Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS traffic not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS traffic not working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: RDS traffic not working Reply with quote

Hi I got a tomtom 930t I just wanted to know if i am doing something wrong or should I be doing something because since I had it, the RDS traffic receiver has never picked up a station ,I have tried tuning it manually and still no luck.
Any advise
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mario212,

Where are you based?

I've recently bought a 730T and I found the same thing when I used it in the past that I got it.

I think that the problem that I encountered was either:

1. I hadn't correctly inserted the plug from the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver accessory into the correct socket on the 730T unit.
2. I was outside the coverage area.

If you look at the TomTom page for their Traffic information, you'll see that TomTom offers Premium RDS-TMC services in:

France (Via Michelin)
Germany (TMC Pro)
UK (ITIS)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
MikeGordon
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: RDS info Reply with quote

I was told by TomTom help line that in the UK coverage is poor, with only Classic FM offering any sort of signal. That was in June, so I suspect that is why neither of you, and me, ever received anything? Basically, they want your 80 quid!

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTIS Holdings use Classic FM and quite a number of local radio stations to boost the signal in areas where reception used to be poor. There will still be areas of patchy reception but it is fair to say the signal coverage is considerably better than it used to be.

Make sure when you run the aerial wire up/ around the edge of the windscreen you keep it at least 5CM (2") away from the edge of the screen, if your vehicle is fitted with Athermic (heat reflective) glass you will have a real problem getting a signal as the coating on the glass makes a very effective attenuator killing the already weak signal. If you do have Athermic glass all is not lost, it is possible to connect the string aerial to the cars aerial thus improving reception dramatically - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to lay out the antenna in a suitable configuration.

Mine is L-shaped. TT is in centre of windscreen, antenna runs horizontally across base of windscreen, then up the side vertically BUT at least two inches (5cm) away from the frame. I've heard other people who invert that, having the vertical run up, then horizontally across the top (still 2 inches/5cm from the frame). Experiment with it to find your most suitable layout. The cable is fine enough to not distract your eye from the road.

Tuning is simply select United Kingdom (mine came with a slip of paper telling me to do that). Do try to let it pick up a signal before you drive off.

TomTom helpline is as usual talking through their hats. The FM signal is weaker in UK and there will certainly be some bad reception areas, but I've had excellent signal ever since upgrading to Application v8 (which you've already got) and have been able to rely on it all over the country (Hull, Liverpool, Plymouth, Aberystwyth, Norwich, Broadstairs, Portsmouth).

Curse you, Mikealder!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all

in have the 720T and i get the signal (green circle all round) but when there is traffic my tomtom is not picking it up. i have been in few traffic throught out the week and my tomtom sits there with circle greem all round like the road is empty.

am i doing something wrong apart from pluggin in the aerial and forgot to enable a setting.

thanks
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amier wrote:

am i doing something wrong apart from pluggin in the aerial and forgot to enable a setting.
You're not doing anything wrong EXCEPT you're expecting too much. The traffic information you get applies to the route you have set (that's possibly the only thing you may have done wrong, now that I think of it - if you haven't set a route, you get no traffic information). The information suffers from three handicaps.

1. Somebody has to report the traffic problem to somebody.

2. Somebody who gets the report has to cobble it together into whatever format it needs to be transmitted.

3. Somebody has to transmit it.

Same three factors apply to reporting a problem finished. They all incur delay. Have you never been listening to a radio traffic report which doesn't mention the traffic you're sitting in? Have you never heard a radio traffic report which says you're in a traffic jam when you're doing 70mph? BBC Radio Five broadcasts traffic information every thirty minutes - you may well be 25 minutes into a jam before they broadcast it or you may take a 25 minute diversion before they tell you it's all gone.

It's not magic and it's not perfect.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mario212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your replys i,i think if i new all this information before i got the 930t ,i would have got the cheaper one with out traffic and stuck with the traffic on the radio
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all

something funny starts to happen to my tomtom, before i used to plug the rds trasnmitter and used to search and do its thing.

now it doesnt do that at all like its not pluged in and also it says something about wireless data not set up when i click on show traffic infor from A to B. i cant see the sub menue of the rds transmitter either.

anyone has any ideas about this?

thakns
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the reset switch on the base of the device a prod with a paperclip or pin, you won't lose any data but it should sort the issue out.

Switch the device on and let it power up without the RDS-TMC receiver plugged in, connect the RDS device with a firm push on the connector, does any message (white text in black background) flash up in the top righthand side of the screen - Mike
amier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

it was working fine is just ysterday started to play up, usully when i plug it it says rds connected on top right this time round no message no green circle nothing.

i'll give a reset button a try

thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The traffic information you get applies to the route you have set (that's possibly the only thing you may have done wrong, now that I think of it - if you haven't set a route, you get no traffic information).

So if you have no route set you get no alerts, even if you heading into a massive traffic jam that has been reported, cobbled together and transmitted? IS this the same for RDS and HD Traffic?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a route planned the device has no knowledge of where you might be heading and so it is impossible for it to warn you of traffic. With a route planned you will receive warnings about traffic on route and how far away the actual delay is from your current position.

You can get an overview map showning all the traffic incidents and your current position this will display with or without a route set, the above applies to RDS, GPRS or HD Traffic - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparision Garmin gives you Traffic Alerts once you turn onto a road if you have no route planned. Bit annoying to turn onto a motorway slip road and once committed get the alert of the tailback you're about to drive into..... However if the delay is several miles up the motorway you might not encouter it or you have a chance to ask the Nuvi route avoiding the delay.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my 730T for a couple of weeks now, everything appeared to work as it should, in other words the circle turned green which meant it was connected OK.

BUT

I wasn't getting any reports, so my first reaction was that something must be wrong, and to be honest I was a bit annoyed and fed up.

How stupid is that? I was getting annoyed because I WASN'T getting held up in traffic, or at least having to avoid it!!

Yesterday I got my first warning, an accident on the A35 near to the Bakers Arms and it was accurate, grand job, now I can Chillax Very Happy

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: