Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seriously impressed with v8 routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seriously impressed with v8 routing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Seriously impressed with v8 routing Reply with quote

Over several years I've refined my route to work to avoid various pinch points along the way where traffic builds up, and have now reached the stage where I take a very indirect route, but one which I believe is as close to optimal as I can get.

For chuckles, I'll occasionally take along a GPS and try different routing options to see what they'll come up with. I've recently tried it with an iPaq 314, a Navigon 2100max, a Sony NV-U83, and my old O2 Orbit running TT6, using a variety of fastest, shortest, most economical, and 'nicest' routing. They nearly always picked a fairly direct route straight into the traffic areas, and then doggedly tried to make me U-turn back onto that route whenever I tried to avoid the traffic.

I've just bought a TT 520 and updated it to the v8 software / maps (this was much more difficult than it ought to have been, and required several support emails, but that's another story!). The routing is quite a revelation - it tracks about 95% of my 'optimal' route and then quickly accepts my reroute towards the end of the journey, rather than continually suggesting U-turns. It's definitely given me a lot more confidence in its ability to route me sensibly through areas I know less well.

So, two-thumbs-good for me, and I'd heartily recommend this package. Having picked it up for about £140 delivered, including vouchers for a year's speed camera subscription and a future map update, and updated to v8 for free, I'm really pleased. Thumbs Up
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ansalmo
I have the 720 with the latest map and I too find it works brilliantly. My model is similar to your 520 but has the maps of Europe installed. I have travelled extensively over the UK and Europe and can not think of a better navigating aid. I often wonder how I once managed when driving in London or Paris with a map balanced on my knee. If I stopped and wound the window down to ask a passer by for directions in Paris he couldn’t speak French and if I asked someone in London he wouldn’t speak English.
Thank Gawd for the Tomtom.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to hear. You have obviously spent the time finding your "optimal" route and the new Tom is pretty much on the ball with it.
Thats one for all us lot who give it grief. I have a friend on another forum who had the most ridiculous routing on a particular trip that it wasn't funny, other members suggested some fixes and it turned out mapshare was the culprit.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LesP2008
I must admit that I have steered well clear of the Map share opportunity. When Mapshare was first announced I could see all kind of possible errors and pit- falls and I am glad that I have ignored the facility.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
ansalmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Thats good to hear. You have obviously spent the time finding your "optimal" route and the new Tom is pretty much on the ball with it.
Thats one for all us lot who give it grief. I have a friend on another forum who had the most ridiculous routing on a particular trip that it wasn't funny, other members suggested some fixes and it turned out mapshare was the culprit.

It took me rather by (pleasant) surprise when I reached one roundabout on my journey, where every other GPS had directed me straight over (usually into a 10-minute traffic queue at a stupid staggered crossroads down the road) and the 520 instead instructed me to turn left, which is the route I'd normally expect to take to avoid the jam. It's possibly worth mentioning that people unfamiliar with the area might be concerned if the GPS suggested this route, since it's very convoluted, though it is the quickest I've managed to find.

On the subject of Mapshare, I have it set up to download all changes as far as "submitted by many" if that makes much difference.

My other half is still using an old Garmin StreetPilot C310, and continually moans about the routing suggestions it (and the other ones that I've been using) makes. I was planning to pass on my Navigon 2100max to her, but I'm now sorely tempted to stump up for another TT520 for her in the hope that it might save me any more earbashing!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor & ansalmo,
Yes mapshare was a thing i used until recently. Although i never had any issues of crazy routing a lot of others have had.
I have heard of people useing friends units to block access to their village and others blocking off access to their street as their kids play in the road etc. This is why it is paramount that to work as it was intended then every correction has to be submitted honestly and VERIFIED honestly.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am running a 520 with the latest maps & have also found the routing to be far superior. On one regular trip I make between Liverpool & Southport all my previous Sat Nav devices & earlier TomTom map versions have insisted on routing me through the centre of Southport instead of using a longer but far quicker route. Even when I ignored the suggested route I would be constantly directed to return to it, however 8.10 is a revelation & is a first in directing me by the sensible, faster but longer route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: