Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are Credit Card Renewals Recurring?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Credit Card Renewals Recurring?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. I have cancelled the recurring payment. It took me 20 minutes.

I'm shocked to hear it took that long! Was there a specific reason it took so long, i.e. did you have problems finding the right pages etc.?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Will everybody's subscriptions renew automatically?

If people subscribed on the basis of a one-off, single year subscription and you're now changing that to automatic renewal, I wonder if it might cause a backlash from the membership.

No, only new memberships will renew automatically.

GPS_fan wrote:
If somebody qualifies for free lifetime subscription, who will then be responsible for canceling PayPal - the member or PGPSW team?

If you tell somebody they have lifetime subscription and then a payment is taken, I fear this will reflect rather badly upon PGPSW

Even if the payment is taken in error it will be refunded in all circumstances.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:

I'm shocked to hear it took that long! Was there a specific reason it took so long, i.e. did you have problems finding the right pages etc.?

It took so long because of my total lack of familiarity with PayPal. I use it only for the subscription to this site. I could not get it to accept the password that I thought I had used when making my payment so I had to have it reset.
The page was not difficult to find but I was not really sure that I had cancelled only the recurring part rather than cancelling my subscription completely. As my account here still shows that I have almost a year left on my subscription I must have got it right Smile
It was all much simpler (for me) when it did not take a recurring payment. You will find out in a years time if the new system is better from your point of view, I expect that it will be.
I would still prefer to have an option to pay for only one year or set up a recurring payment, I think that you could make both options available if you chose to do so.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know. We base almost everything we do on the site on community comments and we take on board all feedback we get.

When I get a minute, I'll rejig the help page and sign-up page to make things clearer.
tot3764
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

I really think you should make it clearer. I would also suggest that you reconsider this policy as I do not think it is in the interests of PGPSW. On the opening payment screen I understood that I had the option to pay by Credit Card through Paypal or through a Paypal account. It was only after Paypal had got my Credit Card details that I found out that I had to open a Paypal account to proceed. Being a cynical old s*d, it makes me very suspicious of sharp practice when this sort of thing happens. Again not in the interests of PGPSW.

I found myself having to bomb out of the payments page, something that makes me very nervous after entering my details as I was not prepared to be sucked in to Paypal this way.

I note that you offer an option to pay by cheque so I guess that this is what I will have to do if I am to continue using your database unless of course you revert to your old system. It does seem a crazy thing though in this day and age. A quick search around the internet should give you plenty of reasons why many people (including me obviously) do not want to open a Paypal account.

Incidentally, I note the post from MaFt on the 20th Aug saying:
Quote:
for info: i sent you an email at 15:03 today to your registered email address

All I can say is I never got it. I have however received notifications from watching this topic so something obviously went wrong in the ether with his email.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tot3764 wrote:
A quick search around the internet should give you plenty of reasons why many people (including me obviously) do not want to open a Paypal account.

But paying by PayPal is quite a bit safer than giving any old Tom, Dick or Harry your credit card number, isn't it (Sorry Rob, No inference was meant to point to PGPSW and the comment below is aimed at all compulsory continuing subscriptions. Very Happy )
But as you say you listen to users, I will have my two pennorth (although it does not apply to me at PGPSW Very Happy Very Happy ). Having fallen foul of continuing subscriptions on a couple of occasions elsewhere, I do agree with some of the comments re. this. I think that people who do this are trying to get people who only want to subscribe for a year, to forget to cancel and then have to try to get the money back (or not bother, depending on the amount). The continuing subscribtion should be an option for those who want it. It's not realy good enough to say that 'you can always cancel the continuous bit'. Why should users who only want to subscribe for a year using paypal then have another step of cancelling the continuous bit which may not go a smoothly as it might do vis a vis pcaouolt? Confused
petesyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read Darrens article on the home page regarding recurring subscriptions and mrfranks reply about his Paypal account not showing any recurring subs I have the same problem i.e no show.Can I assume from this I do not have a recurring subscription, or do PocketGPS or PayPal have a bug in their system?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petesyboy wrote:
Having read Darrens article on the home page regarding recurring subscriptions and mrfranks reply about his Paypal account not showing any recurring subs I have the same problem i.e no show.Can I assume from this I do not have a recurring subscription, or do PocketGPS or PayPal have a bug in their system?
Hace a look at Darren's lastest post here.

I presume that Paypal take a %age of each payment, so maybe it is to their advantage to make recurring payments so difficult to find!!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
petesyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock,I can find Paypals recurring payments page OK and had looked at it before I posted,the point I am making is like mrfrank it does not show any recurring payments and I would expect one as I signed up this year.If it is not there you obviously cannot cancel.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petesyboy wrote:
Jock,I can find Paypals recurring payments page OK and had looked at it before I posted,the point I am making is like mrfrank it does not show any recurring payments and I would expect one as I signed up this year.If it is not there you obviously cannot cancel.

Open a support ticket and we can investigate. If there is one then we need to establish why you cannot see it or if you are looking in the wrong place?

Does this help:
Quote:
Sign in to your PayPal account, locate our subscription and cancel it (see below). This will cancel the recurring payment, without cancelling your membership with us.

You can make changes to subscriptions from your PayPal account as follows:

1. Log in to your account at www.paypal.co.uk
2. Click 'History' at the top of the page
3. Choose the 'Subscriptions' field to filter the account history
3a. If 'Subscriptions' is not showing then hover over the 'More filters', then 'Subscriptions and agreements' and then click 'Subscriptions'
4. Find the Subscription creation and click 'Details'

CA_0213122956
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: New user question Reply with quote

Hi - I have started using PFPS iPhone App and find it really effective So I decided to sign up for updates - but I can't find a simple credit card option. I do not have a PayPal account and because of all the reported problems people have had (not with your site but with PayPal generally) I won't open an account just for PGPS.

You have a great product - is there an easier way to subscribe? For example just a credit card sign-up page?

I notice most Q&A in this section are very old. Sorry if I am missing something obvious.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New user question Reply with quote

CA_0213122956 wrote:
Hi - I have started using PFPS iPhone App and find it really effective So I decided to sign up for updates - but I can't find a simple credit card option. I do not have a PayPal account and because of all the reported problems people have had (not with your site but with PayPal generally) I won't open an account just for PGPS.

You have a great product - is there an easier way to subscribe? For example just a credit card sign-up page?

I notice most Q&A in this section are very old. Sorry if I am missing something obvious.

Hi, you can subscribe using NoChex or good old fashioned checque. See here for info: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/alternate-subscription.php

Also, if you plan on using the forums more and want to change your username to something more memorable then please submit a support ticket here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/support.php

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: