Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Police are to use a new Speed Gun
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Police are to use a new Speed Gun
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Police are to use a new Speed Gun Reply with quote

COPS are to use speed guns that can trap unwary drivers more than A MILE away.

The move provoked fury last night among motorists who already feel victimised.

They claimed the high-tech gadget was yet another sneaky way of making money from them.

The long-range ProLaser III uses laser and video technology to record offenders.

It is designed to foil people who slow down for conventional roadside cameras then accelerate afterwards.

ProLaser will zoom in on cars at a distance of 2,000 metres.

And the video quality is so good that it closes a loophole sometimes exploited by unscrupulous motorists.

Their faces will be recognisable so police can tell who was at the wheel.

Manufacturers of the ProLaser III boast: "Drivers simply don't have a chance".

The £8,000 cameras have the potential to raise millions for local safety partnerships which operate them and could lead to thousands of motorists losing their licences.

In 15 per cent of areas cops will not even have to put up warning signs.

Paul Smith, of campaign group Safe Speed, said: "We think speed cameras are making things more dangerous because drivers are looking for cameras not hazards."

"There is financial motivation for the safety partnerships because each year they increase their empire so each year they need more revenue to support the growth of their empires."

Edmund King, of the RAC Foundation, said: "There is a role for cameras if they target areas where accidents are happening."

"Where we do have a problem is where technology is replacing traffic police. "

Recent research from the Transport Department on the cause of accidents showed excessive speed was number seven in importance.

"Number one was inattention, which might be drivers looking out for speed cameras."

Dorset will be one of the first counties to introduce the ProLaser III next month.

But the local Police Federation was concerned the cameras would further erode public confidence in the force.

Clive Chamberlain, the organisation's Dorset representative, said: "One of our primary objectives should be to provide public reassurance by high visibility policing."

"I don't know how much an even more covert camera will do towards enhancing this objective."

The Dorset Safety Camera Partnership denied it was another money-spinning scheme and claimed it was designed to save lives.

Project manager Johnny Stephens said: "Our overriding priority is to reduce the number of casualties on Dorset's roads."

The cameras are made by Kansas-based Kustom Signals Inc.

The firm says the 3lb units are light enough for police to use with pinpoint accuracy and without becoming tired.

Ifa Trodd, managing director of UK distributors Traffic Safety Systems Ltd, said: "The ProLaser III represents the latest technology in laser speed detection technology and has a high performance."

Source: The Sun
bagmans911
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will further alienate an already disgruntled general public. Clearly the police and the government do not care about general opinion, speed accounts for only 7% of all deaths on our roads, but probably pays for our roads! Roll on the day the police ask me for any help!!!
I must search for a good laser detector!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmans911 wrote:
I must search for a good laser detector!!

I use a Bel 550 radar detector, which is one of the better radar detectors and it incorporates a laser detector. Trouble is that all a laser detector will do is tell you that you’ve been targeted and therefore done. What you really need is a good laser diffuser, e.g. the LRC100. Unfortunately I don’t know whether it’s effective against the ProLaser III.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
What you really need is a good laser diffuser, e.g. the LRC100.

Aren't they illegal?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

I think it’s still a grey area. If you’ve deliberately installed it to beat the laser guns then the police may try to “have you” but if you’ve got it to open an automatic garage door then it’s harder to prove.

You can’t transmit radio (i.e. radar) under one of the wireless acts, but there is currently no act (as far as I know) that deals with transmission of light (laser). The police may try to use the “obstructing a police officer” but a lot of the laser crews are civilians.

The above is just what I’ve picked up on other forums and websites so if you do install a laser diffuser then you do so at your own risk – don’t blame me! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Garry Platt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: My two Euros: Reply with quote

If you can't do the time don't do the crime. (more like 1 Euro really.)
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to see police be made accountable for the resons for some camera installation sights.There has been two camera's been put up recently by my house and there never been an accident that i can remember but is well known for cars speeding . Accident black spot ? No ,Extra income for the police ? Oh yes !
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bell laser detector mentioned earlier may actually stand a better chance against this type of system

1. If it is used at greater distance, the beam scatter is greater, therefore more chance of detection

2. If used as a handheld, it is subject to human motion, ie it takes marginally longer for them to get a good steady lock to confirm the speed, giving marginally more time to react to any warnings. Generally the police dont take the first reading, they like to confirm what a hardened criminal you are!

I know we are talking small margins here, but every edge helps!! I reckon the way we are going, it wont be long before roof mounted ECM pods become a manufacturer's optional extra
oisky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting on the fence... I think that if you break the speed limit, you can't complain about getting caught (yes, I regularly go over like everyone else - and risk being caught as well) But I also think that the money raised from cameras should go to charity! Maybe people wouldn't complain as much then?!?
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Laser Jammer Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

This should probably go in the 'For Sale/Wanted' forum, but seeing as it is relevant to this thread I thought I would mention it here.

I saw this on the UK Speed Traps Website:

Quote:
1 x LE850 Laser Jammer and control unit.
Very good condition, Can be seen working.
Next to impossiable to get hold of now and by far the best jammer ever made.
Selling for a friend of the UK Speedtrap Guide.

May consider throwing in free laser test. (£40)

Bids over £250, Closing date June 12th (Midday)

Email steve@ukspeedtraps.co.uk
Subject: Laser Jammer bid

That was a good idea of yours, Oisky, about the money going to charity! Thumbs Up

Regards,

Bo Peep.
legless
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could all try wearing Tony or 2 Jags masks. I'm sure Cherrie (?) wouldn't mind the income!!!
Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much of the original story is just media hype or speculation here. The ProlaserIII has been deployed and in use with Traffic units in 12 forces for nearly two years now and has none of the alledged photo/video capabilities. It is simply a handheld laser speed measurement unit little different to others in day to day use.

A 2000m range is not uncommon for these units although accurate targetting and measurement is difficult at this range even when mounted on tripods and so common practice is to identify potential targets and capture a speed reading when at closer range.

Typically, by the time you have seen the patrol car (with the passenger targetting you out of a window or door) or a van then if you were speeding to any extent you will have been captured before you have time to hit the brakes. Laser detetctors may receive some scatter from vehicels ahead giving you an opportunity to reduce your speed or you may have been initially targteeted at long range, get the alarm, hit the anchors and with luck have reduced your speed sufficiently for you to no longer be of any interest.

As for the LR100 laser diffusers, two cases have made it to court wth convictions in both cases. If you have one fitted and come to the attention of police as a result of them being unable to capture a speed measurement expect trouble, they now know the symptoms of a diffuser on their equipment and are out to prosecute Police
timtim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Smith, of campaign group Safe Speed, said: "We think speed cameras are making things more dangerous because drivers are looking for cameras not hazards."

Like many on this thread, I'm getting tired of people whinging about speed cameras being unfair. DON'T SPEED. To answer Mr Paul Smith - how can drivers being observant make things more dangerous???! If the drivers you speak of are so busy looking out for speed cameras, then don't you think they'll spot hazards as well? Stop it!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legless wrote:
We could all try wearing Tony or 2 Jags masks. I'm sure Cherrie (?) wouldn't mind the income!!!
Rolling Eyes

Ah, so you watch Columbo too. Only issue is you won't get a shaddow under your nose on a bright sunny day Wink

darren wrote:
A 2000m range is not uncommon for these units although accurate targetting and measurement is difficult at this range even when mounted on tripods and so common practice is to identify potential targets and capture a speed reading when at closer range.

I'm not sure if they use this on the M3/M25, but I frequently see an unmarked car and a policeman with a laser gun, heading north bound on the M3, and you think you haven't been caught, but about a mile down the road you're pulled over by a high performance unmarked police car which has been radioed and sits on the M25/M3 slip road and has a good run down to catch you. Last Wednesday I saw in the morning south bound M3, just after the M25 exit, 3 tripods covering each lane of the south bound traffic and a little further on a marked Volvo on the hard shoulder waiting to pull over the unsuspected people that had been caught.

I agree, people shouldn't speed, especially around built up areas, this is a no no, but on motorways I think speed limits should be raised. There are more accidents due to reckless and dangerous driving on motorways and accidents where people aren't looking at the road than speeding. Sure speeding could perhaps help a little and give people time to react but motorway speed limits could be raised to 80mph with harsher penalties if you go over this. I know I've dropped my speed over the past year, purely because I don't want to get any speeding offenses on my license. Insurance premiums are too high as it is.

The M3/M25 junction, the police quite happily sit on the M25 to catch M3 traffic and they have a good mile to a mile and a half visibility on both north and south bound. It will be interesting to see how many more police forces take on-board the Pro Laser III
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

self rightuous bigots make me laugh. Dont speed they cry, i will run round London naked if these people dont go over a limit everydayand if you say you dont then i will say you are a liar.
Like it or lump it WE ALL speed be it by 50mph or 1mph, it's no good saying -but i was only doing 31mph.
I wish that these people who say dont speed, then there is no problem, get busted a few times for being a tiny amount over the limit get banned and lose their income because they cant drive, i will say good bloody job and dont whinge to me.
Just remember cretins so you shall reap, what you sow.
No one says speeding is right, it's the way the revenue raising devices are used.
I spend all day on the road, as i have done for years and yes i speed, i would be a liar if i said i didn't but have i got points on my licence- NO, more by luck than judgement i would say.
Lastly speed is not the be all and end all of the carnage we see on our roads, there are many mitigating factors the most prolific is driver attitude, if the authorities could find a way to monitor this then we would all be off the road with a criminal record, oh dear what a nasty lot us humans are!!.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: