Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman SmartST Pro V2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman SmartST Pro V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman SmartST Pro V2 Reply with quote

We reviewed Navman's SmartST Pro V1 originally back in October 2002. A year and a half on, SmartST Pro V2 is now available (released in the early part of 2004) which gives users a different perspective with 3D view, TeleAtlas maps.

The largest change that Navman have made is that they have decided to switch from NAVTEQ to TeleAtlas for their geodata (map support). As many of you have read in the forums there's quite a backlash from existing Navman users who are used to NAVTEQ maps. Why's this ?

Read the review here.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-smartstpro2-pocketpc.php
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Dave - but it's the age old question TT3 with all of it's problems or the Navman?? what do you think?

Darryl
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - interesting review - and an amusing typo "NAVTEQ have switched to TeleAtlas."

I'm sure you meant "Navman have switched to TeleAtlas". I'm just imagining all the users who prefer NAVTEQ geodata throwing up their hands in horror at the merest suggestion that NAVTEQ have been assimilated by TeleAtlas (which, of course, has not happened).

David
Timo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman SmartST Pro V2 Reply with quote

Dave,
You mention in your review that Navman are allowing existing users to upgrade to V2 rom V1 for free. However, I have not been able to find any information on this. Can you enlighten me on how to get an upgrade?
Regards,
Timo Vogelsang
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review Dave, but can I suggest some alterations and corrections?

"User defined avoid areas" to be added to the 'Main Features' section.

The supplied maps are actually 2003.3 (I assume this to be 2003 quarter 3)

Under 'Maps' correct spelling mistake. Should facilitie be facility or facilities?

Under the '3D View' heading, the sentence starts "Navman like on the Pocket PC version..." This *is* the Pocket PC version.

Under 'Data (Searching for addresses) please add Navigator 3 to the list of perpetrators.

Under 'Technical specifications'

"Map Data NAVTEQ giving support for 14 European Countries" needs correcting to show 'TeleAtlas giving support for 16 countries' (and a couple of principalities).
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair review Dave Exclamation

Some of the issues I haev experienced were not coverd, but these may relate to SmartST V2 and SP1 vs iPaq model issues. I am using an Ipaq 3850 and get regular lock-ups hat require me to soft reset the iPaq. No evidence of this when using SmartST Pro and the service packs.

The other issue is the accuracy of TeleAtlas data. It regularly lists the wrong road when roads merge, e.g. renumbers the A1 to A57 for a period of miles and renumbers the A12 to A120 around Colchester. This does lead to confusing instructions at junctions.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl wrote:
Thanks for the update Dave - but it's the age old question TT3 with all of it's problems or the Navman?? what do you think?

Difficult question as they are both using the same geodata provider. I'd still have to say TomTom gives a much better array of features like customisable POI over Navman.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Dave - interesting review - and an amusing typo "NAVTEQ have switched to TeleAtlas."

I'm sure you meant "Navman have switched to TeleAtlas". I'm just imagining all the users who prefer NAVTEQ geodata throwing up their hands in horror at the merest suggestion that NAVTEQ have been assimilated by TeleAtlas (which, of course, has not happened).

Embarassed Just found that CuteFTP is still stuck on my old backup directory of PocketGPS (have 4 copies of the site), and uploaded the old version. The new versions are available.

Tim, have added some of your mentionables too.
Darryl
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - I am just a bit worried about going for the TT3 as I have an Ipaq 2210 and really wanted to go bluetooth - judging by the excellent content of the forums here it seems that loads of people are having problems?

DS
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth issues (e.g. dropping connections) can happen on most products and I have experienced this on TTN2/3, Navman and CoPilot.

There is another locking up issue TomTom are experiencing on the 2210's and that's if you have a CF card inserted (microdrive type), but ejecting this will stop hangs.
rento
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I m still very interested about navman although i think it has a cluncky look, specially if compared to tomtom3.

I am interested because it allows me to upload only the maps I want rather than the whole country.
It uses 2003.3 maps and those are thought to be superior to the tt3 nav maps

Can anyone confirm if the above is true ?
So whos the best? tt3 or navman ST 2? Why?
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it strange that this thread had been resurrected especially now that v3 has been released.

If you are considering Navman then you are better of purchasing v3 instead of v2 software.
You can still upload sections of the UK (or any EU country) as you can in v2 but the extra features such as custom POI's and POI warning, Itinerary (multiple stops en-route), Multiple Destinations (14 via's in total), Save favourite destinations in Trip Planner, navigate to nearest POI to your location, plus many more, should be good enough reason.

Also at the moment, the Navman v3 maps are more up to date than TomTom 3.

As for the question...
So whos the best? tt3 or navman ST 2? Why?
I would say tt3

If the question was...
So whos the best? tt3 or navman ST 3? Why?
I would say ST 3 for the reasons stated above.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman V2 doesn't really allow you to upload the maps you want, at least not in the sense that Route66 does. What it does allow for is seamless cross-map routing, which I don't think TT does.

V3 of Navman SmartST is even better than V2, in that you can import custom POIs, like $afety cameras, and choose something like 14 "via" points to effectively 'force' the route to go the way you want.

I believe that V2 is 2003.Q1, but V3 is 2004.Q2, I think

As to which is best, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: