Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC Touch Diamond & TomTom v6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC Touch Diamond & TomTom v6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: HTC Touch Diamond & TomTom v6 Reply with quote

HI...I have just read the one question on hear about HTC Diamond and istall problems using v5, Just want to no if any one has had any luck installing v6 on the Touch Diamond.

I have read and its not a supported item which I'm not happy abouit usually TomTom get things sorted resonably quickly when a new device comes out but this time they seem to be dragging they feet.

I did do a search a couple of weeks ago through google and came accross a work around that someone had posted but forgot to save the link and cant find it now.

Any help would be greatfully recieved.

itopman
Long time TomTom customer....perhaps time for a change
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Thread, read the post by PeterC10 who details how to install TTN6 to the Touch Diamond.

TomTom can hardly be expected to test their old software on every new device, what I would like to see is a retail version of the TTN7 package. Ironically the Touch Diamond by O2 Germany has TTN7 pre installed so they know it works, but they choose not to sell it - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: HTC with v6 does not work Reply with quote

HI..I had read the thread that you suggested and i had also tried that procedure and it did not work for me.

copied all data over Ok but did not auto start up i also tried to open the .exe file but would not work with error not recognised
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why you are trying to open the .exe file, unless you meen you are trying to run the application by tapping the .exe?

Lets try and sort this out though, if you click Here you can download the latest TomTom Navigator 6 release directly to your PC.
Once you have the file use WinRar (which you can download from Here ) to open the download file, this will produce the following:

2577 folder
install.bif
Start.exe

You now have two choices, you can extract the folder and files to the storage media on your phone, which should auto run the installer once you disconnect the phone from the PC or use the manual CAB install method:

On your PC use WinRar to open the download file, this will produce the following:

2577 folder
install.bif
Start.exe

In the WinRar window double click the 2577 folder to open it and you will find a file ttn.cab simply copy this one file to the phone and put it in a known location (its just under 6MB in size) the other files are not necessary, now using file explorer on the phone locate the ttn.cab file and tap it to start the installation of the application - let us know how far you get with the above as either method will work - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom and HTC diamond Reply with quote

HI..thanks for the advise managed to download latest version and install on to Diamond ok although had to extract files which auto ran as the .cad file would not run when selected.

Just need to install my maps now can i do this through tomtom home?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can use TomTom Home, although I try to avoid it at all times, in fact I used it earlier to get you the download link so it does have some uses I guess - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. tried it with tomtom home and it stated it completed but htc can not see any maps installed, what is the other way of doing it plese, guess just copy the folder UK and IE plus major roads of WE to memory drive.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itopman wrote:
guess just copy the folder UK and IE plus major roads of WE to memory drive.
Yes that should work, then the device will ask for the map activation code which you will have to get using the product code and device code via www.ttcode.com - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you help in getting this to work, all up and runing now. shame TomTom can't get this procedure sorted so users can use this device. I did rasie this with them through my TomTom account but all you get back from them is check the compatibility list not really the answer long term exsisting customer want to hear. (used TomTom since version 3)

Perhaps they dont support the devie but they could offer a work around as its proved its working on sites like this.

keep up the good work and again thanks for your help Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itopman wrote:
all you get back from them is check the compatibility list not really the answer long term exsisting customer want to hear..........Perhaps they dont support the devie but they could offer a work around as its proved its working on sites like this.

Glad to hear you got it all working, the ironic thing about the hardware you are using is that TomTom offer the version 7 navigator software built in to the ROM if you purchase the phone through O2 Germany. Therefore claiming the hardware is unsupported is even stranger for this device - Mike
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Glad to hear you got it all working, the ironic thing about the hardware you are using is that TomTom offer the version 7 navigator software built in to the ROM if you purchase the phone through O2 Germany. Therefore claiming the hardware is unsupported is even stranger for this device - Mike

'Supported device' lists are not merely the hardware platforms that the software is known to run on, but also the platforms that their staff are trained (and funded) to provide advice for. Hence, in the case of TT7 whilst it may work on the device I suspect the support for it is obtained from O2 Germany for those customers that need it and not directly from TomTom.

Mathew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you say is quite correct, but there are, and have been some glaring omissions in the past, take the HTC P3300 Artemis, it came preloaded with TomTom Navigator 6 but wasn't on the list for supported devices - to be honest the list of supported/ approved devices is about as much use as the list produced detailing which mobile phones work with the PNA range of units.

I appreciate that TomTom cannot test every feature of every phone, but they don't help themselves on this issue at all, to be honest lists such as these might as well be discontinued as they are so far out of date they serve little point IMHO, whether a phone was on a supported list wouldn't influence my choice of phone at all - Now I wonder if that Google Android powered device that HTC have made will connect to a TomTom PNA??? - I will be finding out very soon, although if it doesn't connect to the 720 or 930 it really doesn't matter to me - Mike
itopman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to change my device quite regularly which included the P3300 & Touch I have always had issues with there compatibility list as you say may as well not exist. as well as issues with only been able to use the activation three times before having to call TT and explain that I change my device a lot and need to activate it on a new device.

I no TT can not support all devices there are lots of them out there but they could be a little more supportive and give there customers a little more guidance by pointing them to sites such as this one that help get users working, not a good idea just to say sorry its not on the list so we can not help, bad for long customer relations.

I'm with you on the point of influence my choice of phone, I like new toys and will continue to change my device as often as I feel its needed and if TT doesn’t want to support customer like me then I will look else where for a solution to go with my choice.

Google Android... mmm heard some good reviews main point for me would be the touch screen usability not as hot as it should be on the diamond -Brian
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My largest reservation about the G1 Android device is battery life, I am hearing bad reports on this from early users.

As to support, well spread the word amongst your mates etc. I am sure if any of them have GPS related issues/ questions there will be others around to answer them - Mike
Fucawi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Similar problems with installing TTN6 to an O2 XDA Ignito Reply with quote

I have followed this thread when installing TTN6 from DVD onto my new XDA Ignito. I have run Tom Tom from the early days when it was Routeplanner on the Psion 5MX and I have to admit to being a bit let down by them at this juncture.
I have always purchased the software from Tom Tom and up to TTN6 we have received advanced notice of new versions and a discount has been available for existing users, but not this time! I used TTN5 on my XDA Orbit, but the maps needed upgrading so I plumped for the TTN6 even though TTN 7 is due out in the near future.
Wish I hadn't bothered..... Tom Tom Home is a pain in the @rse and I have spent the past two days trying to get around the system and get TTN6 working. I followed the current install routine to the letter and then folllowed Mike's instructions for good measure, but to no avail. I had the system installed and working and had set up all my preferences (Home/Units/voice et al), but after turning the system off, I cannot get any further than the Tom Tom splash screen and the legal warning about driving and using SatNav and then it tells me that it cannot find the maps. The maps are in the in the internal storage area along with folder 2577 and all the other files. So what is going wrong here. When I started the system up after the umpteenth install and it worked, the GPS was connected, the maps looked good, but after going back to the programme screen and selecting the TT icon to start the programme it has been as much use as a chocolate tea pot.......

Can anyone help with this?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: