Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'd appreciate your input, replacing a sat nav.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'd appreciate your input, replacing a sat nav.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: I'd appreciate your input, replacing a sat nav. Reply with quote

About 4 years ago I bought the TTG classic, last month it died.
Tomtom messed me about saying they would fix it for nothing but then decided once they had it that it would cost £100 to fix. Uneconomical.

So I decided to buy a replacement but it seems that they have been adding features and dumbing down others.

My original TTG was hardwired (by my own hand) to my car stereo.
Audio left and right and most importantly...MUTE.

I started looking at new TTG's but some don't have dock connections from what I could see. The *10 series looked promising but they decided to be "clever" with the dock making mute inaccessible without a bit of messing about.

So what I am looking for is a Sat Nav, dock connector with audio out, a mute pin, preferably widescreen with bluetooth calling for my phone.
I'm not dead set on a Tomtom device but it's all I know.

Any thoughts? Cheers.
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a GPS from a company with any after sales service don't buy a tomtom........
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a device to perform the Mute function is going to be very difficult these days, TomTom did have a Bluetooth Car Connect device on their web site for a while that offered such a connection for the x10 but it was dropped for some reason and never saw the light of day, whether this would have worked with the later devices we will never know.

What the newer units do offer is a built in MP3 player and 3,5MM audio output socket, so you can install music of your choice to the device (SD card if required for extra capacity) and it will mute the music while issuing direction, also they have the option to transmit the audio output over the FM frequency band negating any wired connection (just tune the radio to the same frequency as set for the TT output). Phone calls sadly only come through the built in speaker, there is no way to route the audio out for a phone call.

The best method for connection of the TT Audio output is to use Bluetooth, this requires a BT compatible car deck, these can be costly but I use an LG device that works with the x20/ x30 units fine, it cost £129 great for mp3 playback and instructions, but the phone audio is still from the inbuilt speaker - to be honest I seldom use the TT for hands free these days - Mike
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scubaalan - I'd rather not deal with any company aftersales, I'd rather it just didn't break in the first place.

MikeAlder - I'd rather not resort to having to use my sat nav every time I wanted to listen to music, I don't know why companies have to insist on making their products do everything badly instead of doing 1 thing well.

As for FM transmitters, not if it was the last option on earth Laughing

I have a decent hard drive music player in my car so I'm ok on that front.

I just can't believe that these companies retard their products more and more. Give us the basic pins and we'll sort ourselves out.

Looks like I'll have to get another TTG classic and keep looking for a sat nav with audio out and a mute pin. That really is basic specs but they can't even do that!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look for a Voice Activated Gate Device that would provide the mute function to you stereo, they are available and will work but again they are far from cheap - I guess maket demands dictated the demise of the mute funtion via a hardwired connection although it would be handy - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have now posted a duplicate post in the Beginners GPS Forum I'll lock this one. All future recommendations and questions can be made here

Thread locked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: