Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are Credit Card Renewals Recurring?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Credit Card Renewals Recurring?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tot3764
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Are Credit Card Renewals Recurring? Reply with quote

Can anyone please confirm that if I use a credit card to renew my subscription that I am not signing up for a recurring payment. I only want to renew for a year at a time and am spooked by the fact that I note that if I were to use Paypal, (which I will not), I would be sucked in to this recurring charge business.

I have emailed this question to PGPS but have so far received no reply.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscriptions are not automatically renewed.

You'll receive an e-mail shortly before your subscription expires and will then have the choice of if/how you renew
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, sorry for the confusion, we are testing recurring subscriptions at the moment. If you do not want it to recur simply log in to your PayPal account and cancel the subscription. You will continue to have access for the remainder of the year.
tot3764
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I don't want to open a Paypal Account. Can't I just pay with my Credit Card?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the system does not support it at this time. However we do accept worldwide cheques, UK postal and international money orders.

If you prefer, please make payment for £19.00 payable to PocketGPSWorld.com and send to:

PocketGPSWorld.com Ltd.
5 Keysland, Thundersley
Essex
SS7 3TW UK

Many thanks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for info: i sent you an email at 15:03 today to your registered email address

Quote:
Hi,

Yes the subscription is now a recurring payment however there is no scam involved. If you do not want it to recur simply log in to your PayPal account and cancel the subscription. You will continue to have access for the remainder of the year.

Thanks

MaFt

MaFt
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please consider making this automatic renewal an option. I, for one, never sign up to any web site that automatically renews the subscription. I will not be making an exception to my rule for this site.

I do not want to have to give up my subscription to the site as I find it very useful but I will walk away if you enforce automatic renewal.

It is no good saying that I will have to log in to paypal to cancel the automatic renewal, I use paypal reluctantly for this subscription only and I am not sufficiently familiar with the workings of it to want to do that.

Fortunately I only renewed a week ago so have 51 weeks left to see what you decide.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have also merged the registration/subscription process incorporating a simpler and faster sign-up process. It's a much more straightforward system and thankfully we are now witnessing much less support issues.

Although the automatic renewal will be useful to most (we have a huge following of loyal customers who always renew), we do recognise that some will not welcome the perceived lack of control. With that in mind we will refund anyone who forgot that their membership would be automatically renewed and complains - as long as they don't download an update after renewal.

This is not the usual response you would receive from the thousands of businesses, on and offline, who use automatic renewals and just respond to compaints with 'you should have read the terms'.

Your PayPal payments can be easily cancelled at any time. Log in to your PayPal account, click Profile at the top of the page and click the Recurring Payments link in the Financial Information column. Find PocketGPSWorld.com and click the View Payment link. Then click the Cancel button.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, When and if the auto renewal comes in to force, will we still receive an e-mail, advising that the current subscription is about to be renewed?

If not, would you please consider doing this?

I have no intention at this time unsubscribing, but it may that at some point in the future I stop driving and therefore would no longer need to download the database.

Thanks for your consideration.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Rob, When and if the auto renewal comes in to force, will we still receive an e-mail, advising that the current subscription is about to be renewed?

Yes, sorry Richard, I forgot to mention that everyone will receive an advice about renewal before it happens. This will act a reminder before any money is drawn, but I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone wouldn't want to renew Wink

Last edited by RobBrady on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Your PayPal payments can be easily cancelled at any time. Log in to your PayPal account, click Profile at the top of the page and click the Recurring Payments link in the Financial Information column. Find PocketGPSWorld.com and click the View Payment link. Then click the Cancel button.

To the best of my knowledge I do not have a PayPal account. I did use PayPal to make the payment to PGPSW using my credit card through their system. As far as I am aware this was a one off payment, I did not enter a user name or password and although I have had an email from PayPal encouraging me to register on their site I have not done so.
Presumably this will prevent your automatic renewal?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
To the best of my knowledge I do not have a PayPal account.
You do have a recurring payment due on 13 Aug. 2009 and, according to PayPal, you do have a PayPal account - they set you up during the payment process. If you cannot remember your password you can request it from PayPal on their login page.

But please don't worry, if you don't want to renew when you receive the advice, just email us at subscriptions @ PocketGPSWorld.com and we will cancel it.

Even if you forget and get charged, we will refund. We only want happy subscribers who choose to be subscribers Smile
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I would give up my subscription would be if I grow too old to drive!

Not for some years yet, I hope.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
You do have a recurring payment due on 13 Aug. 2009 and, according to PayPal, you do have a PayPal account - they set you up during the payment process.

But please don't worry, if you don't want to renew when you receive the advice, just email us at subscriptions @ PocketGPSWorld.com and we will cancel it.

Even if you forget and get charged, we will refund. We only want happy subscribers who choose to be subscribers Smile

Thank you for the clarification. I have cancelled the recurring payment. It took me 20 minutes. Sad
I am happy with my subscription Very Happy , I enjoy using the site but I want to decide each year if/when to renew.
I did not notice anything during the renewal process to indicate that the renewal had changed to a recurring payment although I have since noticed it in the terms on your renewal page. Maybe I am over reacting but I am very nervous of internet payments in general and I like to feel in control of them. It never occured to me that you might have changed to a recurring payment system until I read it, by chance, in this forum.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will everybody's subscriptions renew automatically?

If people subscribed on the basis of a one-off, single year subscription and you're now changing that to automatic renewal, I wonder if it might cause a backlash from the membership.

If somebody qualifies for free lifetime subscription, who will then be responsible for canceling PayPal - the member or PGPSW team?

If you tell somebody they have lifetime subscription and then a payment is taken, I fear this will reflect rather badly upon PGPSW

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: