Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - copying TTN3 application & maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

copying TTN3 application & maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: copying TTN3 application & maps Reply with quote

Please, can anyone help with either of these problems Sad :

1. I accidentally deleted Active Sync in Windows' folder on my PPC and the only way to restore it seems to be to hard-reset the PPC, which will delete all my software including TTN3's application. If I back up everything, or just make a copy of TTN3's application to the PPC's on-board SD or CF card, will I then be able to restore or copy back to the PPC a working version of the application without having to re-activate it via TomTom ?

2. I originally installed TTN3's maps on a relatively small SD card. Now that the price of these cards is falling, I bought a larger one from Expansys, manufactured by DaneElec. However, despite many attempts at loading TTN3's maps onto the new SD card, from TTN's CD, every time I get an error dialog box telling me there is no SD card in my PPC. TomTom advised me to reformat the card to FAT33, small clusters, but it made no difference other than preventing the card being used in my digital camera which does not read FAT33 files. As a temporary work-around, I copied the maps from the original SD card to the CF card and then on to the new, larger, SD card, but this is not a permanent solution as I had hoped, eventually, to buy TomTom's European maps and instal them on my new, larger, SD card -which will, presumably, result in the same problems as I am having with the UK maps. Are DaneElec cards unreliale perhaps?

Should be most grateful for any suggested solutions please.

Cheers,

Tony
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you've lost ActiveSync - or have you just lost the shortcut? If so, the latter can be restored. Usually, even if the shortcut has been lost, cradling the Pocket PC will start ActiveSync. If it doesn't then a hard reset is really your only option.

Activation is unlikely to be too traumatic if you do have to hard reset - the details are kept both on the PC and the Pocket PC if you activated automatically through the installer. Even if you have to reactivate, activating the same Pocket PC again doesn't use up an activation opportunity.

Map installation - try telling the TomTom installer to copy the maps to your hard disk, then use ActiveSync's Explore feature to copy the map files to your storage card. If you've got an SD card reader, use that instead - it's the quicker, easier option all round.

See this thread for more details.

David
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: copying TTN3 application & maps Reply with quote

Thanks 'Berisford' and 'DavidW'. I followed your advice & managed to load the maps from the CD straight onto the SD card, via a PCMCIA adaptor, after re-formatting the card to FAT to restore compatibility with other devices. Much better than than Active Sync, as you say. Thanks for your help.

DavidW, I note with your interest your remarks about whether or not I actually unistalled Active Sync on the PPC. I did, because I used File Explorer to find the Windows folder named Active Sync and then I deleted the contents. Now the folder is empty -should it be, or should there be files inside it? The funny thing is that, as you suggest, when I connected the PPC to the PC, Active Sync started working again. I can use it to load software, but when I try to browse files on the PPC from PC, all I can see are the files' icons; clicking on them only opens up a 'properties' dialog box, not the actual files. Is that how the 'browse' function should work or should one be able to open and view PPC files from the desktop? I haven't used the sync function (not a feature I need) so I don't know if that works as it should. From this explanation, can you tell please whether my Active Sync is working normally or whether there is anything to be gained by a hard-reset?

Cheers,

Tony
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot view the contents of files stored on the PPC via ActiveSync. To achieve that you need to copy them to the PC, it's a function of ActiveSync and not a problem with your configuration Thumbs Up
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: copying TTN3 application & maps Reply with quote

Darren,

Many thanks for clarifying that my inability to open and view files on the PPC from ActiveSync's 'browse' button on the PC is a 'normal' limitation of ActiveSync and not a malfunction of my system as a result of my having accidentally deleted ActiveSync files on my PPC. Therefore, I won't have to hard re-set the PPC as I feared. Still, I'm puzelled that ActiveSync works at all despite the absence of any files in its Windows folder on the PPC -I'll put it down to a supernatural answer to a prayer unless anyone has a rational explanation.

DavidW, many thanks for your further clarification that a hard re-set may not involve me having to contact TomTom to reactivate their application; as you surmise, when I originally loaded their application on the PPC, everything set itself up automatically once I had entered the code and I didn't have to contact TomTom for any special activation procedure. If I understand you correctly, should I have to hard re-set my PPC for any other reason in future, TTN3's application should restore itself and work normally after running the 'back-up' and 'restore' procedures on the PPC. Is that what you mean or would I have to re-instal it from TT's CD ROM, or do anything else?

Am impressed by the fund of knowledge on this Forum and am most grateful for everyone's help. I had originally raised all these questions with TomTom's and Toshiba's Technical Support people but they both sent me on wild goose chases and obviously don't know as much about their own products as people on this site. My compliments, once again, on the expertise of all contribuors here. Cheers, Tony Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from 'odd' Pocket PCs such as some Jornadas and Toshibas that do strange things with their hardware ID on a hard reset, a restore with Sprite Backup will leave TomTom Navigator 2 or 3 operational straight away.

The backup and restore functionality in ActiveSync is a bit flaky - I do recommend you take a look at Sprite Backup if you're not already using it. (If you are using an iPAQ with iPAQ Backup, it's an old version of Sprite Backup - you can get the latest 3.0 Premium version for just US$10 - plus VAT if you're in the EU).

If restoring a backup doesn't get you back into operation, there should be no problems simply reinstalling from your original CD ROM using the product code.

The folder you'd blanked, so far as I can tell, just contains data dynamically generated by ActiveSync. It certainly doesn't contain the ActiveSync application. If you find any malfunctions with ActiveSync, I'd start out by deleting the partnership (File -> Delete Partnership on the PC) and creating a new one, which will probably bring things fully back to life.

As Darren says, you can't manipulate files directly in an ActiveSync Explore window - all you can do is cut and paste or copy and paste files. This is largely due to the file translation behaviour of ActiveSync - the way it's designed would make the behaviour undefined in some cases if direct file manipulation were permitted.

David
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: copying TTN3 application & maps Reply with quote

David, many thanks for that full explanation and this happy bunny Laughing
is relieved to know that he probably only deleted files dynamically created by Active Sync rather than the program itself.

But, yes, I am the owner of one of the oddball PPCs you mention Confused (Toshiba e800), so may have to find out the hard way what you mean by
"Toshibas.....do strange things with their hardware ID on a hard reset" 8O
But the Tosh does have it's own back-up utility, though I don't know whether it's proprietary or a Sprite import. Presumably, you would agree it's safe enough to try this first before investing in Sprite?

Thanks again for all help.

Cheers,

Tony
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only try it - the worst case if it doesn't work is you'll have to reinstall everything. On most people's Pocket PCs that isn't too painful - so long as they've got copies of all their data (synchronising Files in ActiveSync has value here).

I don't know whether the e800 is one of the models that can, so far as TomTom Navigator goes, change its hardware ID after a hard reset or not.

David
Tony Bond
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: copying TTN3 application & maps Reply with quote

Thanks, again, David.

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: