Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One v3 turn on by itself!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One v3 turn on by itself!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: One v3 turn on by itself!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi,

We found that my wifes One v3's battery went flat very quickly without it being used. We've now noticed that it turns itself on!! Shocked

First I thought that the wife had just forgotten to turn it off, but nope - during dinner tonight it suddenly announced "turn left"! And I'm certain that it was turned off after updating some POI's earlier.

Has anyone had this problem, and more importantly - how do I fix it???

esim

TT 720, TT One v3
HTC One V, Asus TF101, Garmin eTrex
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the One Third Edition gets lonely from time to time so it powers up on its own. Mine has done this for the last 9 months on and off, there is no reason why - keep it charged up and you will be fine, hopefully TT will release some software that cures the insomnia the device seems to suffer from - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to mine about 18 months ago, and I eventually realised that it followed my use of a (cheap) 2GB SD card from My Memory. It would work fine for a few weeks, then the card would somehow become corrupt and the unit would either freeze or keep turning itself on. Formatting the card and copying from my backup would fix things for a while, then same again.
Eventually I replaced the card with a Sandisk Extreme III and have not had a problem for 18 months.
By the way, I am assuming that, as described in your post, you are using the One v3, which is the same as mine. The Third edition, which is the terminology used by Mike Alder, is a different beast which, I think, does not have a SD card
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
By the way, I am assuming that, as described in your post, you are using the One v3, which is the same as mine. The Third edition, which is the terminology used by Mike Alder, is a different beast which, I think, does not have a SD card
Robin
Mine is the One Third Edition without SD card or SD card slot and it has suffered from this insomnia for around 9 months - Mike
esim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not just us going funny.

It's had some serious consequences though after a holiday in May when it hadn't been used fro three weeks it was so flat that it couldn't start up when connected to the PC and consequently corrupted the internal drive. Crying or Very sad

Luckily the maps were ok, so could reformat and rebuild the unit. That was the time I learned from TomTom that there is no warranty on the maps, if they get corrupt and you don't have a backup then you have to buy new ones.... Shocked

esim

TT 720, TT One v3
HTC One V, Asus TF101, Garmin eTrex
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: One v3 turn on by itself!!!!! Reply with quote

This also happens occasionally with my 720. I thought it was due to touching the On button - update to 8.010 software made startup instantaneous - but even when sat on the desk, untouched, it would reboot of its own accord.

The only solution I have found to date is a paperclip reset. This seems to cure it for a while at least.
othilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 730 does the same and my Fathers OneXL.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: