Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Traffic and Extra Phone Costs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Traffic and Extra Phone Costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: TT Traffic and Extra Phone Costs Reply with quote

Can someone help me out with some information please.
I've just bought a TT530 T. I'm thinking about using TT Traffic, and as i understand my unit would have to link into/with my mobile phone.
Apart from the cost TT would charge, would my mobile phone supplier charge as well?

Cheers

Keith
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it depends upon your phone contract and whether it includes GPRS content. I have been using TT Traffic for 8 months now, never seen a penny for it on my bill and generally found reception and data to be far more reliable than using any TMC antenna,
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your supplier I pay a flat fee of £7.50 to T-Mobile for up to 3 GB per month.
If I use my TT for a whole days work set up to check every 2 minutes it takes about 200kb a day

theripper
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Virgin Mobile which i think has something to do with T-Mobile.
I'm just trying to get arounderbout figure of what the costs could be.

Cheers

Keith
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, IF you have purchased the (T) version it will have been supplied with the RDS-TMC receiver, this requires no further subscription and neither does it require a data connection from your phone.

Simply plug the receiver in and run the aerial up the side of the windscreen (at least 2"/ 5CM away from the vehicles structure), reception around the Fylde used to be pathetic, but these days we are served with a signal from Winter Hill using 105,4FM (Century FM) this is very effective and a welcome improvement to the signal reception around here - Mike
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
Thanks for you help and input. What i'm looking to find out is more about the TT Traffic, as from what i've read about the RDS-TMC receiver its not the most up to item on the market.

Jate
Below is the reply i've just had back from Virgin Mobile -
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your email to Virgin Mobile about connecting your phone to your sat nav. We'd like to offer assistance.

If you're connecting your phone to your sat-nav via GPRS whilst in the UK, our standard GPRS charges will apply. This means you'll be charged £2 per mega-byte if you pay via a monthly direct debit, or £5 per mega-byte if you're on our standard Pay As You Go tariff.

Alternatively, you may be connecting to your sat-nav via bluetooth, in which case there's no charge for the service. However, if you're connecting to get traffic updates, we're assuming you're using GPRS.

I'll have a play with my mobile phone - a Nokia 6021 - and see what i can do.

Cheers

Keith
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the RDS-TMC though for at least a week or two then decide IF the GPRS additional subscription charge and running costs are worth it. You should also be aware the RDS-TMC AND GPRS delivered traffic information come from the same place so there is little difference in content/ quality.

The GPRS system offers full country coverage where the RDS-TMC delivers regional based data, that said as I head out on the M55 I can see incidents as far South as Birmingham and North as far up as Glasgow, East To West coverage is coast to coast.

As you drive into a different area the device updates from a different radio station thus offering newer data centred around your true location. You will have at least two hours driving time before you hit the end of the regional feed, by which time the data has been updated offering newer information further along your trip.

I don't want to put you off trying the subscription service, but you need to be aware of the above, and the fact that the data is the same, all the GPRS system offers differently to the RDS based service is better reception at higher cost - you have the RDS-TMC receiver which is free to use so at least give it a trial, you have nothing to loose - Mike
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike,
Thanks again for your help and guidance.
I always thought the the TT Traffic was better than the RDS-TMC as the information sent to the driver, was more up to date - the info was sent in real time and not after the event, so to speak.
I did have the RDS-TMC with my old TT One XL but i sold that last week to raise the funds to buy the 530, and i have to say that for the short time i had the RDS-TMC (less than 2 months) it did ok.
As i've already wrote, i was always under the impression that the TT Traffic was a better set up to have.

Cheers

Keith
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTIS Holdings provide the data irrespective of method of delivery (RDS/ GPRS)

For RDS-TMC iTIS send the data to the FM Radio stations within the UK for broadcast.

For GPRS iTIS send the data to TomTom's server for information to be downloaded at a time interval defined by the subscriber, 10 or 15 minutes is usually a good setting to avoid excessive costs.

Your first post mentioned purchasing the 530T which should have been supplied with the RDS-TMC Receiver, is this the case? - Mike
keithmillar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Your first post mentioned purchasing the 530T which should have been supplied with the RDS-TMC Receiver, is this the case? - Mike

Yes Mike my TT530T did come with the RDS-TMC Receiver.
Only got the set up last Sunday so i've spent the last couple of days getting things set to how i want POI/Voices/Map Colours etc.

Cheers

Keith
mcqueen
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get TomTom traffic through my Virgin mobile. I’m on the Pay as you Go tarriff. My traffic updates are not restricted to specified intervals, so I get the updates as and when they’re available. 1hour 45 min commute round the M25 costs me between 8 – 15p for the updates.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: