Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME 2.4 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME 2.4 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, sorry but this seems to have got a little bit confusing between the four updates and the 12 months. Is it a guarnteed 4 updates or is it a 12 month subscription(which i suspect). In which case do TOMTOM bring out a map update on exactly the same day on exactly the same month each year. Otherwise this could mean if you purchase a 12 month subscription close to when a new map (and you have that latest map already) has just been brought out (i.e. now) and the fourth quarter update is slightly later you may not get it as your 12 month subscription would have expired. So it sounds like you are best to purchase just before a new map comes out. Can anyone guarantee when that is otherwise if you wait too long it starts all over again. Also could anyone please clarify can you pay each quarter (obviously knowing you have to pay four amounts) or do you have to pay for the whole year in one go. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldack, I'm sorry to say I can't give any advice on the payment method, but you do know that if your device is new that your first map to bring it up to date is free, correct?
ctv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, 1st post here and a good chance to say thank you for all the helpful advice that's given by everyone.
I've downloaded Home 2.4 onto my PC and connected my 920T App 8.010 maps v710 to it. It's given me the option to upgrade to the latest map for £38.85 and 4 quarters at £12.95 each. Great news I thought so I added them to my basket and hit purchase. It then keeps immediately coming up with Error 203 can't connect to the Tomtom secure server.
So I left it for a while with still no joy so I thought I would try and purchase the traffic subscription as a test which got to the payment page fine although it still won't let me do it on for the maps Sad
Anyway, I thought it might be my installation so i installed a freah copy of Home onto another PC with the same results.
Here's where it gets good - my first experience with TomTom customer service Mad
Without going into all of the details they said there is nothing I can do and it's problably a bug in Home 'as it's a very new version' and they will feed all my details back to the tech guys to rectify it. In the mean time no new maps for me.

Anyone had the same issue or know what it might be?

Many thanks

Andy
Steven-f
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4 downloaded fine but when checking for updates, it came up with GPS Quickfix and mapshare - with both ticked it then threw up an error code and wouldn't do the update.

I then tried selecting just the quickfix and it downloaded that ok, then i ticked the mapshare and that updated OK.
thenn I bought the updates for 77 quid!
DanielBrookes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
I paid by credit card, and it was approved instantly. As yours was a debit card I wonder if they're waiting for the payment to clear.

I would keep checking the status, and if it doesn't show as completed over the next few days either ring TomTom on 0845 161 0009 or send an enquiry via the website.

To put my mind at ease I telephoned TomTom today regarding the payment, incase there was some sort of fault that my debit card issuer was unaware of. TomTom customer support are impressive!! No waiting on the line what so ever, and a very clear English speaking advisor helped. He said that this sometimes happens due to TomTom head office being in the Netherlands and he said he could reassure me in being 99% positive that from what he sees on his end everything will be fine. I confirmed if I would receive an email when the payment has complete and the advisor has said that he will personally email as soon as the payment clears or make contact if there does seem to be any further problems! Cannot be any fairer than that!

I also asked about MapShare... He informed me that he wasn't sure what MapShare means by "12 months free" and said that MapShare is *always* free for the life of the device... I can quote him as saying "... until your device breaks"... Sounds good to me! He even offered to send me some instructions to enable MapShare... I'm sure I could have managed it but what with him being so helpful I felt that it might seem a little rude not to accept.

Cannot fault TomTom customer service (Another dig at Navigon from me here Razz Heh... Now *they* have poor customer service, for sur!!).

Dan.
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (I could well be wrong) that people are getting a little confused with the mapshare *free* for twelve months. I think what is meant is mapshare is always free but when a map becomes twelve months old TOMTOM stop doing any mapshare updates on it as by then they would have released 3 more maps and cannot continue to support old maps with mapshare updates forever...Therefore mapshare will always be free but any map older than 12 months will not be updated with new mapshare details at the TOMTOM server end...at least thats what I think they mean but someone please correct me if that is wrong.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scointer, I got it from TT Customer Services, you have to pay the year, they're only telling you the quarterly equivalent
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Calomax, thought so just wondered why they quoted a quarterly price (just so it shows us what good value it is I suppose). Still no reply on if it is definetley 4 updates or twelve months you are paying for. I know 12 months will nearly always mean 4 updates but if you do time it wrong you could miss out. Unless someone can confirm that TOMTOM always release maps on exactly the same dates. Cheers.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scointer, hope this helps:

quotation from my correspondence with TT Support

"The map update service provides you with 4 map updates per year for half the price of the usuall full map price when they are released.

There is no end date to this service. "

Cheers

Carl
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctv wrote:
Anyone had the same issue or know what it might be?

I had EXACTLY the same problem last night, exactly same device (920T) etc as you. I gave up and will be trying again tonight - MAYBE! I'm having a bit of TT trauma right now as my brand new 730 on its third day in use crashed with the same hands free problem as all my 720s and 920, so I'm not feeling too committed to TT right now! Evil or Very Mad

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ctv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis that's good to know someone with far greater knowledge than me in the TomTom department is also having troubles Smile
TomTom CS did say that there had been some other callers with the same problem but wouldn't say how many.
Tonight I'm going to try again and also on a Mac but I have a feeling it might be account/device related.
Will let you know how I get on.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm having a bit of TT trauma right now as my brand new 730 on its third day in use crashed with the same hands free problem as all my 720s and 920, so I'm not feeling too committed to TT right now! Evil or Very Mad

delete the gnsdata file, that should cure it

Andy
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed eventually to download v8.10. After West Europe 8.10 is downloaded were is it stored on my computer hard drive? because at the moment since updating my TT freeze's on the first boot screen and I don't want the hassle of getting the download again.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In HOME go to Tools | TomTom HOME Preferences and click the Folder Preferences.

The Location will be specified under Downloads.

If you go to Add Maps, Traffic, etc., on the last page is Items on my computer. If it's there already HOME will display it and install for you.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
DennisN wrote:
I'm having a bit of TT trauma right now as my brand new 730 on its third day in use crashed with the same hands free problem as all my 720s and 920, so I'm not feeling too committed to TT right now! Evil or Very Mad

delete the gnsdata file, that should cure it
Can you tell me more, please? I've done a search on gnsdata and found about a dozen threads containing it. They're all about it becoming corrupt. Some are about hands free suffering when related to RDS-TMC. None of the posts that I could see actually said what was going on, apart from "corrupt gnsdata file."

Now, if that is the cure, I shall be happy to do it.

I also have three backups taken Saturday and Sunday, before I gave it a run out - I note they are all without a gnsdata file and are before I connected my RDS-TMC antenna. Previous arisings of this hands free problem came with GO720s (seven of them), before I got an RDS-TMC antenna with my 920T. As the hands free feature is the best thing since sliced bread when it works, I am desperate to get it to work.

So, can you give me the confidence that deleting gnsdata will solve the problem, by some sort of explanation about that file and what it does (or what a corrupt one does)? The alternative is I pack it all up and take it back for a refund and hang onto my cash until the x40 comes along. And in the meantime, as both my 920 and 720 did that fault last week (prompting the 730 purchase), I could try deleting gnsdata on them just for something to do whilst I wait to see if x40 is any better.

I have run CHKDSK on all three devices, (without the /F switch) and the 730 and 720 reported problems with gnsdata, the 920 didn't.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 8 of 25

Jump to: