Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What's happening to TomTom Plus services?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What's happening to TomTom Plus services?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
But aren't the people who buy the product supposed to have a device that does what it says it will do?

For most users it does though, hence their solid sales records, users on forums such as these are not 'normal' users. You have higher expectations (rightly so) but so long as TT continue to sell devices then where is the incentive to solve all the issues? You can vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere next time. If there were a better option I'd be first in line.

I like TomTom's devices but I want more competition and I want someone to come along with a world beater. As yet I have not found one that ticks as many boxes for my usage as TT does but I live in hope.

Quote:
Should they have to resort to all the fantastic helpers on here?

Well I'd always look to a forum for support before I gave up and rang a manufacturer but I take your point and we have to remember that not everyone is an Internet user or knows of us!
Quote:
I think the thing is, and I am sitting here trying to put it into words, the relationship between TT and Joe Public seems strange,

the Beta Testers having to chase their maps, disgraceful attitude from a world renowned company.

LMG not working, you have to supply a multitude of information that the computer wary may struggle with - it SHOULD work

The topics about problems that have been around for donkeys and still not solved - not good enough

but other things they are brilliant at, and one of them is getting you from A to B, which is after all what it is all about.

I have no idea if I have got my POV across, but it is something that has bamboozled me, in my short time of being a user of a TT.

You're only seeing issues on forums though, that's why these companies don't operate support forums, they give a distorted view of the product.

LMG works for most users but I agree many issues have been unresolved for way too long, no excuse for that and I'm not here to defend them. TomTom appear to have more complaints than others but its not an accurate representation they are simply more popular and hence have higher sales = more issues.

Many have had a good experience with CS but happy customers rarely post in forums to say so.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a happy customer, personally.

The only problems I have faced were the LMG issue, took me 10 minutes to resolve, scanned in a few docs. rang them up and it was sorted, and they were brilliant, also farted around with a few bits at the start, messed it up, but took your forums advice and had done a back up, and it all came back as originally purchased

My device is brilliant, don't really use the Bluetooth as I always forget my phone.

Listen to Audiobooks, work superbly.

The speech thing for POIs, specifically the great PGPSW cameras ones supplied by yourselves is so much better than it was, my parents even invested on that one option.

Please don't get me wrong, and it has happened in the past Very Happy (or I have just written a load of Cobblers) I think they are fantastic, and maybe that is why it bothers me more when others see the whole picture in such a negative light.

I apologise for hijacking this strand.

Have a nice day

Cheers

Carl
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl, i feel you have got your point across well.
We are all guilty perhaps of coating TomTom off when it all goes pearshaped.
At the end of the day if we are honest we would admit that it is more out of frustration with an issue about this "fluff" than it is with the sat nav element of the product.

Also Darren, i found it refreshing to read your views, it must be difficult to come across as a nuetral and call things as you see them. I certainly don't envy your task.
Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Wink
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been on here much lately but I have to say a good read and always interesting to see different views.
New models do increase sales, however TomTom have a problem with margins and so do to some degree do Garmin, but the latter has plenty on cashflow and TomTom does not.
I fully expected them to add new subscription products which as an earlier poster rightly said is a great source of revenue. I have always liked the TomTom as a product but I cannot help feeling they have lost there way slightly and will be interesting to see the qtr 3 results when they come out soon.
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glitches I can live with, as long as they are just temporary. It's more the attitude of the customer services people that grates me. They just fob you off saying someone else is working on it and we can't do anything about it. If I had some sort of technical explanation that might appease me somewhat, but some generic "the server is not working" is plain irritating.

I purchased a new 1 year traffic subscription on 1st October, and on my TomTom it shows the expiry date of my traffic subscription as June 2005! So unsurprisingly I keep getting errors from my TT saying that my traffic subscription has expired.

I've now contacted customer services 3 times on the phone. They can see from their "system" that I have paid them on 1st October but they can't actually change anything on this system to update the expiry date of my traffic subscription.

I did make a suggestion that they refund my money and I would try subscribing again - it's worth a shot. But they didn't seem interested.

I might try a different drone - I must get lucky at some point.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered my traffic subscription doesn't work either, just paid for a year on the 16/09/08 all I got too when I chose to update traffic was the messsage telling me my subscription may have expired and to logon and check my TomTom account having done so it still shows my previous expiry date for my last subscription but my tomtom says my account expired way back in july 2007 after my one month free trial.

I refuse to pay for a premium rate phone call until absolutely neccessary especially when its their fault in the first place, so I sent them an email meanwhile just have to hope the roads are quiet tomorrow.[/list]
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now 6 weeks since I've been able to use TomTom's Traffic, Speed Camera and Mapshare services (apart from 2 days Traffic a fortnight ago). They still can't give me any indication of when it will be sorted. I asked for and they agreed to a refund of my traffic subscription last week but that isn't forthcoming either.

I have the GB+I 8.10 map installed which others claim to have received Mapshare updates for recently, but no such luck here.

They tell me there are loads of other customers with the same problems but that is difficult to believe as not many others are complaining on the forums.
alanwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: TomTom Plus Traffic Unavailable Reply with quote

Well I have complained, details below as posted on another forum:

My TomTom Plus traffic service has been unavailable for over two weeks TT support comments are:

"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Your reference for your query is 081009-xxxxx.

It has come to our attention that we are experiencing challenges with our Plus Services Server, which may be affecting some of our customers. Technicians are working hard to resolve this and we hope to have the service available again shortly.

Thank you for your patience and we apologise for the inconvenience."

I have subscribed to TT traffic for over 18 months without previous problems. Now when I try to access traffic with my TT720 it says that my subscription has expired. That of course is incorrect and it expires on 07-04-2009.

When I log on to my TomTom account, my Traffic Service says it expired on 07-04-2006, no this is not a typing error.

I asked support if they could manually reset/enter the correct expiry year on the system, but was informed it was not as easy as that and was given the reply as above. My questions are:

1) Is anyone else having similar problems?
2) Has anyone HAD similar problems now rectified?
3) Have I been fobbed off?

Any other comments or thoughts appreciated.

Alan
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my complaint status have finally changed to "research" I hope that means its being looked into and will have a responce soon, but i half expect some usual further questions or to be palmed off with some excuse. Getting ready to make a stern toned phone call by tomorrow afternoon if I havn't had a favourable reply by then. Will post any news as soon as I have it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if TomTom have an official response to this issue tomorrow.
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have stopped replying to me trying to fix my subscription to traffic! It has not worked properly since upgrading the maps and i've pretty much done everything asked of me from them, it seems they dont know how to fix it! mine keeps saying "this tomtom service is not available in your region (yet) visit tomtom for more information" funny how it used to work!
(edit)
have since found this
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=traffic+not+available&FID=10054
they never told me it was a common error.
gblades
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my tomtom go 530 yesterday and subscribed to the traffic and speed camera service. Traffic seems to be working fine but the speed camera service I am having issues with. One camera around the M25 and up the A3 is missing and I am getting alerts for cameras both sides of a dual cariageway which I understand I should not be getting.

Can someone with an active speed camera subscription from tomtom tell me what the current database version is? (go to uninstall sopftware in my tomotm and select the details on the uk speed camera)
Mine said it is version 1359 which I am guessing is very old.
DavidA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Traffic not working now on Nokia N95 and TomTom 730? Reply with quote

My conversation with TomTom customer service has ground to a halt as they now say that a Nokia N95 is incompatible with a TomTom 730 and Traffic.
Strange that it worked before I accepted the upgraded software from TomTom.
Make sure you read the small print before you assume you get any support from TomTom !

Any solutions appreciated .
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been with TomTom since the days of the first Classic.
I made the occasional diversion to Garmin and Navman but always returned to TomTom and consider myself now to be a devoted TomTom user.
Over the years I have had a couple of minor problems which were resolved on this Forum, a major problem with LMG on my current model (920T) which was resolved within 2 hours by a phone call to CS and of course the disastrous RDS/TMC.
I do not consider the latter to be TomTom's fault as it appears to be just as bad with other SatNavs.
I live in hopes that the forthcoming HD Traffic will resolve this one as I consider this to be a Major upgrade with traffic getting worse by the day. We shall have to wait and see.
I'm not really a fan of the "Fluff" on the various models and seldom if ever use it. I really think that the MP3 player in particular should be totally removed. My reasoning being that just about every car produced nowadays has a radio/CD player installed which will quite happily play MP3's and, I think, is easier to use! The hardware/software space saved by it's removal could then be used to amend/correct/modify other aspects of the TomTom.
I believe TomTom are currently way ahead of the opposition and stand a good chance of staying there. In particular I think they should stop at the upcoming X40 models and get them working 100% before introducing any newer models or adding more "Fluff".
I also believe that "Live Services" are going to be the future. No doubt there will be problems with it's Introduction, Choice of services, Pricing and so on but this seems to be the way with everything nowadays as in Digital Television where you have a choice of dozens of Services but have to pay for what you want.
Perhaps I've just been lucky with my choice(s) of TomTom models but nevertheless I am still a devoted, loyal and satisfied customer.

…..Ken (Heywood, U.K.)

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be darned was just about to call support regarding whats happening about why I dont have traffic but before doing so I thought I would connect to TomTom using the home software and test traffic using the home software. Wont you know it its working again.

My data package on my mobile isn't free until 7pm but I'm goin to buy a daily bundle just to test it and using my mobile which is a Nokia N95 and my god that works too.

Just checked "my traffic" from the TomTom website support website after logging in and my subscription is now showing the correct date so good news there however on the TomTom itself after clicking the accounts button the date there is still way back in 2007 when my free trial ended.

The question I sent to tomtom using the email support still is marked research with only the suto reply saying they are experiencing problems with the plus service server. So how long has it been working I don't know you think they would at least reply to my question though to say its working again.

Fingers crossed its fixed good and proper and not just a temp thing.

Raymond

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: