Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Laptop 'Wireless Mode' Switches Itself Off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop 'Wireless Mode' Switches Itself Off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Laptop 'Wireless Mode' Switches Itself Off Reply with quote

I have an HP Pavilion DV1355ea notebook or laptop, which has wireless capability. I no longer have a desktop PC and use the laptop as my only computer. I am using an Orange livebox wireless router for internet access.

When surfing the net, occasionally my wireless light goes out, without me having switched it off. Unfortunately I don't always notice and when I next select a page, it times out and says website not found or similar phrase. This is particularly annoying when making online purchases as some sites do not allow you to refresh the page and I have to start all over again.

I get back online very quick by pressing my wireless button twice (once to turn it off and once for back on), but I still find it increasingly infuriating.

Is there any techno-wiz out there who can think of anything obvious which may be turning my wireless off without my say-so ??

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to reply with questions but a little more detail please. I take it you mean the lappy light and not the router.

1. Which OS?
2. Is this problem recent, same on another network?
3. Battery or mains.
4. Which power profile?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the HP site to see if their is a driver update, Although I am having no probs on my Acer which i only bought a couple of months ago I have already recieved two updates for my wireless reciever, I do find that the wifi on the Acer seems better than my old HP.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Sorry to reply with questions but a little more detail please. I take it you mean the lappy light and not the router.

1. Which OS?
2. Is this problem recent, same on another network?
3. Battery or mains.
4. Which power profile?

1. XP with SP3.
2. Only been with Orange since I went wireless, been the same all the time.
3. Mains power, the battery is pretty useless.
4. What is a Power Profile ?

999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Have you tried the HP site to see if their is a driver update, Although I am having no probs on my Acer which i only bought a couple of months ago I have already recieved two updates for my wireless reciever, I do find that the wifi on the Acer seems better than my old HP.

Downloaded a new driver yesterday. Seems ok so far, but it was an intermittent problem, so will see how I get on. Thanks for that.

wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 999Tommo

Power profile power/saving etc. I think Mullet thoughts are is the wireless being turned off by you power settings ...

you can check by opening your control panel and selecting the power settings.

just make sure every thing is set to full power when plugged in and the wireless isn't set to switch off to save power.............

also check that you are not getting signal interference from surrounding wireless networks.. you may find a change Chanel's in you wirless router could help.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...ok.

4. Power profile - ALWAYS ON Screen off after 15 mins, otherwise it is on all the time and wireless is not prompted to turn off.

Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. Power profiles are performance settings designed to manage the balance between power saving and performance. A low setting reduces the wireless functionality to save power.

However, I looked round and found this huge thread amongst many other complaints (takes a while to load).
HP wireless was/is distinctly dodgy although I have no issues on my Pavilion Tx2000, but then again I updated everything including the BIOS. See if your current fix works. If not, make a full backup, find and install the latest drivers and BIOS from the HP site.

A search finds the Orange livebox is not without its issues, but from what you say the problem seems to be the WiFi adaptor. Thoughts being the router will not turn off the wireless adaptor.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: