Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - probs with ver7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

probs with ver7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darthmill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: probs with ver7 Reply with quote

Just wondering if any one else has seen these probs.
1. Mapkeeps jumping around every couple of sec`s , it shows me in a field then puts me back on the raod.

2. the clock is going nuts , it`s ok on the pda but while in tom tom just skips through time like no ones bussiness.

Darthmill
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed As far as we know, TTN7 is only available (legally) on the HTC Diamond, German version. So if you've got a dodgy copy, you've got a dodgy copy, is all we can say - no offence intended, but we don't discuss dodgy stuff here.

If on the other hand you've been able to buy it from TomTom, a load of us here would love to hear how, so that we can buy one too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds as though either the gps is not getting a prpoer lock or the map may need reinstalling to the sd card

depending won which road your are on the maps own geocoding maybe out

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
bigbrowndog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: probs with ver7 Reply with quote

darthmill wrote:
Just wondering if any one else has seen these probs.
1. Mapkeeps jumping around every couple of sec`s , it shows me in a field then puts me back on the raod.

2. the clock is going nuts , it`s ok on the pda but while in tom tom just skips through time like no ones bussiness.

Darthmill

On my Ipaq HW6515 it suffers from the first problem you mention, not checked the second one, it is also very slow to get a lock from cold compared to V6 using the built in GPS.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed As far as we know, TTN7 is only available (legally) on the HTC Diamond, German version. So if you've got a dodgy copy, you've got a dodgy copy, is all we can say - no offence intended, but we don't discuss dodgy stuff here.

If on the other hand you've been able to buy it from TomTom, a load of us here would love to hear how, so that we can buy one too.

That's a bit harsh Dennis. Confused

My TT7 is indeed an extract from a German XDA Diamond - a bit of a grey are I admit. But...I bought the map for it LEGALLY from the TomTom web site and they were quite happy to sell it to me.

As for the problem reported....I have read elsewhere that using QuickGPS causes this and so should not be used.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic

Last edited by TheBrit on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey area indeed, but one that This page might explain Laughing but what shade of grey?

As for QGPS it isn't needed on a device that is used often, bin it and you will not suffer any ill effect by not using it (I stopped using this over a year ago, and will only use it these days if I am testing a device) - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrit wrote:
That's a bit harsh Dennis. Confused
Apologies for my delay in responding, email troubles. And apologies if I sounded harsh, because I didn't mean to, just saying we wouldn't like to be drawn into the debate because we oppose piracy. But it's a grey area, because TomTom's application software has always been free, you just pay for the maps. So on past performance, it's not been piracy to get a later version of the application from "somewhere".

However, this time, TT have only issued v7 in the ROM of the German Diamond, so it is logical to assume that's where they want it to stay and they'd take a dim view of anyone hacking it out. Nevertheless, I understand TTN6 owners have long been awaiting an improvement to TTN7 and TT have been questioned on it many times, including, I understand, by influential people from this website. All to stony silence!! Many people apparently forecast that TTN7 would be extracted from the Diamond ROM and that proved to be the case within days of the Diamond's release, so why TT are silent is beyond all comprehension. Only two weeks ago I joined "your" unhappy ranks, with the purchase of an HTC Advantage X7510, so I too await the horse's mouth response from TT. I had enough trauma getting the v675 map for my new device to want to avoid suffering any more, so the sooner they do issue TTN7, the happier I'll be.

Personally, I'm not willing to go for a cracked one. In the meantime, I've just ordered McGuider to give that a try.

Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll weigh in on a moral/ethical issue (always a bad idea) and offer this.

It seems that TomTom wants to get away from attempting to support the Navigator products on the vast array of available PDA's and Smartphones in the wild.

No worries there. I (reluctantly) empathize.

Instead they want to get HTC to fine tune Navigator to the intracacies of each HTC device (the physical buttons, ROM, etc.) and ship it pre-installed on the device. In this first case, it's the HTC Touch Diamond with TT7. In the future, hopefully TT/HTC will add other devices, maybe with TT8, but we'll see.

Going further, it seems that if people "extract" Navigator 7 from the HTC Touch Diamond, and in turn buy TomTom maps to run on it, then TomTom should be happy, i. e. gain revenue from maps and avoid burden for support. (I doubt that HTC pays TomTom to preload Navigator, but it if it does, that's a "lose" for TomTom, but it's got to be tiny).

In any cass, it is really only for TomTom to say it's ok to buy maps for a extracted software (and they haven't AFAIK). So, it's left to each individual, but I think TT is "whole."

I haven't used the extracted TT7 yet, but hope to, after I have a chance to read, re-read, and understand all the installation steps, and then get my courage up to slog through for my missteps.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was quite easy because the TT7 I have is a specific build for the Diamond and it's a Diamond I'm running it on. Also - TT have a Diamond specific Western Europe map for sale on thier web site - which is what I bought and all went very smoothly with TT Home detecting my device and that I'd paid for the map and it did the business.

As for the USA I really don't know how you are going to get on. Maybe a TT720 map would be suitable but might not install quite so easily.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote DennisN
Quote:
Personally, I'm not willing to go for a cracked one. In the meantime, I've just ordered McGuider to give that a try.

Dennis as you are a dedicated tomtom user I would apreciate if you would post your first impressions on Mcguider from a transition point of view, I very nearly took that that route but delayed due to various reservations as:
1) in view of tomtom taking over teleatlas and Mcguider also using teleatlas then their is possibly no benefit in upgraded maps, i can point out where Teleatlas is 5 yrs out of date and in one instance 8yrs out of date,
2) I use a 8gb card on my pda so I dont want a 2gb card with Mcguider, I know I can apparently change this by phoning teleatlas but what happens if i have a problem with my card i.e. corruption or otherwise can i reupdate or can i use my original 2gb card,
3) with tomtom now having control of teleatlas, the enduser and other manufactures are at the mercy of tomtom and the cards are stacked well and truly in the favout of Tomtom, so i am not surprised that users are going the pirate route, I would certainly prefer the legal route if i had control over my purchase but would have no hesitation in going the other route if i come across it.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Personally, I'm not willing to go for a cracked one.
I wouldn't put this in the category of being 'cracked' - it's just the CAB file extracted from the German XDA Diamond rom. It's unchanged in every other respect.

As has been pointed in the other TT7 PDA thread - TomTom are probably quite happy about the revenue that has absolutely no support obligations.

I have to say that I'm not that happy with TomTom's approach and are treating loyal customers rather badly. They should just let people buy the flippin product. They will be legally covered if they specifically list what devices they have tested it on and make it abundantly clear that anyone else is 'at thier own risk'

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Dennis as you are a dedicated tomtom user I would apreciate if you would post your first impressions on Mcguider from a transition point of view
Here's a few comments - I need to do so now as I'm about to depart on happy hols and won't be able to add anything for some time.

I ran it home (Keynsham, near Bristol) from Minehead today and wanted to avoid the long way round, simply because I know that it only costs me maybe 5 minutes, but over 20 miles - that's a couple of quid.

I can do this easily enough on the TomToms (920 and 720 running alongside it) by selecting alternative, then avoid whatever road is significant. In this case, I need to avoid the M4, the A4 and the A369, so it takes three avoids on TT.

With McGuider I couldn't find any way to do the same. Bearing in mind I was driving and wanted to get home, not burrow into the depths of the system, the best I could get was "Calculate Alternative", which was equally unsatisfactory. Another Calc Alt gave yet another route, again unsatisfactory. So I decided to just let it recalculate when I wandered off its route. My impression grew that it simply did not want to recalculate but insisted on "Turn Around" and/or turn left/right in order to get back to the planned route - it seemed very firmly committed to that policy, not willing at all to recalculate like the TTs were doing.

I have it mounted just forward and to the right of my steering wheel - fully extend my arm and first finger to tap it. The menus are too small for me to read easily and quickly. The display is also too small to read the speed, distance, etc. This may be because I'm running it on a HTC Advantage with an enormous screen, 640x480 and the display settings may need to be adjusted, or perhaps it's not expecting that size? I'm also running it in Landscape mode (making icons in menus and on the status bar quite widely spread) and I get the feeling it was designed for PDAs running in portrait mode?

The Status bar choices are fewer than I prefer and seem to be often "Either/Or". For example you can only have one time - current time, ETA or time remaining, compared with TT which allows all three. Same with distance, distance to go or distance travelled.

Going through a bunch of settings, I had two complaints. The Done button often switched from bottom right to bottom left instead of remaining consistent (despite there being no other option occupying the other corner). There was no Back button in some menus - make a choice and hit Done to go to next screen - if you think you might have preferred a different previous choice, you can't go back to change it and must continue through this set of settings and then start them again.

It has a cute direction arrow which I couldn't see any way of customising. It points at your destination, so as you travel through an arc, it swings to stay pointing at the destination. It's quite small and moves in a circle round the outside of the screen.

Speed limit display is constant, a small roundel speed limit sign at about 2 o' clock. I found it too small and easily missed amongst the constantly changing map display around it.

That's my lot for now. Not very complimentary, so I must emphasise it's based on very little usage (I have a free trial TomTom Traffic GPRS, so I'm using that up before doing a thorough go with McGuider). I have not delved deep or given it a fair trial at this stage, so take my comments with caution.

aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments are much apreciated Dennis, although I can see they are made against the 7/920 I am thinking of the PDA users migrating from TTN6 wheras the problem with recalculating when off route also happens on ttn6 until you get on a road it knows your not turning around, but otherwise still very usefull, I myself am trying to hold off until Teleatlas itself get their maps more uptodate, and your comments are very chenompresive and appreciated.
V6mikey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a Diamond with TTN7 and the new maps from tomtom.

I have a question for anybody else running the new maps, have you eperienced a slow down of route calculation with the 720 maps?

I have both the 675 and 720 maps of western europe installed. The 675 maps are fine, they plan the route at normal speed, but the 720 maps are so slow at route planning. I am talking about a route that is not just a couple of miles but maybe 200 miles. The 720 maps take about 4 times as long as the 675 maps to plan the route.

Then if you go off the route it can then take ages to re calculate the route.

Anybody any ideas?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V6mikey wrote:
I have both the 675 and 720 maps of western europe installed. The 675 maps are fine, they plan the route at normal speed, but the 720 maps are so slow at route planning.

How have you managed to get TTN7 to read version 6 maps. As far as I know they are not compatable. Or have I been misinformed?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: