Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Launch GO x40 LIVE Range in the UK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, I spend 14 hrs every day strapped to a keyboard. You'd think I would have learnt to type properly by now wouldn't you!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, when you have tried the database supplied with the x40 please feel free to comment, a comparison between the PGPSW and Road Angel data would be interesting.

I know what the answer will be having tried both sources of data - and both were as up to date as possible Wink but please don't let this pre-judge any findings you might make, keep a good eye out for the mobile cameras though.......... - Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest in the TomTom range of SatNav systems was launched this week: The TomTom GO940 Live. We were at IFA in Berlin when it was announced back in late August, but Wednesday was the day it was launched in the UK.

October 29th a cold day in central London we were met at Liverpool St Station by a driver who claimed his "TomTom had to go back as it was on the blink...". The next thing the driver does is take the wrong turning out of the station... Suspicious activities for the launch of the latest TomTom GO 940 Live.

Well we had a number of presentations from TomTom before we got the chance to go out in the car and put the GO940 Live through its paces.

Click here for our report of the TomTom GO940 Live launch in London...

Video Resources for the TomTom GO940 Live UK Launch.

The day started with a presentation from Ian Pearson a Futurologist. Ian tracks technological evolution and tries to predict what will happen in the future... He has some interesting and controversial views on the 'damage' technology is doing to the environment, and also the trends of our throwaway society with technology having rapid obsolescence. Click here to watch Ian's presentation in Quicktime viewer. Click here to watch the presentation in Windows Media Player.

The next presentation was from the TomTom Managing Director Corinne Vigreux. Corinne gave us a corporate overview and brief introduction to the new technologies and concepts of the TomTom GO 940 Live. Click here to watch Corinne's presentation in Quicktime viewer. Click here to watch the presentation in Windows Media Player.

The final presentation before we put the device to the test was from Tom Brown. Tom went into detail of what the TomTom 940 does focusing on the HD Traffic, Routing, Local Search and Speed Cameras. There was also a nice short promo video at the beginning of his presentation. Click here to watch Tom's presentation in Quicktime viewer. Click here to watch the presentation in Windows Media Player.

Our Road Demo video gives a much better idea about the new TomTom GO 940 Live than I can portray in words. You can see the HD Traffic in action along with the Google Live Search.<br><br>
Click here to watch the GO940 Live demo drive in Quicktime viewer. Click here to watch the demo drive in Windows Media Player.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks! I like the drive showing it in practice. I better start saving.....................
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting indeed.

A few questions popped up in my head while viewing the nice presentations, that I hope to get an answer to soon:

1. Will any of the LIVE services, e.g. google search be made available without a HD receiver? It should be possible to obtain this data via GPRS on a regular mobile phone. As a matter of fact, all live services including the HD traffic should technically be possible to receive via GPRS, or am I missing some extraordinary feature built into this HD receiver?

2. Will the 24/7 IQ Routing be made available to x20/x30 devices soon via a new firmware or will it be kept only to the x40 users? Is this data built into the v810 maps already or is the next map release required? Which map release is supplied with the new x40 devices anyway?

3. Will an x20/x30 device with an accessory HD receiver provide the full set of features of the x40 or will some of them be excluded? If all features will be offered, a 720/730 with a HD receiver would actually give you a device with higher spec than a 740 since some of features have been removed (e.g mp3 and FM transmitter).

4. What specific enhancements have been made with regards to voice recogniton compared to x20/x30? There was very little information about this in the presentations.

Edit:
5. What kind of additions have been made to the advanced lane guidance?

Best regards,

Ulf
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
a 720/730 with a HD receiver would actually give you a device with higher spec than a 740 since some of features have been removed (e.g mp3 and FM transmitter).
This is NOT an answer to your question. It makes me wonder WHY they have removed some features from the 540/740. Might it be that these models with the wonderful new LIVE features simply don't have the power or memory to retain the ones they've dropped?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
uffe73 wrote:
a 720/730 with a HD receiver would actually give you a device with higher spec than a 740 since some of features have been removed (e.g mp3 and FM transmitter).
It makes me wonder WHY they have removed some features from the 540/740. Might it be that these models with the wonderful new LIVE features simply don't have the power or memory to retain the ones they've dropped?

I would suspect that there has been a hardware change that is incompatible with these features. Most likely would be a change in Bluetooth chip to one which does not support FM transmit or the high quality audio formats. It does seem a bit odd to be cost-cutting on the flagship product.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
I would suspect that there has been a hardware change that is incompatible with these features. Most likely would be a change in Bluetooth chip to one which does not support FM transmit or the high quality audio formats. It does seem a bit odd to be cost-cutting on the flagship product.

I doubt it when the 940 has both features. Aside from internal memory I'd be surprised if the lesser models were different in any other area and they can ue FM Tx using an optional accessory mount.

This is most likely a move to promote the 940 and differentiate over and above the maps or an odd cost cutting manoeuvre.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split all discussion of stock/purchase to a new thread here.

If your post is not concerning the x40 spec, technical etc and is purely about stock levels, purchase etc, please post there.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the videos/presentation MikeB, very informative!

Are the transeivers for the LIVE services GPRS, EDGE or HSDPA?

Have they [TomTom] developed the transeivers themselves, or have they worked in partnetship with Nokia/Samsung etc?

Does anyone know what the average data consumed (sent/recieved combined) was on your 'on-road' demonstrations?

Just out of interest.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Are the transeivers for the LIVE services GPRS, EDGE or HSDPA?

Not disclosed but I suspect plain GPRS
Quote:
Have they [TomTom] developed the transeivers themselves, or have they worked in partnetship with Nokia/Samsung etc?

Again not disclosed
Quote:
Does anyone know what the average data consumed (sent/recieved combined) was on your 'on-road' demonstrations?

No way of knowing, the data isn't measured in any form available to an end user and as the contract is a fixed fee there is no need for them to make that info available.
DomLof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one of these (the TomTom 940) at the Stuff show.

Can someone tell me if the connectors are the same as the 930?

I need to get a Brodit mount for it and there are no 940 mounts (yet).

Thanks

Dom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DomLof wrote:

Thanks

Dom

Npe, entirely different as the x40's have an active mount system. Both Brodit and Carcomm are working on solutions but it'll be a while before they're available.
DomLof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DomLof wrote:

Thanks

Dom

Npe, entirely different as the x40's have an active mount system. Both Brodit and Carcomm are working on solutions but it'll be a while before they're available.

OK Thanks for letting me know.

Do you know what I can do at the moment? Don't want to use the window suck thing if I can help it!

How about a passive holder for the 930? Then how do I supply power to the 940?

Dom
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to use the supplied mount as it has the mini-USB power connection. The device itself has only a proprietary multi-pin connector.

The mount is actually quite good though, give it a go!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: