Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tele Atlas release maps with MapShare updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tele Atlas release maps with MapShare updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Tele Atlas release maps with MapShare updates Reply with quote

Just a few weeks after the take over by TomTom Tele Atlas release maps with incorporated MapShare information from TomTom. TomTom has been collecting data from the community for over a year now on its SatNav devices and through the MapShare feature. This has now gone full circle and has been included in the 2008.10 map release from Tele Atlas and is available to all SatNav users rather than just TomTom clients.

During yesterdays press conference it would appear that the MapShare input has gone through some stringent validation before being released to other Tele Atlas clients. So hopefully some of the errors that MapShare introduces will have been discarded.

This mapping release incorporates 55,000 changes from the 4,000,000 reported in MapShare. A lot of these will be duplicates and invalid entries, but this still leaves a huge number of reports not yet actioned. Tele Atlas stated that initially they were including Traffic Flow and Street Names, of which 20,000 were in the North America map and 35,000 are in the Europe maps. The number of improvements incorporated from MapShare equals the number of inputs from all other data sources, making the MapShare Community the largest single contributor to mapping corrections for Tele Atlas. It will be interesting to see how effective these modifications really are to the mapping data and what the effect of 3 months MapShare changes will be in the next map release.

The 2008.10 maps will take some time to be available on SatNav devices in the retail stores and for updates to existing devices. This is because each manufacturer has a process to extract relevant map data and reformat it into a proprietary format, test it and then release it. Companies with online mapping updates should be able to release the maps early November.

Tele Atlas press release wrote:
Tele Atlas Releases Industry’s First Global Digital Map Database to Use Community-Provided Data to Identify and Validate Changes

MultiNet Version 2008.10 Combines Community Input with Tele Atlas’ Vast Source Network to Further Enhance Database Development and Accuracy

‘s-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands, 27 October 2008 — Tele Atlas, a leading global provider of digital maps and dynamic content for navigation and location-based solutions, today announced that the new version of its MultiNet® digital map database is the first global digital map database to use community-provided data to validate changes. Released in October, MultiNet version 2008.10 incorporates community input provided by TomTom users in Europe and North America that strengthened Tele Atlas’ map change detection and validation process. MultiNet version 2008.10 also features an initial delivery of major specification upgrades including improved navigation, visualization and search capabilities.

To update its maps, Tele Atlas captures and verifies changes from more than 50,000 global sources, ranging from government documents and public safety officials to construction companies and truck drivers, as well as satellite and aerial imagery. By adding active contributions from individual TomTom users as an additional source, Tele Atlas is able to increase the total number of changes identified by its network, particularly in geographically dispersed and rural areas covered less frequently by other data sources. For MultiNet 2008.10, Tele Atlas used community data to identify and validate more than 50,000 changes related to street names and traffic direction corrections in Europe and North America. Notably, in this version of the database, the total number of changes detected by community input for street name and traffic direction attributes in Europe and North America already matches the number of changes made using all other sources for those specific attributes in these regions

“End user communities are becoming a key component permitting companies to enhance their services with real-time information,” said Dominique Bonte, Research Director, Telematics and Navigation at ABI Research. “By effectively harnessing this community-based feedback, digital maps and location-based content will offer more accurate, up-to-date information for the delivery of more powerful navigation experiences.”

Tele Atlas applies stringent quality assurance procedures to process all of the data from its comprehensive source network. As the volume of community-provided data increases, the engines and systems through which this input is reviewed and validated by Tele Atlas will generate improvements in overall operational efficiency and reduce the time required to update its database. 

“The release of MultiNet version 2008.10 marks another important step toward Tele Atlas’ goal to use community input to deliver better maps, faster,” said Bill Henry, CEO of Tele Atlas.  “Tele Atlas’ history of innovation has positioned the company as a global leader in map testing processes and methodologies. We look forward to incorporating an even greater scope and volume of community data from additional sources, such as end users of wireless, Internet and personal navigation systems or enterprise applications using our data, to further increase the quality, richness and timeliness of Tele Atlas maps.”

Improved Navigation, Visualization and Search
Tele Atlas MultiNet 2008.10 delivers an expanded set of advanced navigation, visualization and search capabilities for Tele Atlas customers and application developers to leverage in their navigation and location-based solutions and products.

In this release, new advanced navigation features offer additional information on road attributes such as HOV (high-occupancy vehicle) lanes and improved data on variable road speeds. MultiNet 2008.10 also includes improved visualization capabilities that will enable Tele Atlas’ application partners to customize displays of various water element types, such oceans, seas and lakes.

Additionally, MultiNet 2008.10 offers extended availability of the locality index, which provides advanced address search capabilities through expanded multi-language support of place names. For example, an English-speaking tourist in Portugal can search for the city name “Lisbon” instead of using the Portuguese name “Lisboa.” New advanced navigation features available via licensing for coverage in Canada and the United States include geometry accurate to 1-5 meters that supports enhanced ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) slope and curvature products.

The 2008.10 marks the initial release of many of these advanced features; regionally availability varies currently and is scheduled to expand in future releases.

NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame that TeleAtlas have no interest in incorporating the changes reported directly through it's own Map Insight system. This has been discussed a lot in other threads, but in summary, most people have found that reporting problems through Map Insight, results in nothing Sad

Let's hope that by incorporating the mapshare data, some really obvious and major map problems like incorrect one-way designations will be quickly fixed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even TomTom have been very cavalier with their handling of reported map errors with very few being verified in any way and a disappointingly low number finally filtering through to a map cut.

You'd 'think' they would see user generated error reporting a a golden nugget to be leapt upon with both hands but there is scant evidence of it!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they'd realise that map errors are probably the MAIN reason that people become wary of sat nav (usually when hearing horror stories from friends). Having to pay for map upgrades which still contain old errors also dissuades people from buying future map upgrades as they figure that the new ones won't be any better either! It's therefore, strongly in their interest to sort out the map data problems so I don't really get why they don't seem to put any effort into it.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tele Atlas is drawing map data from MapShare, Map Insight, and Google Maps edits. There are literally thousands and thousands of corrections coming from those sources - there's no way of knowing how many people have submitted your particular correction, and Tele Atlas have to prioritize what corrections they do and don't implement.

That being said, this press release is a sign that they WILL have a system in place to take into account all of these edits. I'm not sure how you can say that they're not putting any effort into sorting out the map problems, when obviously the moves Tele Atlas and TomTom have made over the past year shows that they're doing exactly that.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That being said, this press release is a sign that they WILL have a system in place to take into account all of these edits. I'm not sure how you can say that they're not putting any effort into sorting out the map problems, when obviously the moves Tele Atlas and TomTom have made over the past year shows that they're doing exactly that.

I wish I could share your optimism, here in the UK the latest maps still do not show some major road changes done 5yrs ago and even 8yr old incorrect road names which I personally have reported via insight etc regulary over the last 2 yrs, Mapshare can only do minor changes like directions and road names etc, so personally i dont expect any improvement till Teleatlas/TomTom get to grips with its reporting procedures, so all i can say is in your dreams.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish I could share your optimism, here in the UK the latest maps still do not show some major road changes done 5yrs ago and even 8yr old incorrect road names which I personally have reported via insight etc regulary over the last 2 yrs, Mapshare can only do minor changes like directions and road names etc, so personally i dont expect any improvement till Teleatlas/TomTom get to grips with its reporting procedures, so all i can say is in your dreams.

Yes, MapShare corrections are smaller, but the point is is that Tele Atlas is expanding the number of sources it receives its information from. It's not just MapShare, or Map Insight, or Tele Atlas's usual mapping options - it's a combination of all of the above. I believe the numerous sources of information will basically smoke out all the places that need the most rehabilitation, and Tele Atlas can address those areas better now than they could before. No other map provider will be receiving the amount of information Tele Atlas will be getting.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It hasnt worked for the last 4 yrs or so, In my my opinion more information would would probaly mean overload and less results , the information I personally have been subnmitting could be easily verified from any A to Z, google Earth or Road Map without anybody getting off their Butt, so wheres the problem,excuse my international language.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the last releases of TomTom, i.e. Vers 6 to 8/9 you will find no signifiicant improvement in Map updates which should be the core basis of satnav, TomTom seem to just adding the frills and ignoring what Satnav is all about.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question, why is TomTom vers 6.60 Western Europe map (Navteq)more uptodate than vers 6.78 and vers 8 (both Teleatlas), speaking as a UK user, so not sure about USA, The mind boggles.
houghw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this very subject the other day too!

Over the last couple of years I have submitted a couple of dozen map share corrections, primarily missing or extra roundabouts.

I have also added some quite major amendments like huge swathes of missing trunk roads or roads with spurious breaks in the middle.

My Go is set to accept my corrections and those submitted by many and so far THE ONLY amendments that have appeared on my map are blocked roads.

If TomTom are not going to apply these updates, what is the point?

Wayne
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the last couple of years I have submitted a couple of dozen map share corrections, primarily missing or extra roundabouts.

I have also added some quite major amendments like huge swathes of missing trunk roads or roads with spurious breaks in the middle.

My Go is set to accept my corrections and those submitted by many and so far THE ONLY amendments that have appeared on my map are blocked roads.

If TomTom are not going to apply these updates, what is the point?

Well, it'd be Tele Atlas who'd implement the updates, not TomTom. If you upgrade your maps, you will have to reinput your MapShare update. Tele Atlas will begin to start implementing user input from here on out. I'd try going to the Tele Atlas Map Insight page (mapinsight.teleatlas.com) to get your map submissions to the source.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insight or TomTom, All mine have been submitted to both, It doesnt make a blind bit of difference, none have ever been updated, and they vary from incorrect street names roads closed and roads going thru buildings all being changed 5-10 yrs ago, dont forget Teleatlas is now TomTom anyway.
Milemonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: tele atlas/tom tom mapshare Reply with quote

I have a 4 month old tt 520 go and I think it's "fantastic" that there is still errors with the roads & god knows how many turn restrictions!!!! You will always get errors, new roads being built, but some of these roads have been there for years. Mapshare.. gimmick morelike. My latest go520 insists that I leave the A3, national speed limit duel c/way, go through Guildford then rejoin the A3 just north of Guildford. Even if I tell it to avoid the road it wants me to use it just finds an even more stupid route, it's like it doesn't reconize that part of the A3, southbound it seems to work properly.. doing my head in.. Are there any good sat navs out there?
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: tele atlas/tom tom mapshare Reply with quote

Milemonkey wrote:
I have a 4 month old tt 520 go and I think it's "fantastic" that there is still errors with the roads & god knows how many turn restrictions!!!! You will always get errors, new roads being built, but some of these roads have been there for years. Mapshare.. gimmick morelike. My latest go520 insists that I leave the A3, national speed limit duel c/way, go through Guildford then rejoin the A3 just north of Guildford. Even if I tell it to avoid the road it wants me to use it just finds an even more stupid route, it's like it doesn't reconize that part of the A3, southbound it seems to work properly.. doing my head in.. Are there any good sat navs out there?

Have you upgraded your 520 to the newest Tele Atlas maps? There's been quite a few map updates since the 520 came out, so your problem could've very likely been fixed. That also sounds like the fault of the routing, not the maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: