Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one V4, is there a wide version ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one V4, is there a wide version ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Tomtom one V4, is there a wide version ?? Reply with quote

I'm just about to update my original TT1 with the version four. I've decided not to go with the traffic version since it requires addtional fitment of antenna and possibly subscription ? (perhaps you can advise on that) but I'd be keen to know if they do a wide version of the v4 (I want the V4 because of the built in - pop out mount)

I'm aware of the range on the TT website that is called XL, but it seems to use the old seperate mount and not the built in one ?

many thanks for the advice

Paul.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "New" XL (sometimes called XL V2 or 330) has the same mount as the One "V4" - it came out at the same time. When buying on-line it's worth remembering that some sites may be selling the new version but just haven't updated the images on the site. Check first if this is the case.

Traffic comes in two flavours at present. The "T" versions of the range come with an RDS-TMC receiver that plugs into the satnav and receives traffic from a radio signal. There is no extra cost for this and the antennae is available separately. Alternatively, it can use your mobile to receive the info - this does have a subscription cost and possibly data usage depending on your mobile contract.

I have the antennae but haven't used it that much so I'm not in a position to give an opinion to it's worth.
Brodit ProClip mount
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the detailed advice, If the traffic antenna can be added afterwards then I'll initially just go for the unit (I've never found a real need for the traffic function, but maybe I'll be considering it when I'm sat in a major motorway traffic jam !)
The only thing I couldn't obviously decide afterward is the option of the larger screen.......... again, I have to say that I've never had a problem with the standard screen
A guy I know used to work at comet and says I should go for the wider screen, do you think they're worth it ??

I know that improvements have been made to the on-screen keyboard even for the standard screen models since I bought my v1 TTone

I hate decisions........but don't like to make wrong ones !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger screen is much better in use, but not actually required. Take a trip down to your local vendor and try the different devices out, see what you are happy with - if you ask they will put the devices in your car for comparison if they are a decent shop - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
The "New" XL (sometimes called XL V2 or 330)

Also known as the "XL 22" and "XL 30 series" (both these are on TomTom's own website).
No wonder the retailers get confused!

Be careful, I was in a branch of PC World the other day and noticed they had all the flavours of One, One XL, and XL all jumbled up and even the display models had the wrong descriptions on them.

Also, are you aware the new versions have no SD card slot, so storage space is limited, especially on the regional versions?
carpetpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What issues might the lack of storage space cause me, I've never really added many points of interest or favourites to the tomtom that I've got ?

It's most likely at the moment that I'm going to go for the TTOne V4 (standard screen) GB only and non traffic...... just the basic one.

Paul
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the option of extra storage space, you won't be able to use a Europe map etc on the V4. If this is not an issue for you, fair enough. At least you are finding out the facts you need before going out and buying it.

By the way, if the stock is on the wrong hooks in PCWorld, Currys etc it's worth pressing to get it at the marked price. I got £10 off the TMC antennae because they were on a hook for cases. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
bosky
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit Mike Alder, this post was SPAM, the same user has four different accounts with different usernames and all posts made are simply containing some advertising blurb and a link to the same site, other posts have been removed, but this one needed to be edited otherwise AndyP's answer below wouldn't have made sense - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bosky, but that link just takes you to the pricealerter.com homepage. (and it is a US site, priced in dollars)

Also, from your quote, they don't appear to know that the new model is not actually called a "ONE XL"... it is just the "XL" (unless THAT'S different in the US too!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: