Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pairing Scala Rider FM Headset to TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pairing Scala Rider FM Headset to TomTom 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrenkema
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Pairing Scala Rider FM Headset to TomTom 720 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to pair the Scala headset to my 720. The 720 recognizes the Scala but is unable to connect. I know it will not be possible to speak and use the phone, but I thought listening to the Navigation instructions and MP3's should be possible.

In another post I read about resetting the Scala to start over again. Does anybody know how to reset the Scala Rider.

Hope somebody can help. Thanks! Marten
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've the same setup (720 & Scala Rider Q2). They will not connect, as the TomTom wants a HIFI capable bluetooth device and the Scala doesn't fit the criteria.

To get mine working, I setup the TomTom to output to FM (speaker preferences) and tuned the Q2 to the same FM channel. The 720 can play MP3's on the FM channel.

In conjunction with this, you can pair the phone and Q2 together over bluetooth. So now you've got phone and navigation. The 720 can also connect to the phone (works on my Nokia 6500) to receive traffic at the same time.

FM sound quality is not particularly good, but it's better than nothing.
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on this, you can attach a BT adapter to the headphone socket of the 720. There are numerous ones on the market from around £18. I'm not sure if all of them will work with the Scala, but Cardo do one called the BTA II http://www.cardowireless.com/node/280.

Not cheap at 50 euros, but I've got one on order and will report back.

The FM output is totally useless from the TomTom when used with the Scala. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I suspect that the Scala receiver is drifting, or picking up extraneous signals.
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the BTAII arrived. Works a treat, with a few caveats:

Inital pairing took a while. It works but is not obvious that it has!
    Can't pair with phone and tomttom, as they both use the same headset profile.
    You can't receive calls through the tomtom, as the BTA uses the line-out and isn't connected to the Cardo microphone.

Having said all that, sound quality is excellent. I can hear navigation and music beyond the legal limit, and that's with earplugs in Wink
banny69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if this will work with a Snooper or TomTom using the headphone out socket?

What I am trying to do is use a Cardo Scala Rider headset to get camera warnings and/or sat nav directions from my Snooper or TomTom.

I bought an A2DP bluetooth transmitter which is plugged into the headphone socket on my Snooper/Sat Nav - the idea was to transmit the audio warnings/directions by bluetooth to the Scala.

I coudn't pair the transmitter with the Scala and then discovered that the Scala does not use A2DP so it will not pair.

I am going to try a Jaba 320S wireless headphone set (which is A2DP) and plug in my own small earphones which are installed in my helmet. That way the bluetooth audio should(!) be transmitted.

This might make the Scala redundant so it may be up for sale on ebay ;)

I'm trying to get away from wires but it's proving difficult!

Cheers
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banny69 wrote:
Do you know if this will work with a Snooper or TomTom using the headphone out socket?

[snip]

Cheers

The BTA plugged into my TomTom 720 fine. It then linked up the Scala OK. Sound quality and volume were great until, that is, the headphone socket on the TomTom came off the motherboard. If I could be arsed I'd send it back, but it's out of warranty.

If you can plug in some headphones into your SatNav, and hear what you need, then it will work. The BTA uses a small male audio connecter, so you need an adapter to get it to work with the normal sized headphone socket. You can pick these up from most electrical shops.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: