Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 'no map packs'!!!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

'no map packs'!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: 'no map packs'!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi

I have just joined this forum after buying my Satmap a week or so ago. Got around to buying a site centred map at £160! Just tried it and got message , SD card inserted followed by 'no map packs'!
Am I doing something stupid or is there a problem? I will of course phone them tommorrow, but not helping my frustration tonight and I wanted to use it this weekend. Anyone else had the same message.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following, remove a battery or disconnect the rechargable pack as applicable, insert the SD card, replace the battery and switch the unit on, after it has booted a few seconds later it should offer the map on the SD Card, if this fails give Sat Map a ring in the morning and I am sure they will resolve this in a very short time period.

The SatMap active10 will only find the memory card when it powered up, if its switched on when you insert the card it might not see it - Mike
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is what I call a quick reply, only joined 10 minutes ago. I will try it now , thanks
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Nope didnt work! Strange recogises the card but not in the map packs screen in the main menu. I settings SD card settings it shows the card is 94% used, so defietly something on there.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried using the joystick to toggle between the maps, try it left and right, AFAIK this is used to select the different maps installed to the card - Mike
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope

Tried that but as there are no maps showing I dont have any maps to toggle between!
Thanks
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Not that it matters because the Active 10 is obviously not recognising the info on the card, but the instructions say 'switch on,insert card, choose map and your off!' But in your first reply you said that if its already on when you insert the card the Active 10 might not recognise the card. Also somewhere in the instructions it states that you can insert and remove the card at any time. In your experience is this not the case? I'm assumimg that as I had this card made to the area I wanted ( site centred) then it has been loaded incorrectly or the card is faulty.

Thanks John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember the early releases of software used to need the device to boot in order to recognise the SD card, this has probably changed, I have lent my active10 to a mate for a couple of days so its a little difficult to check this first hand!

I do have a "Self Centre" map for my device but that is the only map on that card, I have never had a problem installing any of my map cards or with the data being read/ displayed correctly - I am sure SatMap will resolve the issue in the morning - Mike
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks I'll let you know how I get on. Any dealings I have had with Satmap so far, by phone or email have been very good. They actually answer the phone!! Have you ever tried BT, Mio or a multitude of others. Hopefully they keep up the good service, very refreshing.

John
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Spoke to Satmap early this morning, Jason phoned me back about half an hour later. He seems to think that the problem is a corrupted SD card, not the machine as it is recognising the SD card but can't read it. He is putting another in the post this morning, 1st class with a return label for the duff sd card.

I asked about the route planner, he said he has now checked out that it is working correctly and intends getting it 'signed off' today and should be avaliable from early next week. Apparantly an outside agency put the planner on before Satmap had tested it that is why it was on for a couple of days and then taken off!!

I asked why it was advised to copy the contents of a map card to the PC as we cant copy to another card, he explained that in the case of the card being wiped then we could format the disc and re-load it from the PC. I meant to ask what would happen if the card was damaged, could they send one of their cards for 're-loading' but forgot.

I'll let you know when I get the replacement card.

Thanks

John
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Well new card arrived, 24 hours from the time I phoned Satmap, very good. Works fine, actually covers a much larger area than I thought it would. Just one thing I was hoping someone could explain, its probably me being an idiot but the map pack is 1:25 and when I zoom in the image distorts. By that I mean the pre loaded maps allow you to zoom right into road names etc but the 1:25 does not,is that normal.

Thanks

John
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is all sorted, the base map contains the road names, the OS map will not show road names for most locations you can see when the switch between the two maps occurs as you zoom in and out. What you are seeing is quite normal.
If you ever put one of the Premium map packs on the device you will see the device switch from the base map to 50K then to 25K scale as you zoom in/ out - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the base map is a vector map i.e. one that can be re-drawn as you zoom in. The OS map is not, it's a bitmap so detail will not improve as you zoom in past the optimum point. This is standard with all OS maps regardless of provider.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Just tried it on Anquet and zooming in beyond 200% the definition deteriorates. Beyond 400% and it starts getting quite blurry. The maximum on Anquet is 600%. Beyond that would be pointless.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: