Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement for Mio 168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement for Mio 168

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Replacement for Mio 168 Reply with quote

After holding it together for the last few months, my trusty Mio 168 has stopped charging Sad

So I am now in the market for a replacement, and struggling to find something that ticks all the boxes. Basically I want something as similar as possible to the Mio in terms of functionality, ie:

1. PocketPC (possibly smartphone?) - I use Mapopolis, Maptech marine charts and Memorymap OS maps
2. Built in GPS
3. Active car mount (Brodit or similar)
4. Preferably same screen size as Mio 168 or bigger

I like the look of the Asus Mypal A6** series but don't think an active mount is available?

The other possibility is the HP 615c smartphone, but I am concerned the screen is a bit small, and I may not be able to map the hardware keys in the same way as I do on the Mio?

Other than that, HTC seem to offer some possibilities?

Cheers

Chris
PocketGPS speed camera database
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could replace the Mio168 battery.

If you do a Google search for:

Mio 168 replacement battery

Lots are available.

A good price HERE (opens in a new window).
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
You could replace the Mio168 battery.

Unfortunately I don't think it is the battery, it is the charging connection. The connector started to come apart ages ago - I managed to repair it a number of times but the last fix involved potting the back of the connector which has lasted best part of a year but has left further repairs pretty much impossible.

Cheers

Chris
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the look of the Asus Mypal A6** series but don't think an active mount is available?

Correct I have not found an active mount, but it uses a standard mini usb connector which seems a lot more secure than the mio168, so I am hoping to modify using a smartphone acti9ve mount i bought on fleabay for .99p, IMHO The A696 is the nearest you will get to the Mio168 but far advanced in that it adds Wifi,Bluetooth and win6 and also is the only one i found with 4 configerable buttons, so far I am impressed with it, trying to get used to the power supply socket being on the left hand side tho, I personally wouldnt bother spending any money on the Mio because with mine although gave good service for that past 2 yrs or so and still working well its a bit outdated now and my buttons have lost thier feel and one is sticking, the asus is also faster and will take a 16gb card, very usefull. hope this helps.
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The active mount for the HP 614c won me over in the end, with the fact that it is a phone as well a bonus. Overall I am very pleased with it, just need to spend a bit of time playing with it and getting it to work the way that I want.

Cheers

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: