Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SATELLITE LOCKING PROBLEM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SATELLITE LOCKING PROBLEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: SATELLITE LOCKING PROBLEM Reply with quote

I've had a Garmin Nuvi 300 for almost a year now but for a while now I've had a satellite locking problem with it. I find if I turn the unit off after arriving at a destination, then travel either just a few miles or 20-30 miles; it can take almost 10mins to get a satellite postion even though I'm in a good reception area. Does it make a difference if I'm travelling at speed on the road or stationary?

After about 5 mins of searching it asks if I'm indoors, I saw 'no', then it asks 'have I travelled hundreds of km's since I last used it' - I've tried saying 'yes' and 'no' to this question but it doesn't seem to make any difference! It then asks me if it is displaying the coorect date, which it is. After it's asked these questions it either immediately gets a lock, or carries on searching for another few mins.

I updated the software recently but it used to do it before I did that but it does seem worse now. I was wondering if I should either try to reset the unit or revert to an earlier software version.

The 1 year warranty will be up in about 10 days (bought it from ASDA) so I'm wondering if I should try and get a replacement but I don't think the equivalent Garmin model available now has an MP3 player like this one has, which I use alot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Asda, I'd be on the phone to Garmin with just ten days of your warranty left.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does it make a difference if I'm travelling at speed on the road or stationary?

Yes it's harder for the unit to get an initial lock when moving.

I would try Clearing User Data , however this will wipe out some settings and user customisations. POIs are generally OK but favourites will be lost. Page 58 covers both a reset and Clearing User Data Click Here for Nuvi 3x0 User Manual

Once done, take the unit out into the open and give it a good long time (stationary) to get a lock. See how it goes from there.

Next step is try a Firmware downgrade. Note this will also wipe your Favourites and reset various settings back to factory default.
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
Does it make a difference if I'm travelling at speed on the road or stationary?

Yes it's harder for the unit to get an initial lock when moving.

I would try Clearing User Data , however this will wipe out some settings and user customisations. POIs are generally OK but favourites will be lost. Page 58 covers both a reset and Clearing User Data Click Here for Nuvi 3x0 User Manual

Once done, take the unit out into the open and give it a good long time (stationary) to get a lock. See how it goes from there.

Next step is try a Firmware downgrade. Note this will also wipe your Favourites and reset various settings back to factory default.

If I back up the POI file does this contain the favorites too?

Also, how do I do a firmware downgrade?

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I back up the POI file does this contain the favorites too?

No. This is one reason why it's better to use the Favourites as a temporary store for Favourites and to get them into a POI file.

Have a look for a file called Current.GPX in Garmin\GPX and copy that to your PC.

Quote:
Also, how do I do a firmware downgrade?

I doubt this will fix the problem as you stated it was happening before you updated. Try Clearing User Data then take the unit outside to somewhere it'll get a good clear view of the sky and give it some time to get a good signal. This can take a few minutes. After that re-enter all your settings and copy the Current.GPX file back. See how that goes first. Worked for my i3 once or twice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: