Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Pocket FMS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Pocket FMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Pocket FMS Reply with quote

Peter has recently completed his review of Pocket FMS. Pocket FMS is free but uses a shareware based (donation) system to help support the project.

Pocket FMS supports both PC and PDA's and although is still in beta, is an exciting piece of navigation software.

The full Pocket FMS Review is available here.
Sonex293
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Review. I'm really looking forward to the further development of this softare.

Things I'd like to see improved in the software ....

1. A zoom scale indicator is definitely needed as was pointed out in the review.
2. A single "download all zoom levels" button would be a nice addition.
3. More detail at the higher zoom levels.
4. Obstructions are not shown in the US, although the software supports it.

Michael Crowder
Thumbs Up
Flyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Prehaps you can help.
I have an Ipaq 1940 witha TomTom blutooth GPS and running PocketFMS.
I am unable to establish a gps connection whatsoever. I did apply the recommended fix regarding unistalling the gps driver from the PDA but to no avail.
Can you help?

Regards

Peter.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you've uninstalled TomTom ~ GPS ? Did it ask you to do a restart ?

If you go into the GPS screen you should see the various COM ports and baud rate, I'm not sure what the Bluetooth port is on the 194x so you might need to experiment. Setting the baud rate to 4800 should work, you just need to get the COM port set correctly. Try something like COM 4, 5 or 6. On the 2210 it's COM8 but I don't believe it's that on the 194x.
afekhad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Problem unresolved with TomTom and Pocket FMS Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a question concerning TomTom Navigator uses and Pocket FMS. I saw that there is a kind of solution, to help working both programs together (by uninstalling TomTom ~ GPS).

That is true, after that Pocket FMS can find the GPS device and everything is fine. But the problem is that TomTom isn’t able to start anymore: the GPS program has been uninstalled in the same time. So I had to install TomTom GPS driver again, and the problem with Pocket FMS came back…

Do you have any solution?
I’m using the last version of the TomTom GPS Driver 2.09

Thanks for your help.
znww5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Pocket FMS now €150 - per year. Reply with quote

Just a note to say that Pocket FMS is no longer free.

You can download a 30 day trial which is activated by a key sent to you by e-mail. After the 30 days expires the software will not work.

You will then have to pay €150 EVERY year to continue using the software.

Sounds expensive to me!

Regards,

David Bobbett, UK
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not any more expensive than some of the other software out there. And the new version has weather capability included along with some other new features. Not bad for what you get.
BillShields
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Pocket FMS today Reply with quote

Since this review was written over five years ago, this product has developed enormously. The not-for-profit Pocket FMS Foundation has used the subscription income very effectively to enormously enhance this software, to the point where it is now much more powerful and versatile than commercial products from Garmin and the like, which cost thousands of pounds to buy and which run only on proprietary hardware. It's constantly being improved by a responsive team of enthusastists who are first and foremost pilots, not software engineers who have never got past FSX. Chart updates for the entire globe are released monthly, at no cost over the annual subscription, which is less than Garman charges each and every month for a single region. Weather, including rain radar, is included, and METARS and TAFs can be updated live in the cockpit if you've got a phone in your PDA. In my view, it's the best flight planning and flight management system avaialble at any price, but as it costs less than an hour in the air it's an absolute bargain as well.
ivison
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Bill is absolutly right and the application has again been developed significantly recently and well worth a look. It has also developed mini versions for the Android and iPhone as AirspaceAVOID. Full versions are coming shortly.

Checkout www.pocketfms.com

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: