Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Kenwood DNX5220-BT Proximity Alerts "Bongs"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Kenwood DNX5220-BT Proximity Alerts "Bongs"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgoodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Kenwood DNX5220-BT Proximity Alerts "Bongs" Reply with quote

Hi can anyone tell me if it is possible to just set the proximity alert to just bong once when approaching a speed camera and if so how do you do it. As its damn annoying at the moment.

Thanks
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the repeated bongs are for if you re over speed as you approach the camera... are you sure you want rid of them??! that's one of the best features of how garmin handle speed camera data if you ask me!

MaFt
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the repeated bongs are for if you re over speed as you approach the camera...
MaFt
MaFt, can you confirm that if the files were transferred in KPH rather than MPH, you'd get the bongs, even if you were below the (real(=MPH)) speed limit? Could that be the problem?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
mrgoodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the repeated bongs are for if you re over speed as you approach the camera... are you sure you want rid of them??! that's one of the best features of how garmin handle speed camera data if you ask me!

MaFt

Well im happy with a bong to notify me of a speed camera. But would like to get rid of the bongs that notify you of going over the camera speed limit.

Can you tell me how to stop this

Thanks
mrgoodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok now. I have sorted it
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgoodge wrote:
Its ok now. I have sorted it
Slowed down? Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
steveowl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kenwood G421 and have same issue with bongs! How have you sorted it?
fokkerjet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Bongs,' whilst annoying are a definite bonus. I drive a Subaru Impreza and the speed can build up frighteningly fast if you are not paying attention. When I hear 'Bong Bong' a quick look down and the border to the unit is red and the speed camera it is worried about is clearly marked with the speed. If you continue above this speed, you will get regular 'Bongs' and how regular depends on how much above the limit you are. If you are 20 mph over the limit, you get a bong about every second. Once you are within about 10% it goes down to about one every ten seconds. Less than a minute of annoyance and a clean licence!

The only criticism of this system I have, and I would be delighted if anyone knew how to alter this, is the distance before the camera that the unit starts 'Bonging.' It seems to start off about half a mile prior to the camera which is simply too far. I would personally have it set to about 200 yards which would be more than enough to lift off the noisy pedal and drop the speed.

The TomTom is much better in this respect as it sounds the alarm depending on your speed as it calculates a time before the camera rather than a set distance (which the user can specify). Maybe the Kenwood does this as well, however, it is just too long!

Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Kenwood units are Garmin based it's possible you may be able to use Ash10's Camera Manager to tweak the files and then upload. You should be able to use the free version to test any adjustments.

However, you do so at your own risk. I've yet to find anyone who has used CM with a Kenwood unit. Having said that all CM does it produce a different set of files which have a GPX extension instead of CSV. These are then loaded with POILoader in exactly the same way the CSV files are and it results in a much larger POI.GPI file which you need to load to the Kenwood unit.
And3_T
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to provide a contrary view point, I have a Kenwood 5220BT unit and after a few goes have no problems with CM. I am that pleased with it that I have upgraded to the full version. Very Happy
My only annoyance with the whole POI issue is that I get bonged in the proximity of any camera even when the Camera is not on the road I am driving! Mad Still at least the system works and I would recommend persevering with it.

Andy Thomas
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up on And3_T's comments above, I too have used Camera Manager to add voice alerts for speed cameras on my DNX8220BT.

I have split the warnings (using the full version of CM) so that I get a spoken alert as I approach and a camera shutter sound if I am exceeding the posted limit. Works a treat.

Initially when I used the limited version of CM, all I could have was spoken alerts for both - and it was rather annoying, especially for non-existent moble scamera sites

I also tried to use the speed-zoned data but I think it creates too large a file (8.5Mb) to load into the Kenwood unit so I am using the consolidated database.

Incidentally, I am using POI Loader 2.5.3 with .wav files. Not sure which version of sox.exe I have but I got it from a link on this site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: