Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removal of Mobile Camera Positions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removal of Mobile Camera Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Removal of Mobile Camera Positions Reply with quote

Can someone explain what is the criteria for the removal of mobile camera positions. I have noticed two sites recently which are not on the downloaded database although they are still shown on the site database with a red cross through them.
The first was mobile position 6540 on the A49 which still has the white marks on the carriageway although they are a little worn.
The second was mobile position 6969 on the A4103 which still had the marks clearly on the carriageway and also the purpose built parking spot for the camera vans.
Although I did not see a camera van at either site I wondered why they were not left on the database as possible positions or what information led to their removal.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess I would say that they have been removed because they had not been reported as seen again, and had been removed in a recent purge.

See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=65776&highlight=

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. The link above takes you to the April Fool joke of 1st April 2008. Embarassed Embarassed

A more believable link is HERE

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both replies and I have looked at the links.
I accept that they were probably removed because they had not been reported for some time but in the case of position 6969 there was a purpose built layby. I would think that this type of site is more permanent even if it has not been verified recently.
Chris.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris444 wrote:
Thanks for both replies and I have looked at the links.
I accept that they were probably removed because they had not been reported for some time but in the case of position 6969 there was a purpose built layby. I would think that this type of site is more permanent even if it has not been verified recently.
Chris.
It would have been verified BEFORE it was added to the database. It will have been removed because it hasn't been reported as "seen again" recently. If it IS reported as "seen again" it will be returned to the active database WITHOUT a 2nd verification.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes fair comment but personally I would prefer to be warned of a possible mobile site and think that it needs longer than 12 months without a report before they are removed from the database.
I don't know how other members feel about this.
Do you get many "seen again" reports and what proportion of the membership puts in these reports? The only carrot for a "seen again" report is obviously a more accurate database.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look back again at the link I posted, you'll see MaFt said that 6,000 mobiles had not been reported "seen again" in the last six months and 5,500 not in the last 12 months.

You preference to have them retained is raising "The Great PMobile Debate" all over again. The database was becoming a minefield of mobile camera warnings because no purging was done - you'd like to hear them, others were getting sick of them.

I think if you consider MaFt's statement about no seen again reports for six/twelve months, you might be persuaded that to purge them is no really bad thing. Those camera vans haven't been seen for a very long time, so one conclusion is that they've stopped using that particular site.

The PGPSW database has a huge reputation and I think the general consensus has been that purging unseen mobiles is a good thing to protect and preserve that reputation. Nobody wants to remove active sites, but crying Wolf has a history.

Chris444
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information.
Being a relatively new member I did not realise that there had been so much discussion on this subject in the past anyway at least my original question has been answered.
Sorry for raising the pmobile debate again.
Chris.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you have just earned my undying respect. This subject crops up very regularly and it is rare that the originator of such a thread accepts the situation as gracefully as you - more often than not we have to go through another "Great PMobile Debate".

Not Worthy Clap Thank you.

lochaber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We now PURGE Mobile sites that are not reported as 'Seen Again' after 12 months (Live Database) and 6 months (pMobiles).

Having only just seen this note on the website can I request the mobile cameras in remote areas be kept for much longer?

The reason being that the local Police Forces in the Highlands use mobile units on an occasional basis which are on loan for about 1 week when they have a purge. After that you might not see one for another year or two in the same location.

Maybe that's why I came across one not in the database, especially as it's not a road I use very often.

Edited by DennisN - I think this layout is probably more like what you intended?
crowvalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have passed a mobile camera today on the A4042 that was in the camera database up to Version 6.112 ---05 November 2008. Unfortunately I am running V8 navcore so am unable to report it as being seen again. I can fully understand why the database is being purged but unfortunately as the newer TomToms come to market there is less and less TomTom owners that can report the camera's. Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowvalley wrote:
Unfortunately I am running V8 navcore so am unable to report it as being seen again. I can fully understand why the database is being purged but unfortunately as the newer TomToms come to market there is less and less TomTom owners that can report the camera's. Sad

You've lost me! How does Navcore 8 stop you from reporting "Seen Again" on THIS PAGE?

crowvalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats an easy question to answer, we are not all computer literate and I do not know how to get the latitude and longtitude, also the camera capture software does not work on a TomTom with V7 & 8 navcore. Unless of course I have missed something in which case I am sure I will be quickly corrected for every ones benefit.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowvalley wrote:
Well thats an easy question to answer, we are not all computer literate and I do not know how to get the latitude and longtitude, also the camera capture software does not work on a TomTom with V7 & 8 navcore. Unless of course I have missed something in which case I am sure I will be quickly corrected for every ones benefit.
Please don't think I'm shoving "computer literate" in your face - the page I linked to is the page on this forum which you use to submit new cameras and which you use to report "seen again" Mobiles. Anyway, if you're "computer literate" enough to download the cameras and put them into a TomTom, you certainly have the ability to cope with camera reporting - I presume you are talking about the old POICapture which doesn't work in Nav7 & 8. If you'd like us to help you to learn how it's done now, please say so and I or someone else will take you through it as fast or slow as suits your style. I did try to jump the gun a bit by looking at the map, but I can't find A4042 - I did find A4041 in Birmingham area, so maybe it's near there? In the meantime, for coordinates to show on your TomTom, go to Browse Map, Options and select Coordinates. Then in Change Preferences ... Set Units ... go through to "How should Latitudes and Longitudes be displayed? and select Degrees (d.d). Those two settings will allow you to get coordinates from the map display on your TomTom.

If you'd like to go further with this, please PM me rather than us blocking up this thread by going off topic and I'll be very happy to help.

crowvalley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.M sent

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: