Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic Server Address?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic Server Address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Traffic Server Address? Reply with quote

Does anybody know the internet or IP address of the server that is by TTN3 to obtain the traffic information?

I have the same connection problems (discussed elswhere) of using O2 and a Nokia 6310i and would like to try an experiment that avoids the use of the O2 DNS server by placing an entry into the "hosts" file on my PDA.

TIA

Richard
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Traffic uses ITIS for its data, I looked at ITIS free traffic map and noted the ip address to be 62.225.145.21. A trace route took 12 hops then timed out, (probably due to icmp packets being dropped). each hop was about 15-30 m/s, (The ip address is based in Germany)

I know its a very (Make that very very) long shot that they use the same address for this, but only one way to find out, & please let us know

Cheers

Tim
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I can help. I updated TomTom traffic over my WLAN whilst monitoring the firewall logs from my router, watching for a DNS lookup for something 'TomTomish' ;) And there it is

Code:
<150>Feb  2 00:55:05 Vigor: Local User: 192.168.1.11 DNS -> my_DNS_server inquire www.tt1.nl in 31-May 9:51:50.0 from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

That (www.tt1.nl) resolves to 62.250.16.51, so give it a try and let us know how you get on!

Dave.
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
resolves to 62.250.16.51, so give it a try and let us know how you get on!

Dave.

Great stuff, thanks for the effort everybody.

I will have a play later today (when people start to travel home) and report back any findings.

Rgds

Richard
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried using the hosts setting in the TCP parameters but it makes no difference.

HKLM\Comm\Tcpip\Hosts

I assume that this key used in PPC2002 can also be used in PPC2003.
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seem to have improved things here.

I have just ran a 1 hour test and did not get any connection errors. In fact the whole connect and update process seems a lot faster than before but maybe the server loading is not so high today as its a public holiday.

Also ran a 1 hour test using my wireless network (via another isp) and that did not fail either - both would have failed to connect at some point.

I modified the "hosts" on my very old HP Journada with the use of Marc Zimmermann's Pocket Hosts app that can be viewed here > http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm

Hope this helps

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure there's issues to do with the use of the Hosts feature in Pocket PC 2003 (or at least with the use of Pocket Hosts) - but I can't remember what they are - sorry. Maybe Google Groups on the microsoft.public.pocketpc newsgroups will dig up something.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have confirmed that the DNS hosts setting does work in the registry in PPC2003 and that the URL and IP address mentioned above are correct for the operation of TT Traffic.

I have also found that 02 recommends manual DNS settings but automatic appears to work better. Maybe those with 02 should try the automatic.

If I repeatedly update traffic information, 02 frequently does not download it all. You can watch an incident appear and dissapear with each download. Orange usually but not always downloads then all. Connection through my router to the internet, appears to always download it all.

I have found that the handset (Nokia 6310i vs Ericsson T610) makes no noticable difference once correctly configured.
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnuts1.. thanks for the reply

Which IP did you put in the hosts file, or did you use both?

The idea of placing the actual IP address in the hosts file is an interesting one to play with for a while.. From what I gather from other posts is that performance of traffic varies by network operator so DNS resolution might be a factor. (by placing the host name & IP in the hosts file should bypass the DNS lookup).

I don't know pocket pc OS so well, so if one does a straight test by switching phones, I wonder if the PDA is caching the host lookup, hence no perceived improvement.

Mr T, which IP did you put in the hosts file?

Cheers
Tim
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnuts1

Forgot to ask... With the IPs in the hosts file, have you run a comparision with connecting via LAN against GPRS to see if you get an equal download? As this appears to be a commom problem

Cheers

Timl
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62.250.16.51 is the IP against the name of www.tt1.nl

Blocking this IP or putting another incorrect IP against the URL in the hosts entry causes Traffic to fail.
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timc wrote:
bobnuts1.. thanks for the reply

Which IP did you put in the hosts file, or did you use both?

Timc,

Just to concur with Mr T. I placed 62.250.16.51 into the hosts entry.

Did not compare incident quantity as there were only about 17 or so in the area that I had a map installed for today - South West. Will try again IF (physical) traffic gets busy again say, London, Tuesday PM rush hour. Twisted Evil

hth

Richard
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T..

Putting IP addresses into the hosts file is not an attempt to block anything, its a way of bypasing the DNS lookup cost to resolve a host address to an IP.

Our test here is to further validate if the issue of why traffic update on lan differs from that of GPRS is due a latency issue with DNS lookup resolution at service provider.

Tim
bobnuts1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timc,

I think Mr T's statement is to confirm that 62.250.16.51 is the correct IP address as putting a block on it causes Traffic to fail. Thats how I am reading it anyway.

hth

Richard.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnuts1 wrote:
Timc,

I think Mr T's statement is to confirm that 62.250.16.51 is the correct IP address as putting a block on it causes Traffic to fail. Thats how I am reading it anyway.

hth

Richard.

Exactly.

By blocking one particular IP address you can also see if TomTom Traffic tries alternative IP addresses for information. It does not.

By putting in a false hosts entry you can see if TomTom Traffic is programmed to access the site via an embedded IP addess or a URL. As this test also causes a failure, TomTom traffic uses a URL (www.tt1.com) to look up its information. This test also shows that the hosts entry as used in PPC2002 also works in PPC2003.

The hosts DNS lookup for me on Orange and O2 has made no difference to performance for me.

If PPC2003 is like any other Windows based operating system, it will probably cache the DNS entry from the DNS server the first time it looks it up, so once you have made a connection, it should not be looking it up for every update.

Using a host entry also runs the risk of TomTom changing the IP address of the server used as they upgrade the service.

Whilst DNS lookup can cause problems, I don't believe it is the root cause of the missing traffic data.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: