Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 920 Map update.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

920 Map update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: 920 Map update. Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I am awaiting a tt920 to arrive and suddenly i realised i need to get a question answered.
Sorry by the way if this has been answered before, here goes.....

When i update the 920 with the LMG does it do all maps, ie the USA & Western Europe or does it only update the map you are using for the area you are in?

IE, i live in the states so will select this when i power up, but will the LMG only deal with the USA map. Or if i selected UK as my map would it only update that one? Do you get what i'm saying???

Any insight would be most appreciated, thanks.
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the LMG covers the map region(s) included on the device when first purchased, so:

520 - GB & ROI will update GB & ROI only

720 - Western Europe will update Western Europe

920 - Western Europe & USA will update Western Europe & USA

So, LMG is not dependent upon where you're using a device, but it depends upon the device and which maps are initially installed.

Does that help?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning!! Many people have posted that LMG only offered the regional map. i.e. for 920 in USA it only offered USA and NOT Europe also. In UK, it didn't offer USA, only Europe. My own 920 only gave me Europe. As I could not see me using it in USA during this map's life, I didn't bother. But other people entered into battle with TomTom and demanded the USA map also - having bought a Europe and USA device, they argued it should provide LMG for both regions. By all accounts, it was a hard battle and certainly some people won and got both maps eventually, but only after great effort.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.. If you want v8 maps you MUST upgrade the 720's software to v8 first, otherwise you will only be offered a v7 map by the LMG process (and as you know, you only get ONE bite of the cherry).
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Warning!! Many people have posted that LMG only offered the regional map. i.e. for 920 in USA it only offered USA and NOT Europe also. In UK, it didn't offer USA, only Europe. My own 920 only gave me Europe. As I could not see me using it in USA during this map's life, I didn't bother. But other people entered into battle with TomTom and demanded the USA map also - having bought a Europe and USA device, they argued it should provide LMG for both regions. By all accounts, it was a hard battle and certainly some people won and got both maps eventually, but only after great effort.

Thanks Dennis, thats what i was afraid of, as i said i am currently in the USA but may be returning to Blight early next year. So not sure which to use it against!

Thanks Andy, i was aware of the proceedure thanks, i have a 720 at the mo and try to keep up to date with everything via this site as much as possible. Thanks for taking time to warn me though.
SouthHams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just gone through the tortuous 920 to 930 LMG path for my 920 the biggest problem was getting the European map updated.

This took four entries into the TT Support pages with quite a few screen shots attached. Having got the European maps I then explained that I was visiting the US in the new year and immediately received a sorry and the US map was waiting in HOME.

I didn't ask for the 810 version of the Guam map. Laughing
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

So my new 920 arrived a short while ago.
I say new, its another recertified unit. After great success with a recert 720 i was tempted again.

Out of the box it looks perfect as did the last one. Powered up and it had an old firmware v720 something. So connected to home, ran 2 updates to get to v8.01 and then held my breath whilst i clicked USE LMG.

Wheyyy, it offers me the Western Europe & North American V8 maps to download. I couldn't click fast enough, and so here i am with the download happening while i type.

The result should be a 920 with v8 maps and all the functionality of a 930.

All off ebay for $250 Very Happy Brilliant!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news. I hope you made an Explorer, not Home, backup prior to the updates .... but for sure make one after the map and firmware updates you're making.

Ensure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

And ..... check that VR & TTS works for both NA and European maps....
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get in there!

Ok both maps dowloaded in just over 2 hours. Installed in about 30 mins.

V810 maps for both North America & W/C Europe.

Tested VR TTS and ALG, with demos on both, all ok!!!!!

Im like a pig in sh*t right now Very Happy

Also pulled my POI's from my 720 and mapconfig and its all working.

I hope it doesn't look like im boasting or anything, its just i'm so pleased i have a psuedo 930 in a 920 case and it cost only $250 all in.

One odd thing, before i bought it from Ebay, i emailed the seller and asked them wether TT would honour the LMG if i bought from them. They said no, but i thought what the hell for that price i would have been happy with the older maps. So what a result.

Thanks to everyone on here who posts those little tips on how to get the most from your TT. Its a shame, there will be people out there who buy a TT and never connect to home and get the latest firmware and maps etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: