Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME 2.4 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME 2.4 released
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom HOME 2.4 released Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom have announced the release of HOME 2.4, the latest in the line-up.

Details have only just arrived so for now we'll simply pass on what TomTom have provided, good news for Mac users is this is a cross platform release with 2.4 versions of both PC and Mac versions available.

The big news here is the Map Update Service. TomTom are now offering subscriptions which include quarterly map updates. As you must be running the latest map release in order to subscribe to this service a welcome feature is a discount structure. A sliding scale will discount the cost of the latest map depending on the age of your current map. This is an important addition and one that will bring benefits (hopefully) to all users with more frequent updates and lower costs. More details further down the thread on this page.

Pricing is personalised, to use the service you must update to the latest map first. TomTom calculate the price of the map upgrade based on how old the map you currently have installed.

So there are two costs to take into consideration:
  • 1. the cost of the map upgrade to bring you to the latest map release.
  • 2. The cost of four future map updates during the 12 month service period.
This guide explains the discount scales for the initial map purchase:

This is actually very fair, we had concerns that early adopters buying the latest map released recently may have lost out with this service but the discount scheme resolves that issue.

HOME hasn't exactly covered itself in glory with many bugs, features that don't work as advertised and other issues so let's hope this one is a milestone and secures the product as something we can all rely on! We will be evaluating both versions but in the meantime the new and improved features list announce by TomTom:

Map Share improvements:
  • Map Share trust level can be set in TomTom HOME
  • Improved Map Share Status Indicator for greater accuracy
New content types to be shared for the GO x40 series:
  • Home/Favourites/Buddy symbols
  • Start-up/shut-down sounds
Other features:
  • Latest Map Guarantee is checked automatically
  • Support for the new TomTom Map Update Service (more details to follow)
  • Support for sending Safety Camera reports to server
  • Activation of promotion codes in TomTom HOME
  • Possible to remove downloaded content from computer in TomTom HOME
  • User experience improvements
  • Improvement to device recognition by HOME
  • The ability to use themes for HOME

HOME should offer you the update automatically but if not, just browse to TomTom's HOME page and download the update directly.

Post your findings in this thread.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do other's pricing structures go mine is

Equivalent of £12.95 per quarter equalling £51.80, oh and that is a 920 with the newest maps v8.010 on the TT already, so does that mean I need do nothing for at least 3 months?

Cheers

Carl

Last edited by carl_the_cobbler on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NO_MAD
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just downloaded Home 2.4. Went o/k
I can now get the latest map for my 720 for £29.85
Tom-Tom now has an update service for £9.95 per quarter.
Or 12 months for £69.65

4 x £9.95= £39.80 not £69.65

Is it me or is something wrong here?

Last edited by NO_MAD on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new map @ £29.85 plus 4 x quarterly updates @ £9.95 = £69.65

I'm guessing you need to have a current map in order to qualify for the quarterly updates offer, if you don;t then the cost of this map to get you started is included.
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Is this 'the' announcement you promised? Certainly substantial enough to be...but be nice to know for sure that I can finally come off the edge of my seat. (For 3 weeks, it's not been comfy...)

Very Happy

edit: ...and yes it is, according to other posts. Nice one lad, you're a good'un.

Last edited by mattcu on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, after my fiasco with Tomtom, I wouldn't believe anything Tomtom puts in their adverts. Pass, no sale.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebb wrote:
Personally, after my fiasco with Tomtom, I wouldn't believe anything Tomtom puts in their adverts. Pass, no sale.

Uh thanks, if by 'fiasco' you are referring to your other post describing 12 month old bypass that hadn't appeared on your map, that's digital maps for you, not solely a TomTom issue. Let's keep that in its own thread please.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been offered the £39,99 deal, which I'd like to take up but I can't for a couple of weeks until I get some more money in, so hopefully the offer will still be open to me then, it should be as I only downloaded the new map about a week ago.
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Zebb wrote:

Uh thanks, if by 'fiasco' you are referring to your other post describing 12 month old bypass that hadn't appeared on your map, that's digital maps for you, not solely a TomTom issue. Let's keep that in its own thread please.

No, nothing to do with that, it's the way Tomtom doesn't honour their adverts.

My update price was £19.99 btw. No more money for TT from me.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK & Republic of Ireland maps 1 quarter old on a 520

Upgrade to the latest map £6.95 + £6.95 quarter = £34.75

At less than the cost of the map alone last month it seems an excellent deal Very Happy
odonoghue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually very fair, we had concerns that early adopters buying the latest map released recently may have lost out with this service but the discount scheme resolves that issue.

I agree excellent idea, my map is 1 quarter old so it is going to cost £24.95 for the year for uk and ireland for me, been trying for three hours to upgrade says server busy and cannot connect hopefully it is because of demand and I will get it in next few hours, at last tomtom has put customer before money which will benefit all of us.[/quote]
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's too much to ask, but do you suppose they will allow me to buy the latest map (mine is one quarter old) at the 85% discount and skip the quarterlies? There's not enough changes, at least IMO, from quarter to quarter to bother with those.
Spacer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have put elsewhere, I have bought the new maps, as they seem like a not bad deal. However, the ALG won't enable in the menu. I have a 720, with the newest software (8.010) and the maps are showing as 8.10. Any ideas please?
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
suppose it's too much to ask, but do you suppose they will allow me to buy the latest map (mine is one quarter old) at the 85% discount and skip the quarterlies? There's not enough changes, at least IMO, from quarter to quarter to bother with those.

No such luck... Having missed out on the Ver 810 maps when I inadvertantly downloaded the ver 720 map via LMG, on the 4th of this month onto my new Go 520... the same day as the ver 810 was released for the X20 Go models ... I have today installed Home 2.4, and was pleasantly surprised to be offered an upgrade to the latest map for £6-95... I attempted to do so, then found that to qualify for that price, I must also subscribe to the quarterly update for an additional £27-80... a total of £34-75 to replace a map I have had on this one month old machine for 19 days.....

Alan.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote:
I have today installed Home 2.4, and was pleasantly surprised to be offered an upgrade to the latest map for £6-95... I attempted to do so, then found that to qualify for that price, I must also subscribe to the quarterly update for an additional £27-80... a total of £34-75 to replace a map I have had on this one month old machine for 19 days......

Hardly a fair comparison! The £34.75 is for includes an upgrade to the latest current map AND further updates for 12mths.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25

Jump to: