Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ROAD ANGEL DATABASE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ROAD ANGEL DATABASE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: ROAD ANGEL DATABASE Reply with quote

Anyone have ideas as to if RoadAngel's database is still the most comprehensive and up to date or are others such as pocketgpsworld more comprehensive?
neilrobi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39181&highlight=
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ROAD ANGEL DATABASE Reply with quote

Chris_UK wrote:
Anyone have ideas as to if RoadAngel's database is still the most comprehensive and up to date or are others such as pocketgpsworld more comprehensive?

In my experience Roadangel is by far the most accurate database. It hasn't given me a false warning of missed a camera in 60K miles of driving
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: ROAD ANGEL DATABASE Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Chris_UK wrote:

In my experience Roadangel is by far the most accurate database. It hasn't given me a false warning of missed a camera in 60K miles of driving

not the experience of 'neilrobi': http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39181&highlight=

MaFt
OrangeJuice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just ditched my RoadAngel... was never alerted to any temporary mobile cameras and it didnt have any specs warning. They never told you when the database was changed/or in what way so ended up feeling it was a total waste of time.
jeff4066
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just bought a Road angel Plus and so pleased. I had a Origin B2 but they wanted £40 to fix it as I lost the sound on it and then another £50 for the annual update so I ditched it. I have covered about 700 miles in various places across the UK this week and found the database much better than the Origin b2 by a long way. I like the fact it has all the camera van sites and and as I travel around so much I thought I knew where most of them were but this really saved me this week.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OrangeJuice wrote:
I've just ditched my RoadAngel... was never alerted to any temporary mobile cameras and it didnt have any specs warning. They never told you when the database was changed/or in what way so ended up feeling it was a total waste of time.

Serious??? My Road Angel Compact always alerts me of Specs (and always has done as they are fixed). Mobile is a different matter. TBH I normally ignore the PGPSW mobile alerts as they are too frequent (fair play I have them set to alert all (within a radius) rather than on route). They never tell you when the database is updated (nor does PGPSW) unless you check (update for Road Angel or go to website for PGPSW). You would probably see it as a spam anyway and be complaining about 'too many emails about updates' ;)

The Road Angel has definitely not been a waste of time tbh. Neither has the PGPSW database. I use both. Safe rather than sorry. Still got 6 points though Sad
silverblack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just sold my Road Angel Plus.It was taking far to long to lock onto to the sat and display the speed upto 20 mins.If you dont renew the subs you get a message on screen telling you of this and the unit wont work until you press a button on the unit.Meaning the motion sensor is a waste of time.£50 a year is extortionate when you can get a Novus with free updates for life.
truckin_man78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: hgv software? Reply with quote

can you download any maps for hgv as my road angel takes me down low bridges and dont have a lot of industrul sites on feal like lobing it out the windo Twisted Evil thanks scott
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got rid of my road angel, only really used it as a laser detector to be truthful as many roadworks were never there and when i purchased a talex i ran them side by side and got rid of the one which was the least accurate, still using the same device 2 years on.
shaunieF
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Road Angel Database Reply with quote

I ran a Road Angel Compact for about 2 months and found the mobile alerts completely irrelevant. I was getting alerted to almost every motorway bridge as a potential trap which is cleary a waste of time. I also found in that time they were slow in adding temporary cameras in roadworks. A friend of mine swears by his Snooper so I purchased the Sapphire - now only £99 so much cheaper and I think it is far better. Its smaller, slimmer has better graphics and the mobile alerts seem more accurate. There are a lot less of them so you tend to take more notice of them. The fixed database seems perfect. It hasn't missed one and gives good clear information of each one. It is also much easier to download than the Road Angel so many plusses all round.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
They never tell you when the database is updated (nor does PGPSW) unless you check (update for Road Angel or go to website for PGPSW).

That's quite untrue! You can subscribe to the announcement thread to receive an email when updated, subscribe to the Newsletter where we also announce updates, subscribe to the .RSS feed or monitor the site. Apart from knocking on your door to tell you what more do you suggest?
rwsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Road Angel Plus (DB updated very recently) still does not warn of the average speed cameras on the A14 north of Cambridge, which have been active for more than a year. They are pretty obvious, but it's pathetic that the DB is so out of date. And no, it isn't good on mobile sites, either. I have never seen a mobile cam on a site it warned about, but plenty at places it didn't.

And they charge a subscription for this. I wouldn't recommend them. I've had better experiences with the speedcam DB downloaded from this site (in CoPilot), though it overwarns about mobile sites.
silverblack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the pocketgps database not be used on the road angel ?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverblack wrote:
Can the pocketgps database not be used on the road angel ?

no, sorry.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: