Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I need your help .....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I need your help .....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: I need your help ..... Reply with quote

.... please. Smile

How many have read the POI Submission Guidelines found HERE?

More to the point how many of you follow them?

Section 1 states -
Quote:
As the Subcategory name is used for the POI file name there is no need to include it in the Title box.

I then have to spend time editing the Title box.

Please note all the contents of Section 3.

Most use of these POIs will be made on SatNavs that are installed in cars. Therefore the correct, and nearest, access is required. SatNavs lock to the nearest road, and it may not be the correct one for car parking, or access. If the location is well away from the road it might not even Navigate there.

Section 4. Oh, if only the Comments box was used more regularly. This is especially so if there is a Removal, or a Change.

I would rather that too much was put in the Comments Box, than nothing.

Section 5. Ah, phone numbers. I have never seen so many variations of phone numbers. An example is given in the guidelines, but it's rarely followed. Spaces and non-numeric characters are NOT required, except for the initial '+' sign. It requires extra effort to manually have to change the data.

Section 6. Although it is good to see the correct Action selected, if there is a slip up the contents of the Comments Box (see Sect. 4) can make it clear what the intentions were.

Section 7. There are still submissions for Dining Pubs. If these are not on the Dining Pubs list then they will be changed to the 'Pubs' category.

I have to spend time checking them out. Time that could be better spent.

I can 'do' a Remove/Change in a couple of minutes, if everything is as it should be.

This morning I did 50+ submissions. 45 of them I did quicker than the other 5.

It does make a lot of difference if you make the effort. I don't want to reject any submission. But I shouldn't have to do all your work for you.

Together let's make this a DB to be proud of.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, aye, Captain!
Duly noted....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

JimPrice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard

I suspect that I am guilty of not understanding how you want the location and name of POI's submitted as I had not read the above thread before

I agree with what you are trying to do as I travel around the country and just the name of a pub say is not much use without simple and obvious information as to the location of the premises so I agree that it makes sense to start the information off with the location

In a fairly small town or village, say something like Wrexham that would be fine but in a large City like Birmingham does it not also require the particular area of Birmingham eg Kings Heath

To somebody from the Birmingham area they would probably know whereabouts Kings Heath is but it is unlikely that strangers to the area would

As large areas like Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol etc have their own easily identified Post Codes would it not be feasable for these places to start of with the initial part of the Post Code followed by the local area name and then the name of the POI seperated by a comma
eg B68 - Oldbury, The Bell
eg B92 - Shirley, The Crown
eg B6 - Aston, The Boar Inn

In fact would it not be better to start every location with the intial part of the Post Code where known

Previously when I have identified the vehicle entrance in a road other than the given postal address of the property I have included the actual postal address as part of the title, but if I have read the thread correct I take it that you want the full address included as part of the comments

That being the case does that mean that the entries have to be sent through your website individually or is it possible to input this informaton directly onto to a OV2 file either using the TomTom machine or POIEdit
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimPrice wrote:
In a fairly small town or village, say something like Wrexham that would be fine but in a large City like Birmingham does it not also require the particular area of Birmingham eg Kings Heath
We tend to use the major suburb in the Title as it then 'narrows down' the area.

JimPrice wrote:
To somebody from the Birmingham area they would probably know whereabouts Kings Heath is but it is unlikely that strangers to the area would
It depends a lot on how you use POIs. Unfortunately, we can't cater for each eventuality.

You'd be surprised how many people know where Kings Heath is. Smile

JimPrice wrote:
As large areas like Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol etc have their own easily identified Post Codes would it not be feasable for these places to start of with the initial part of the Post Code followed by the local area name and then the name of the POI seperated by a comma
eg B68 - Oldbury, The Bell
eg B92 - Shirley, The Crown
eg B6 - Aston, The Boar Inn
If they knew the Postcode, they would probably know the address. Having said that there is merit in the suggestion.

JimPrice wrote:
Previously when I have identified the vehicle entrance in a road other than the given postal address of the property I have included the actual postal address as part of the title, but if I have read the thread correct I take it that you want the full address included as part of the comments
The details box is more for the full address, if known. The comments box is more for determining the reason for the submission. I would rather read a long tale in the Comments Box, than have to second guess some of the submissions.

JimPrice wrote:
That being the case does that mean that the entries have to be sent through your website individually or is it possible to input this informaton directly onto to a OV2 file either using the TomTom machine or POIEdit
If there is a Change, or Removal, then it is better to do this through the Submission Page.

You can send a file, with locations. The link/instructions are at the bottom of the Submit a POI Page.

Look for Submit a POI file. It is intended for locations that will be in the same sub-category.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I am again with another request. Rolling Eyes

Just lately there have been several bulk submissions, which have been been taken from Company Web Sites.

Can I ask, that if you do this, and there are more than a dozen entries, you submit them as a OV2 or CSV File. It does save a lot of hard work. Crying or Very sad

Also it has been noted that they are mostly generated from the given Postcode, and we all know how (in)accurate that can be. Shocked

It would be so much better if the locations are checked, before submission, for accuracy with at least the full address and, ideally, from local knowledge. If not we then risk the POIs not being quite as accurate as we would all like.

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Can I ask, that if you do this, and there are more than a dozen entries, you submit them as a OV2 or CSV File.

Perhaps you should get the instructions page changed ...

Quote:
Submit a POI file
Email any new POI files to POIs@pocketgpsworld.com suggesting names for the Category and Subcategory to be used. Remember that all submitted files must be free of any copyright restrictions. Text files in the following format are preferred

longitude,latitude,"Title","Details"

where both the longitude and latitude values are in decimal degrees. For example -0.78707,51.23793,"Heath End","97 Farnborough Road, Farnham, Surrey GU9 9AL 01252 123456"
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Perhaps you should get the instructions page changed ...
Confused

dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed how quickly the dozen or so POI additions and changes I submitted over the last few days have appeared on the list; well done and thanks!

I know you've been busy but could I ask you please to reply to my email about adding a new category for the 23 Nottingham tram stops and entering them from a list? (I could do 'em if there was anywhere to put 'em and I knew how much detail you can cope with!)

And would it be possible for the 'Action' menu to include a means to suggest adding a new category?

David
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I do take note of what you are saying ,take me for example are my corrections all right ????? ....maybe a polite notice to the person might be in order Rolling Eyes ..I do take into account this means more time but maybe in the long run it could improve things ..don't take offence I'm trying to offer a solution ,stupid or not ...as I would like to know if I am doing it wrong then I Cn try and correct my issues to make your life better

Sorry should add I really appreciate all the hard work you are doing to the database as I have found it is getting more and more reliable over time
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlpruk wrote:
... but could I ask you please to reply to my email about adding a new category for the 23 Nottingham tram stops and entering them from a list? (I could do 'em if there was anywhere to put 'em and I knew how much detail you can cope with!)
I presume you sent the email to pois@pocket....., in which case it doesn't come to me.

This gives some idea of the detail that can be handled:-
Quote:
Submit a POI file
Email any new POI files to POIs@pocketgpsworld.com suggesting names for the Category and Subcategory to be used. Remember that all submitted files must be free of any copyright restrictions. Text files in the following format are preferred

longitude,latitude,"Title","Details"

where both the longitude and latitude values are in decimal degrees. For example -0.78707,51.23793,"Heath End","97 Farnborough Road, Farnham, Surrey GU9 9AL 01252 123456"

dlpruk wrote:
And would it be possible for the 'Action' menu to include a means to suggest adding a new category?
There is some provision for this in Category Other POI, Subcategory Other POI and the Comments Box.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
Hi I do take note of what you are saying ,take me for example are my corrections all right ????? ....maybe a polite notice to the person might be in order Rolling Eyes ..I do take into account this means more time but maybe in the long run it could improve things ..don't take offence I'm trying to offer a solution ,stupid or not ...as I would like to know if I am doing it wrong then I Cn try and correct my issues to make your life better
When reviewing, I do make some changes.

In general these are minor things, and if you, or any others, check those you have submitted you will see the changes I have made. If any. Smile

dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.

If it's easier for both of us for me to keep doing odd things as I started, I'll do the first Nottingham tram stop later this evening and add the rest when you've had time to create the sub-category for them. (And I have time too!)

David
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making this a separate post, as it's not directed at any one individual.

If you are submitting a large number of locations, it is a lot easier if these are submitted as a Text File to pois@pocket....., as they can be uploaded to the database in one go, in less than a second, while individual submissions take a lot longer, especially if it runs into tens, and even hundreds.

Another pointer, and a help to me, if you have a location that needs to be placed somewhere else, it is easier to submit as a Change and drag the Map to the new location, than submit a Removal and then submit an Add New.

It saves the submitter having to make 2 submissions and filling in the details again; and saves me having to Review 2 locations, especially if there are no comments linking the 2 events.

For information there have been 400 submissions this year (2009) already!! We now stand at more than 168,000 locations.

Thank you. Thumbs Up

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
For information there have been 400 submissions this year (2009) already!! We now stand at more than 168,000 locations.

Can I suggest that there are around 800 POIs which need removing from the database? The two categories, Woolworths and MFI (both under Shopping - Other), are probably surplus to requirements now!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: