Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - bluechart v8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

bluechart v8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
witch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: bluechart v8 Reply with quote

I was happy with my gpsmap76cx until I upgraded MapSource from 6.12.2 to 6.14.1.0. I am using Bluechart v8. I once saw numbers representing depths. Now I need to move cursor over depth controur lines to get these numbers. I haven't transfered any mapsets to my gpsmap76cx since the upgrade. Anyone tried this? I don't want to lose depth numbers. Maybe I need to purchase additional memory card so I don't mess up what I have.

I had been using gpsmap76cx on water and on land successfully.
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is with the latest version of MapSource. There's been other posts against it and I suggest you go back to a previous version.

Download MapSource_6137.exe from http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/msource/
Note which directory MapSource was installed in and then uninstall your current version. If MapSource.exe and MapSource_Lang.dll are still there then delete them. Run the installer you've just downloaded.
witch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uninstalled MapSource and installed MapSource_6137. Now MapSource won't launch at all. I get a dialog box that says "MapSource could not find any installed MapSource map products. Please install...."

I have saved the text file with the license for BlueChart. Is this what it wants. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only MapSource you un-installed, right?
In the list of currently installed programs, Garmin Bluechart Atlantic, Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager etc. should have remained, or did you remove these also?
witch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only uninstalled MapSource. Garmin BlueChart Americas V8 and trip and waypoint Manager are listed in my add/remove programs in the control panel. They are also on my hard drive. The Blue Chart folder BCAM8 is over 354 MB.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.

Surely the process of installing a Garmin map (eg TopoUk or Bluechart) 'registers' some information with Mapsource. The process of un-installing MapSource and re-installing could 'lose' this information. Try re-installing the original map product - you have nothing to lose. After all the designers of MapSource would expect you to upgrade the utility - not to erase and re-install.
witch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a "repair" via the control panel add/remove software to fix this issue. I then used my saved .unl file. All is well. I hesitated to reinstall BlueChart because I didn't want to "use up" unlock codes. After hearing from the Garmin product support rep, I learned that that would not have been a problem.

MapSource 6.14.1.0 is still out there and comes up when I ask to upgrade from my software. I asked Garmin why they didn't retire it until this issue was addressed. BEWARE MapSource 6.14.1.0. Garmin is aware of the problem.
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not coming back sooner, it's been a very long weekend away.

I take it you are back to normal then? If so, I don't know what caused the problem. As an exercise I installed MapSource 6.14.1.0 (First time since I didn't like the beta) and ran it to check the maps were OK, then uninstalled. Re-installed 6.13.7 and ran to check the maps again - they were all still there as expected.

philpugh - As with other products, there's registry entries created when a map is installed. Other programs can use these maps, for example nRoute, so uninstalling MapSource, which is just Garmin's management program, shouldn't affect the map entries.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frabble - yes I understand the use of the registry - but I was wondering if the installation of Garmin maps wrote info into the MapSource registry - which should be removed when the product is de-installed. I also know s/w developers like to leave entries in some of the more "obscure" registry keys to prevent deletion/re-installation of trial programs to extend the period.

The use of the repair function to fix this problem would suggest that this may well be the case as a repair simply checks that all files are in the correct directories and that the registry entries are correct.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: