Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket GPS Team up With Telmap
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket GPS Team up With Telmap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Pocket GPS Team up With Telmap Reply with quote

Telmap GPSPocketGPSWorld are proud to announce a joint project with Telmap, a world leader in mobile phone based GPS navigation.

The PocketGPSWorld community is invited to become beta testers and get Telmap Navigator software for free through the Telmap User Group.

Telmap says "Telmap Navigator is a complete GPS navigation solution running on all major mobile platforms that gives you the best overall navigation experience available today. When you drive, Telmap Navigator will display crystal clear moving maps either in 2D or 3D, while well-timed sound instructions that speak out street names help you stay on route."

It features:
  • Full turn-by-turn in-car navigation.
  • 3D moving maps.
  • Full traffic and speed camera information.
  • Sound instructions that read out street names using Text to Speech technology.
  • Full featured pedestrian navigation.
  • Local search for millions of POIs around the world.
  • Coverage for Europe, North America and more.
Please click here to register.

For more information about Telmap visit www.Telmap.com.

Last edited by RobBrady on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work on the iPhone 3G?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just signed up for the Beta test with a Nokia N82. Looking forward to giving it a go.

We'll have to see if there's any form of NDA before discussing here, I guess.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it work on the iPhone 3G?

Check here. I can't see it listed. Isn't the GPS in the iPhone knobbled so it can't give real time GPS???
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Perhaps you can confirm whether this application uses maps resident on the device or does it download the data it requires as you drive?

I appreciate a user will need a data connection from the phone to participate in the test but that could be for feedback/ logging.

If it does need data for downloading maps then users should be aware of the anticipated data traffic per month in use or this could be a very costly option for those that don't read the Terms and Conditions.

I have every intention to give this a try once its available and data costs are not something I have an issue with, but I do think this needs clarification before someone comes back complaining of a huge phone bill having not read the small print - Mike
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, just looked at the Compatibility page and the N82 isn't on it. Will wait and see what happens. Serves me right for jumping in without research!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact device I have registered with isn't on their list but it should work as the earlier model is listed, one of the reasons for testing should be to widen the number of devices covered and to to identify issues with specific handsets, I hope they don't restrict the test to just those listed as the list looks a little dated to me - Mike
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If it does need data for downloading maps then users should be aware of the anticipated data traffic per month in use or this could be a very costly option for those that don't read the Terms and Conditions.

Thanks, good point Mike, I'll ask Telmap.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may answer the question about data usage...

http://global.telmap.com/Data/Uploads/articles/096-097_PDAE_74_1.pdf
Iron_Horse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, Just signed up now. Use a Samsung I900 be nice to see another GPS app :D
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you use the maps offline??

I know smart2go requires network usage unless you download the maps before....hopefully telmap will have an offline capability.
Eugene7
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working on my HTC TyTn II...

Looks interesting, but am missing the ability to plot routes in advance, and can't seem to do much if no GPS connection.

Will keep playing.

Oh, and does anyone know the official feedback path? I've not been sent anything for feedback as yet...
Telmap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Telmap User Group Questions Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to answer the questions that have come up.
1. Offline maps.
Telmap Navigator is a pure off-board solution. Off line maps are not currently supported. Each time you need something, a request is sent to the server and the route/map/search result is downloaded on demand.
However...
2. Data usage
We have found that typical usage of 8 - 10 routes per MONTH consumes about 1 - 1.5 MB. When navigating within one's home network this should not incur high data charges. When roaming, data charges will of course be much higher. So we never ask our users to do testing while roaming abroad. However the user is indeed free to use the application at their own discretion with the full knowledge that they will pay roaming data charges.
3. Support for Nokia N82
N82 is indeed supported. When browsing with an N82 to the download page it should be recognized automatically. If not you should be able to select it from the list displayed.
4. Support for iPhone
Sorry - not at this time :-(
5. Feedback
We will be conducting feedback surveys by email and phone for "organized" feedback gathering with specific questions - but we are also happy to receive sporadic feedback to tugadmin-at-telmap-dot-com at any time

I hope that covers it.
Telmap User Grop Administrator
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been testing this today with two 30 minute routes... I should point out that I have an unlimited UK data contract (T-Mobile web and walk).

It is quicker than I expected, routes well, TTS (which I have never had), has traffic and speed cams.

One of my issues is the amount I have to press the keyboard. If you want to know your eta, you have to press keys, if you want to change your destination, you have to stop navigation and then start again. But the biggest draw back I have found is POI. Maybe I am missing soemthing as it is only day one, but I cannot use them and as I have over 1000 entries across 4 personal POIs. I am worried that these are not usable.
The 3D screen needs to have contrast between the surrounding roads and the direction you are on.

Liked most of it - will try using it again on my next trip.

Last edited by SimonCatlin on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogerOC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs well on a Nokia N96 (Using N95 Download)

Roger.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: