Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Bluetooth receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Bluetooth receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Which Bluetooth receiver? Reply with quote

Right, I've read through a lot of stuff and I've narrowed it down to two options:

Antaris4 based Bluenext BN-905GR (51 channel, 27hours, -155db) for £25
MTK based Qstarz BT-Q818 (51 channel, -158db, 32hours) for £36.

Which do you think is the best option?
I've seen a lot of raving done about the MTK over the antaris and other but £11 would pay for the car mount so it isn't a negligble difference....

Was going to use this with a nokia E65.

Thanks!!!
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the Qstarz Q-818 from supergps on ebay - great price too. I think they supplied the review unit for this site and others.

It's a bit iffy tbh. However, that was through a windscreen that normally older sirfIII devices cannot get a signal through.
It was initially very hoppity and had a fair bit of drift.
It also seems to be slightly tardy in updating the position on the smart2go app. However, the more it is used the better it seems to get. Fixes started off in the 2min range, but even cold it is now picking up a signal in 10 to 50seconds. It is also more consistent and less fidgety on the map.
Things should get even better when i use it in my own vehicle with a normal windshield.

GoogleMaps is the prettiest app, but isn't very accurate with gps and the downloads are costly.
Smart2Go or nokia software is more accurate for road tracking but a less nice mapping display - less detail and more wasted space.

I'm really irritated that smart2go want £70 for a year of voice nav!!!!
I wish they allowed you to use the GPS position and a route plotted so you could follow without voice directions but that isn't possible Sad

All in all, for £35 total I got a device that will tell me where I am and what is nearby. TBH that is more valuable than something that points me from A and B without using my brain. It's not perfect, but better than £60+ on a dedicated device. False economy perhaps, but there is always other software for the phone and I might be getting a blackberry soon anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: