Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap release v1.2 System Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap release v1.2 System Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I dont understand J-k

is that i presume you wouldn't venture out without the map as a back up
in case the unit failed.
So if thats the case why should it be different IF indeed the unit failed;
the time clock is then NOT available and one is left with using ones watch or just winging it as far as current time is concerned

My viewpoint is that I would be concerned IF the map was way 'off' true position. The clock thing is a minor detail - a watch will show time.

I dont mind reading about problems BUT i feel that your posting thread
is leading up a dead end.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
Probably my last words on this subject here:

From SatMap's technical specification:

Full GPS functionality (real time clock, logging waypoints, time etc)

From Webopedia.com (other encyclopaedia sites are available):

A clock that keeps track of the time even when the computer is turned off. Real-time clocks run on a special battery that is not connected to the normal power supply. In contrast, clocks that are not real-time do not function when the computer is off.

So does the SatMap meet its technical specification by actually having a working real time clock as it is advertised as having? If you agree that it doesn't then the device is not as specified. This is simply solved by making this a settable option. There are times when the battery life is more important, at other times the correct time is more important. Argue against that and your argument is purely for argument's sake!

Oh for god's sake....first off I doubt a real 'real time clock' is simply solved as it usually takes a dedicated chip and independent power source.

Secondly it lists real time clock as being an example of a a feature of full GPS functionality. I take that to mean it will tell me the time when I'm using it....and that's what it does. Although Satmap have decribed that PDF you quote as a technical specification it's really only a feature overview...it doesn't even list the dimensions of the unit and 'Day/Night functionality and 'etc' is hardly technical or a detail of specification.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonoftheabove wrote:
What I dont understand J-k

is that i presume you wouldn't venture out without the map as a back up
in case the unit failed.

So far I've mainly just taken it with me for a ride to see where I've been and maybe narrow down where I am if I am uncertain. I may or may not take a map with me depending on what I am doing, I certainly don't always venture out with one, I'm not that paranoid and can usually work out which is North and South without a map.

I don't know why some cannot take criticism of something in the manner it is intended. All I think it ought to have is the option to work optionally as specified when something has been changed. Other power saving aspects have been kept as an option so why not that one? And oh, that spec may be the original spec but it is still the one obtained if downloaded today from the SatMap site. I certainly seem to have got some of you worked up as though I am knocking the SatMap. Where on earth have I knocked it? You are all following each other like sheep with criticism of my comment that it doesn't work as specified. I still maintain that users could get an incorrect time check from it causing them to make a dangerous decision based on that info. At least those who read this thread will be forewarned. It would be better if SatMap made it perfectly clear that it only shows the correct time once it is receiving GPS data as saying it has a real time clock is misleading.... I am not knocking it however..... Sorry if some think I'm being stupid worrying over such a triviality, I'm just pleased it won't be you that gets mislead as you will now be aware of the potential for getting an inaccurate time check from it. That's responsibility not stupidity.

robs1972 wrote:
first off I doubt a real 'real time clock' is simply solved as it usually takes a dedicated chip and independent power source.

It does have one and was running on early releases of SatMap firmware, but is presently switched off to save battery power. I feel this wouldn't cause a dramatic drain on the Li-Pol power source though so there should be an option for it to be set to on. But you needn't turn it on if you don't want to!!

robs1972 wrote:
Secondly it lists real time clock as being an example of a a feature of full GPS functionality. I take that to mean it will tell me the time when I'm using it....and that's what it does.

Yes, but not if you've just turned it on. So therefore be careful, you could get caught out.

Georgie_Clo wrote:
It IS a pity that a vocal few for whatever reasons, prefer to knock the product on this forum.....

If others find new issues with it should their findings not be mentioned here in case it puts off potential purchasers? I could have been put off by reports of lockups, slow acquisition, etc. but wasn't. I presume you wish that all the posts that mention anything negative towards the device should be banned and deleted accordingly. Full censorship being the preferred order of the day?!

ocam wrote:
Criticisms should be constructive, not only in content but also in tone, in an effort to encourage the company to improve - a win/win scenario. Complaints should be referred to the retailer.

Surely suggesting the real time clock be optionally left running is a constructive solution? How would you have 'toned' that critiscm to make it more encouraging? Most retailers would not have a clue so even if you are technically right regarding that it would often be a waste of effort going down that line. They'll say 'Yes' and forget about it! You will note that I did say I'd emailed SatMap about it but given my thoughts on the potential danger of getting an incorrect time check thought it most appropriate to post here accordingly to warn of this finding. Sorry if that dismays some of you, I must remember to say what a wonderful feature it is that it doesn't always show the right time!

Are some of you being paid by SatMap to jump on critiscms?
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am confused.

When I first switch on my Satmap it shows me as being somewhere near Leicester (Full GB South)

If I was totally bewildered I could be on a train home before I realised.

Seriously, I think it is time we let this one drop. The Active 10 is at it's heart a Windows device. It does not have a clock like other GPSs or PCs. The only way it can keep the time is to keep the processor running hence the constant battery drain. I saw on this forum that someone had measured it as high as 30mAh. This would soon deplete a set of batteries.

Can we please get back to reporting actual bugs and issues with the new release? I think we need to gain the respect of Satmap, and this forum contribute to the future shape of the device.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I am confused.

When I first switch on my Satmap it shows me as being somewhere near Leicester (Full GB South)

If I was totally bewildered I could be on a train home before I realised.

Seriously, I think it is time we let this one drop. The Active 10 is at it's heart a Windows device. It does not have a clock like other GPSs or PCs. The only way it can keep the time is to keep the processor running hence the constant battery drain. I saw on this forum that someone had measured it as high as 30mAh. This would soon deplete a set of batteries.

Can we please get back to reporting actual bugs and issues with the new release? I think we need to gain the respect of Satmap, and this forum contribute to the future shape of the device.

How much have Satmap paid you to spout all that mumbo jumbo? Laughing
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, nothing, though I do really need a job, having just been made redundant!

My work has to be its own reward.
For what it's worth, I did email Satmap this afternoon with three fundamental bugs missed by the Beta testers and everyone else who used the beta version.

[In passing, the times shown on this forum are not right either!]
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

[In passing, the times shown on this forum are not right either!]

Change the Timezone in your profile

kidstypike
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:

So far I've mainly just taken it with me for a ride to see where I've been and maybe narrow down where I am if I am uncertain. I may or may not take a map with me depending on what I am doing, I certainly don't always venture out with one, I'm not that paranoid and can usually work out which is North and South without a map...

It would be better if SatMap made it perfectly clear that it only shows the correct time once it is receiving GPS data as saying it has a real time clock is misleading.... I am not knocking it however...

Surely suggesting the real time clock be optionally left running is a constructive solution? How would you have 'toned' that critiscm to make it more encouraging? Most retailers would not have a clue so even if you are technically right regarding that it would often be a waste of effort going down that line..... I must remember to say what a wonderful feature it is that it doesn't always show the right time!....Are some of you being paid by SatMap to jump on critiscms?

(Sorry, can't sort out multiple quotes.)

Taking the 3 paras above in turn:
1. Do you really mean this? You run the risk of becoming a statistic!

2. Page 2 of the full user guide has the following;
GPS works by measuring your location relative to four or more satellites simultaneously. Knowing the exact location of the satellites, the receiver (Active 10) can determine its latitude, longitude and height whilst at the same time synchronizing its clock with the satellites' atomic clocks.

Seems reasonable enough to me.

3. The suggestion as stated here is fair enough but that is hardly how you have 'toned' your entries eg
J-K wrote:
Supposing you have dropped or damaged your watch and now relying on the GPS for a time check. Just tough I guess with v1.20...you'll never really be certain if it is showing the right time or not.

There are a million ifs and maybes. Lets keep relevant. The clock works just fine, as described in their literature.
In the outdoors we should always wear a watch and always take a paper map as back-up.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
The start up point for each map is stored within the map data and cannot be changed - I did try to alter this a while back and it refused to open the map! - Once the GPS signal is acquired the device will go to current position - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
Supposing you have dropped or damaged your watch and now relying on the GPS for a time check. Just tough I guess with v1.20...you'll never really be certain if it is showing the right time or not.

Laughing

If I damaged my watch... Laughing ....I'd look at the clock on my iPod...or mobile phone....or camera...or if all those were damaged by my dropping my watch on them I'd listen to Radio 5 on my personal radio until they gave a time check....but if aliens had abducted my radio then I'd simply load version 1.03 from the SD card that I have in my camera pouch....but if all that failed I'd say 'oh well, the time is not that important anyway, it's my day off'.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The start up point for each map is stored within the map data and cannot be changed - I did try to alter this a while back and it refused to open the map! - Once the GPS signal is acquired the device will go to current position - Mike

Mike, thanks for taking the trouble to post.

I did already know that.

What I was attempting to do (in a light hearted manner, as it was all becoming too serious), was to make the point that there is no difference between the map showing Leicester at switch on and the clock showing 3:30 am or whatever. We all know that is how it is, accept it and deal with it. After a few minutes it shows the correct location and the correct time. no big deal.

The ability to "park" the map at a specific location would be a nice liitle extra, but there are bigger issues to resolve first
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I am confused.

Press Cancel--Map rather than ViewMap and it will show your last known point rather than Leicester. I agree that could be improved.

I wish to point out that it is generally considered that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:

I wish to point out that it is generally considered that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

According to Wikipedia:
Sarcasm is most often used in a humorous manner, but can also express annoyance or anger.
It is often used as proxy to other forms of expression. For example, instead of becoming angry and yelling at someone in a conflict, a person might choose to use sarcasm as an alternative.

I am not paid by Satmap either.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I am beginning to get disgusted at the general demeanour of some users of this forum. I suggested there should be an option to put things back the way a device is advertised and get hurled with abuse because of it. I've not even suggested that your preferred option is done away with, I just usually would prefer it to be the way it was originally (then maybe not always). So sorry that causes such offence. Can we not agree that both ways have their merits and stop this ridiculous feud?

If you spotted something not to your liking with a device and posted your thoughts and possible dangers because of it, how would you like to be hurled with abuse and sarcastic comments because of it? These copycat comments have been totally non-constructive and appear to have been designed to cause flaming and restating of the issue. I have always been under the impression that users are allowed to state their views and expect some sort of civility whether or not you agree with those views. This isn't the school playground after all.

The way it looks to me is that if some here decided to buy a car advertised with four doors and it only came with two it seems that some would see this as a bonus if the maker claimed it was a fuel saving measure and you would thank the manufacturer profusely because of it. For goodness sake of course you wouldn't. If something isn't to spec you point the matter out and try and get it resolved to everyone's satisfaction. Same here.

I truly do hope that no one gets caught out by my concerns but you've only yourselves to blame if you do.

Phew.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: