Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 910 - how do you fit a new battery?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 910 - how do you fit a new battery?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary1a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: tomtom 910 - how do you fit a new battery? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have bought a new battery for my 910 but do not know how to fit it.
I've taken the module out of the case but can still not see the battery. As I'm unsure what to take apart next, can anyone please help.

Thanks.
Gary.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a major breakdown as the battery must have been one of the first items ever installed as the unit was assembled, it is not an easy task and unless you are quite good taking small electronic devices to bits I would be very wary of undertaking this job, Lutz removed the cover in This write up, but the battery requires considerably more to be taken off, I will have a look for some pictures on the PC as I have stripped a 910 down to component level previously - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought though, the 910 cannot be more than 2 years old as yet, even if it was purchased when the device first came out, so it should still be under waranty, a call to 0845 161 0009 might save you the hastle - Mike
Gary1a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
One other thought though, the 910 cannot be more than 2 years old as yet, even if it was purchased when the device first came out, so it should still be under waranty, a call to 0845 161 0009 might save you the hastle - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.
I bought the 910 as a refurb and it came with only a 1 year warranty (which of course ran out recently). I would much appreciate it though if you did have some pics etc to help me.

Thanks

Gary.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE - IF YOU GET THIS WRONG YOU COULD RUIN YOUR DEVICE, IF UNSURE OR IT LOOKS TOO DIFFICULT DON'T BOTHER

You will need a Torx bit number 6 for this job, start by removing the case, the four screws are located under the rubber pads on the devices base

The case "pod" simply removes leaving the device sat on the table

I remove the GPS Patch aerial for this as it makes the later stages a little easier, two torx number 6 screws and the daughter board will lift away from its multipole connector.

Four Torx number 6 screws secure the main board into position, remove these to release the PCB, disconnect the two plugs as shown in the picture below.

You can now move the PCB quite some distance, but it is still attached by the Mylar ribbon cables, DO NOT DISCONNECT THESE AS THEY ARE A REAL SWINE TO RE-CONNECT.
I only removed them to make it easier to photograph, and I know how to reassemble them - You have been warned

It is possible to get the PCB to such a position as shown below with the ribbons still attached, you can now remove the battery, see the remaining pictures as to what needs to be undone, remember I only took the main PCB off for the benefit of the pictures.

Two Torx number 6 screws secure the battery retainer bracket into position, remove the screws and retainer plate, this then releases the mount release plastic allowing full access to the battery.

The Battery is a tight fit and will take quite some force to prise it from the aluminium machined body of the 910, before you pull it out make a note of the position the wires exit the battery, you need to ensure the new batteries leads are in the same position or re-assembly will take you far longer than it should do.

Re-assembly is the reverse of how you took it to bits, don't forget the two small connectors that go to the main PCB as these can be easily missed - Mike
Gary1a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
That is absolutely excellent. Thanks for all your help.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Gary.
nbg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Gary, I'm not handy at all, so would bin it and buy a new unit Embarassed Laughing
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one of the many reasons why this site is so invaluable.

Nice one Mike Not Worthy

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could try these people http://www.satnav-shop.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=5
roland0800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: New battery tomtom 910 Reply with quote

I'd like to say thanks to Mike for the post re fitting a new battery to a tomtom 910. I found this post VERY helpfull. Very Happy Very Happy
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Mike that has got to be one of the best and easy to follow help articles i have seen on ANY site.
Brilliant.
flatlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for these great instructions without them I proberbly would have given up as i would not have even found the battery it hidden so well

I had it done within 15 minutes

The battery is tight in its carrier but with a bit of teasing from each end a bit a time it does come out

One again thanks for some great instructions

Don't take any notice of the ham fisted twit who broke his 910
Regards
Flatlander
flatlander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Thanks for these great instructions without them I proberbly would have given up as i would not have even found the battery it hidden so well

I had it done within 15 minutes

The battery is tight in its carrier but with a bit of teasing from each end a bit a time it does come out

One again thanks for some great instructions

Don't take any notice of the ham fisted twit who broke his 910
Regards
Flatlander
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you found it of use, although I susspect there are two different types of 910 chassis out in circulation, the early devices can have their batteries swapped out using this method, the later units have a different casting/ hard drive and must require the screen removing to get at the battery - I have never encountered one of these though to be 100% sure - Mike
Dmoblay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Battery Changed - Still wont charge Reply with quote

I ordered a new battery and have changed it over in the device. The battery had a small charge when it arrived so I powered up the device and it found a signal and all worked well.

But when I came to charge the 910 it still sits there on the dock with the green light on but isn't charging.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?

Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: