but other than the acknowledgement I've yet to hear anything.

Overall, it's early days but I'm pleased with it. I'll try to post more details in a week or so after some proper use.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 540 Live received Reply with quote

BackSeat wrote:
The most annoying problem so far was when I tried to connect it to TomTom Home.
<snip>
"Error when connecting to server. You can not [sic] change your device code at this time. Your device code can only be changed once every six months. Please contact Customer Support if you require any assistance".

I say this a lot but I'll say it again. It's much easier in such cases to register your device against a new email address. If you don't have one, create a Gmail or Hotmail account and use that.

If you have the luxury of your won domain, use something like 540@xyz domain.com, keep it all tidy and easily administered.
Larok
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just had a 540 delivered today. Very nice bit of gps gadgetry. I'll be taking it out tomorrow, (I'm a sales rep). I'll let you know how the traffic/IQ routes combo works. Traffic information looks good from the trafic map view. The IQ routes estimated speeds also looked good when looking at central London today at 5pm. The mount is top banana.

A question;

Should I map update? It has version 810.1934 installed. Tomtom home, 'Updates' offers version 660.

Last edited by Larok on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions:-

Okay, so I've taken my 540 out for a spin, and thought i'd post a few comments here for those clamouring for information. Bear in mind that I'm comparing this with my ONE v2.

Advanced lane guidance seems pretty poor IMO. I took it up the M1, past 3 junctions (starting with J9 northbound). The first was 4 lanes with a normal exit, the second was 4 lanes with the left lane exiting only, and the third was 3 lanes with a normal exit. In every case, it showed me the same image, of 4 lanes with the left being exit only. It is possible that the left lane in the image was supposed to be a normal slip road, indicated by the broken white line between lanes 1 and 2. If this is the case, then it was only correct for the third exit. However, bear in mind that that the first and second exits have all been rebuilt over the last few years, and the work is not quite finished yet (and I'd not even attempted to update any map at that point).

Traffic - I did queue for a few hundred yards as I was approaching the M25 from St. Albans, and this wasn't indicated, but basically other than that, didn't really encounter any traffic. It did indicate the roadworks on the M1 north from there, however, having observed the traffic info earlier in the day, this didn't appear on the traffic map until rush hour, despite the 50mph limit that has been in force there for some time.

I was impressed with the earlier announcement of turns which has been introduced at some point since my (as up to date as HOME would let it) ONE. Previously, that last instruction to "Turn Left" or whatever wasn't announced until you were right on top of the turn.

The so called "fast rerouting" as in when a turn is missed, didn't appear to be any quicker than the ONE.

Speed cameras - It didn't have the semi-permanent average check cameras in the M1 road works that the ONE would tell me about. It also didn't tell me about a camera on the opposite side of the road, which the in general the ONE did (nb: not this specific camera, but it did tend to beep at me for cameras on the opposite side) - I don't know if this is a deliberate change or just a missing camera.

Oh, and I still hate the "Go left ON the roundabout" instead of the "Go left AT the roundabout." Yes, I know the former is probably more grammatically correct, but the latter is the way people I know talk.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
Speed cameras - It didn't have the semi-permanent average check cameras in the M1 road works that the ONE would tell me about. It also didn't tell me about a camera on the opposite side of the road, which the in general the ONE did (nb: not this specific camera, but it did tend to beep at me for cameras on the opposite side) - I don't know if this is a deliberate change or just a missing camera.

Are you comparing the x40 camera database with TomToms other database on your One, or was that running the database from PGPSW? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larok wrote:
A question;

Should I map update? It has version 810.1934 installed. Tomtom home, 'Updates' offers version 660.

NO! If it's a v6 map then that is a very old map and a known HOME bug, don't waste your time/bandwidth downloading it!
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Are you comparing the x40 camera database with TomToms other database on your One, or was that running the database from PGPSW? - Mike

Just the standard/subscription TT stuff, so effectively TT old school vs Road Angel.
smokley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused now. What are you comparing? One device with TT data on and your new TT with Road Angel data?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokley wrote:
Confused now. What are you comparing? One device with TT data on and your new TT with Road Angel data?

Yes
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes

Should make it clear that it is not a side by side comparison, comparing previous experience of the ONE (which I still used until today, albeit with traffic/camera subscriptions lapsed last month).

EDIT - just re-read mike's original question (properly this time) - I can see how I confused you - sorry. Yes, was comparing the New 540 data with the data I *used* to get on the ONE until the subscription lapsed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: