Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Solobay, I have no suggestions. Hopefully someone closer to your area will be able to check on their own device.
Samsung Galaxy S21
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what the problem is. I get the traffic via tmc living in newcastle and know the part of the road is closed via the tmc traffic. It appeared when the severe weather hit the area and that road was closed. It is NOT a mapshare issue, but an Itis traffic issue!

iPhone 12
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the spot and problem - so any ideas on how to get this fixed - me I just ignore it but others may be taking all sorts of detours
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to contact ITis the data supplier to tomtom or the highways agency if it is them that is reporting it

iPhone 12
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought people would be interested in a positive experience i had today with the TMC-RDS.

Since getting my replacement unit from TT i have had improved reception, i work mainly around London and the Home Counties and generally apart from a couple of odd occassions the circle has remained green all the time.

I will point ot that the validity of the info is a separate issue, but today whilst in a parking garage off commercial street, preparing to make my way home, i turned on the unit. It duly informed me of no gps signal and the arrow flying over the car looking for a TMC signal. By the time i had rolled me fag and completed my pre-flight checks up came my green circle, while still in the garage i was surpised to say the least.

By the way i do not have any special install just the aerial wire leaving my central Brodit mount across the top of the dash to the windscreen and then across to the offside pillar.

Can anyone here report this improvement or am i just lucky so far?

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Elastic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled down to the South coast and back yesterday and the TMC showed a permanant green all the time.

Even the information was correct about delays on the M25 and the location.

Just a pity I couldn't do anything about it.

Crying or Very sad

Since the latest OS update TMC actually works. At least I now know what I'm heading for....
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Cannot tune manually Reply with quote

I have a few problems with my new TomTom 920 TMC (bought 3 days ago from PC World), wonder if anyone can offer any advice and is anyone having the same manual tuning issue?

I live in Rotherham and commute to Sheffield, I think the Classic FM station if relevant is 101.1

When first switching it at the start of my journey on it searches for a station and often takes over 5 minutes to find one and then get the data. Mostly it finds 101.1 (although it doesn't say which radio station it thinks that is).

It then re-tunes roughly evey 5 minutes, taking a minutes or two to get a lock and update.

To avoid all this tuning and re-tuning I have tried a many times to set the station manually to 101.1 manually (TomTom mostly locks onto 101.1, and my car radio says Classic FM is 101.1 so I think that's the correct frequency).

What happens then is that it says "Tuning to 101.10 for a few seconds" immediately followed by "Unable to find a station at 101.10. Finding another station ..." After about a minute it locks onto 101.1 FM even though it just said it couldn't find a station at that frequency.

I've tried typing in other frequencies between 100 and 102 but that doesn't help I've tried typing 101.01, 101.1 and 101.10 and that doesn't help.

Is it worth setting the frequency manually in any case, or is it best to let the TMC keep retuning as it does every few minutes?

Or, could this be a fault in my TMC receiver or TomTom 920?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like TMC working correctly in a borderline reception area.
I don't know your area so I can't comment on the reception you might expect.
If it connects and downloads data every 5 minutes that should be ok to give you adequate warning of traffic problems.
Forget about tuning manually just let it do it's own thing. The behavior you describe when you try to tune manually is what should happen if the signal is weak or absent.
Have you tried moving the aerial wire to different positions to improve the reception?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pcaouolte it sounds like it is working to me, the manual tune option is a waste of time as the device will resume the auto tune process far to quickly even when you enter the correct frequency for your area (which you are doing, Holme Moss transmits Classic FM using 101,1 and is a high power station with a good area coverage).
Just leave the unit to auto tune, what software version have you got installed to the 920, the removal of the radio station name was something TomTom did in quite a distant software update - Mike
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did move the aerial wire slightly further from the edge of the windscreen and that helps a bit - although I can't manually tune even if I take the aerial outside. I've been watching it and it does tend to get updates (including retuning) probably every 5 minutes so no problem.

Only issues are that sometimes it says its autotuning, but get stiuck on single frequency, doesn't rotate through any other frequencies, or it doesn't show a frequency at all. In this state it never works. I find I have to pull out the cable and re-insert. (Note I always make sure the cable is fully inserted before use).

Any thoughts on that? Although I can get it working, its not good to have to mess about when actually driving (which tends to be when I notice is not actually tuned in for a while).
angusr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anita - thx Reply with quote

Solobay wrote:
From Multimap - it will be within 100yds of these!

Grid ref: NT252674
Lat: 55:53:39N (55.89424)
Lon: 3:11:51W (-3.19762)

Ahh, the mysterious "City of Edinburgh Bypass closed eastbound after the Lothianburn exit" problem. That was one of the bits of the Bypass closed after the extreme weather in August, and for some unknown reason this bit never reopened as far as RDS-TMC is concerned. It was still "closed" this weekend.

It's not marked on the Traffic Scotland site (it's not the Highways Agency who are the provider for Scotland) so I'm presuming it's either an issue at the RDS-TMC provider or it's somehow "stuck" in a buffer on the device. Is there a buffer folder somewhere?
mda1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:

Can anyone here report this improvement or am i just lucky so far?

Dave

I used my new TMC unit for the first time on Friday night to travel from Bradford to Warwick.
I got a signal very quickly and had a full green circle all the way to Tibshelf Services where we stopped for a comfort break. It then picked up a signal again and held it until we arrived.
The data on there seemed to be ok too, picking up both sets of road works on the M1 and M40 and correctly not giving any delay.

My only slight complaint would be that the whole system seemed to slow down considerably after plugging in the receiver. The menus were slower and there was a noticeable lag on the map. Not a huge problem as I was only on motorways but could have been more of a problem if I was navigating into a city centre.

I have a TT One v4 (or 30 series or whatever it’s being called these days)

Marcus

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: