Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Freeview Box Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeview Box Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Freeview Box Problems Reply with quote

Are any of you aware that there has been a change to the freeview transmission system which renders many television set top boxes useless.

Basically there has been a change of standard.

I have just retuned my 83 year old mothers set top box to check for upgrades only to find that all the channels are mixed up.

BBC1 used to be channel 1 now it is 817 etc. All the other useful ones are spread around the numbers.

I’ve just tried mine at home and it has exactly the same problem.

I think the one in my caravan is the same, I had put it down to a poor signal but the symptoms are the same.

I read on forums that this happened recently and has not been publicised in any way, probably because thousands of people would be screaming for compensation.

Apparently if you don’t retune you will not have any problems.

The Freeview web site says retune often to keep up to date, and also says the following well hidden on its site.

"BBC and ITV channels moving into the 800's
Due to recent transmission changes, some viewers with older manufactured set-top boxes may have experienced their BBC and ITV channels changing location in the electronic programme guide and moving into the 800's.E.g. BBC1 appears as 801 on the EPG rather than 001.

Duplicate channels are sometimes placed into the 800's when a viewer is in an area where the receiver picks up reception from 2 transmitters. Often the stronger signal is used and the channels from the weaker signal are placed in the 800's.

In this case, however, a viewer will have blank channels 1-4. The channels have not been lost, but moved into the 800's. This issue is not related to digital switchover and products will not be affected in this way throughout the switchover process.

Where possible, manufacturers have been working on a solution in the form of an over air download (OAD). So far, the following manufacturers have confirmed the dates for the download;

3-5 and 6 - 13 October - Humax MG-TU1

A step-by-step guide to the download can be found here; download guide

3-6 September - Daewoo DS700, Bush DFTA3

6-8 September - Astratec TOPD1, Matsui TUTV1, Ferguson FDT2500

22-25 September - Sony TV models;
KD-28DX40U, KD-32DX100U, KD-32DX40U, KD-32NX100U, *KD-32DX150U, KD-32NX200U, KD-36NX200U, KP-44DX2U

25-29 September - Sony TV models;;
KD-28DL10U, KD-28DX200U, KD-28DX50U, *KD-32DX150U, KD-32DX200U, KD-32DX50U, KDE-P37XS1, KD-EP42XS1, KDL-L-32MRX1, KDL-L42MRX1, KDE-P42MRXI, KDE-P50MRX1, KDE-P61MRX1.

If you are still experiencing problems, we recommend that you call your manufacturer. Contact details for manufacturers can be found here.

*Please note: model KD-32DX150U may have either type of software, if OAD1 fails then please try OAD2".

Digital UK web site says this, also well hiddem,

"DMOL, the company which manages technical changes to the Freeview platform, has made some necessary network enhancements affecting some Freeview digital boxes. The majority of homes will be totally unaffected but some early-manufactured digital boxes will stop working and viewers will need to replace their equipment to continue receiving the Freeview service.
This only affects people who bought some of the early models of digital boxes branded Daewoo, Labgear, Triax and Bush and is limited to the following models:
Set- top boxes:
• Daewoo DS608P
• Labgear DTT100
• Triax DVB 2000T
• Portland DP100
Combined set-top box and video recorder:
• Daewoo SV900
• Bush IDVCR01
We recommend that any customers with affected equipment should contact Freeview on 0870 111 1270 or access their FAQs online at www.freeview.co.uk

None of mine are on these lists and in any case, the download dates are all past. As for older models I bought the one in the caravan last year for £150, it has a built in recorder.

This seems to be a much more widespread problem than they admit, and they seem to have no viable solution other than buy a new box and throw the old one into landfill.

Does any one have the same problem or a solution.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if itis anything to do with this.

Quote:
High-definition television (HDTV) on Freeview
Freeview viewers across the UK will be able to watch high definition TV channels possibly as early as next year, media regulator Ofcom and the BBC Trust announced on the 3rd of April 2008.

New technology and a reorganisation of the way channels are allocated on digital terrestrial television platform will free up space for four Freeview HDTV services.

The first three HD channels will be available as digital switchover takes place in the Granada TV region in the north-west of England and subsequent regions from 2009. All four HD channels should be available across the country by the time digital switchover is due to be completed in 2012.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is yet to happen.

I think us poor souls will buy new boxes to overcome the problem I have identified above and then next year, when this change is implemented, we will have to buy new boxes again.

All this and switch off the analogue network at the same time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying as a re-index must be, it doesn't stop you watching the channels though? So why would you need a new box?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, on my parents telewest (now virgin media) digital box bbc1 was channel 101, bbc2 was 102, itv was 103 etc.

it's no big deal to press 801 or 101 to watch bbc1 is it?!

MaFt
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a problem. She is 83 with very little memory. She cannot cope.

The popular channels are scattered throughout 90 channels, most of which are of no interest to her.

I'd have to make up a table of the channels she wants to watch with their new numbers.

The principle is that they are forcing digital TV on everyone, then when you make the change, they mess it up without thinking through the consequences, costing individuals a lot of money.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would buying a new box resolve it? If it's simply a case of a software update then there is no need for a new box?
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SONY KD-32DX40 has lost all of the Freeview channels.

Sony Customer Support says I should have used the over air update.

Its turned on on my tv but if you did not watch 3 hours of bbc channels between the dates it was broadcast then it did not work.

So now I face a £70.50 charge from a Sony dealer to have it updated to work again. What a total rip-off.

Did they tell us there is / was a problem, no. I am a registered user on Sony web site for any news etc. But they did not send me any emails on this.

I have a Philips, Toshiba and also my Digital PC TV and all work just fine.

Shall not ever buy Sony again, cr*p tv's, cr*p video, cr*p video camera, all have been back to dealer for one reason or another.

Sony TV models affected by this are:

KDL-L32MRX1 KDL-L42MRX1
KDE-P42MRX1 KDE-P50MRX1
KDE-P60MRX1 KDE-P37XS1
KDE-P42XS1 KD-28DX200
KD-32DX200 KD-28DX40
KD-28DX50 KD-32DX40
KD-32DX50 KD-28DL10
KD-32NX100 KD-32NX200
KD-36NX200 KP-44DX2
KD-32DX150 KD-32DX100

So just a few. Come back Watch Dog, I need you.

O'h, Sony Customer Care reply, TV's like computers get out-dated, what a comment on a £650 tv when I purchased it new.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is bad, how the heck is anyone supposed to know this? And regardless there should be an facility to update from a memstick or something.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tv messed up after an over the air update so i rang daewoo (the maker) who sent me a card that i put in the back of the tv ('common interface' slot if i remember correctly) which provided the update correctly with no issues. this was free of charge from what i would describe as a relatively 'naff' company - however their service was excellent and the issue was resolved within 2 days - 1.5 of which was waiting for the card to be delivered.

i would have thought that sony, being what i class as a 'good' company, would have a similar set up? i really can't see how they can compare a tv to a computer though!!

from experiance the best freeview boxes i've had/seen used have been the cheapy ones from asda (durabrand) - i couldn't fault it and almost regret giving it to my sister in law when we got the tv with freeview integrated!

MaFt
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most boxes the only way to update software is via a terrestrial broadcast via the aerial lead. They dont have USB or card slots.

Due to limited capacity on freeview they can only put your box update on for a few days. Also if your manufacturer doesn't choose to support your moderl or doesn't exist any more, your upgrade won't be broadcast.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD on Freeview - coming by late 2009:

See HERE (opens in a new window)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: