Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QuickGPSfix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QuickGPSfix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: QuickGPSfix Reply with quote

Just curious - anyone know of a technical reason why this is limited to a week ahead - or is it just an artificial limit?

What prompted me to ask is that on holiday recently - with no internet connection to update QuickGPSfix - I was struck by how the time to first lock on my 520 dramatically increased to sometimes 10 minutes, after the first 4 or 5 days.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

This is a very good point, and something which has crossed my mind now and again.

On my PDA the file only lasts 3 days before I have to download it again, which is very annoying. My good ole TT700 never had this open, but was usually very quick to connect anyway.

Im sure there must be some logic and formula which would work out where the sats will always be in the sky for ever more.??

If you have a USB lead, it should be possible for you to get the new file and connect your device in an internet cafe to download onto.

MPW
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:

If you have a USB lead, it should be possible for you to get the new file and connect your device in an internet cafe to download onto.

I'm not (quite) geeky enough to go looking for an internet cafe just for this when I'm on holiday. Anyway, I'd have never heard the end of it from my other half Wink

Go 520 + Navcore 8
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK GPSFix is only for when you have moved a long distance before turning the device on again or if you haven't used it recently. Normally if you turn it on near where you turned it off recently, it gets a lock quickly anyway.
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
AFAIK GPSFix is only for when you have moved a long distance before turning the device on again or if you haven't used it recently. Normally if you turn it on near where you turned it off recently, it gets a lock quickly anyway.

Is this definitive? I only ask as when I had a problem with my ephemeris folder, I didn't get offered the gpsfix download and it was taking 5 minutes to get a lock. However when my problem was sorted and gpsfix is used, my lock returned to 30 seconds or so. This was in the same circumstances, i.e. same time of day, same place, same places where I switched on and off and this was every morning over a couple of months.
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:

AIUI it depends a lot on the GPS Chipset - some are smarter and/or more sensitive than others. But generally yes, increasing spatial and/or temporal distance from when it was last on means it takes longer to find a lock.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't downloaded GPS Fix since February. All I need to do for a fix is make sure I don't move off until I have the signal. It's always quick enough for me (I have three devices and by the time I've switched them all on and said good morning to Jane or Kate and stuff, the first one is fixed and the others follow suit soon afterwards.

I never had problems in the good old days before GPS Fix. Several of us concluded earlier this year that GPS Fix was in fact responsible for some very weird wanderings off track at times, so we stopped downloading it. We don't get lost.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I never had problems in the good old days before GPS Fix. Several of us concluded earlier this year that GPS Fix was in fact responsible for some very weird wanderings off track at times, so we stopped downloading it. We don't get lost.

lamplight wrote:
My given postiion was 'out' by varying distances from around 20 or 30 yards to sometimes only a few yards...and sometimes a spinning route on screen. Switching unit on and off didn't cure it, nor did a reset. However it righted itself on each occasion after around 15 minutes or so. I'm not using GPSfix, so that wouldn't be the cause for me.

GPSfix alone isn't causing problems, at least according to lamplights post.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon there are times when the internal spider gets confused. I have three devices, 720, 920 and more recently an HTC Advantage with TTN6. I have found that the top of the range 920 often gets confused and being the only model with EPT (Enhanced Position Technology?) it SHOULD be the best, but is actually the worst! I simply can't rely on it in London canyons whilst the others seem to soldier on regardless.

BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:

GPSfix alone isn't causing problems, at least according to lamplights post.

Yeah, I had wanderings off track etc (particularly abroad) when I used a PDA prior to my current 520 - and I never used QuickGPSfix with that. The 520 seems to suffer very little from that sort of thing.

Go 520 + Navcore 8
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the QGPSFix and have a mobile phone paired with the tomtom I beleive you can download it using the phone data connection. I have never tried it myself as I tend to use the satnav every day and find that it locks on quickly enough anyway. If on holiday abroad the data charges for downloading will be more expensive than in the UK.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(I have three devices and by the time I've switched them all on and said good morning to Jane or Kate and stuff, the first one is fixed and the others follow suit soon afterwards.

Dennis
Having 3 women telling you where to go!! No wonder you need those bloody sunglasses Wink
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi peterc10
Er! I don’t think you would make a good Marriage Guidance Councilor.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Dennis
Having 3 women telling you where to go!! No wonder you need those bloody sunglasses Wink
Yes, well today, I had set aside the 920 (navigate, but sound off) as unreliable, the HTC battery ran down, then the 720 resurrected the handsfree machine gunning and crashed taking all my sounds and routes with it. So with fiddling to try to recover something, I missed the turning for Llantrisant and had to go on to the next junction and turn back. The 720 retained the red banner "Unable to save settings" for the rest of the day and nearly suffered a nasty fate.

So tomorrow, it'll be four devices just as soon as I can get to Asda to buy a 730 (I'm afraid I can't wait so long as for Anita to win me a working one) - Oh how I hope and pray it doesn't do handsfree machineguns!!

The advantage with several PNDs is you can speak rudely to them and the worst response they give is "Turn around when possible".

alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the deep and distant past there was an option to "snap position to road" or something llike that. Perhaps the wandering off course is caused by this bit of software (now used without a choice, I would guess) disengaging for some reason?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: