Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go700 voice alert problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go700 voice alert problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: tomtom go700 voice alert problem Reply with quote

hi,i have installed pwgps speedzoned cameras to my ttgo700,however the voice camera alerts will not install.i think the problem is that i have a modified data.chk and the forum suggests that this could be why the voice alerts wont work.apparently i need to re-install the tomtom application and all will be well.however the new tomtom home backup only saves the last backup,so i dont have the original.where can?and how?do i find the application?or am i totally wrong here?thanks,ALLEN.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, what applicaion version have you got installed on the device? you can fnd this by tapping the sat strength meter and it will be displayed in a small box on the right side of the display.

We no longer suport the moddified data.chk file but this shouldn't prevent a set of the ogg files from being installed and used on your device, have you tried installing these and configuring the warn when near POI option for the camera POI files, you will be able to use spoken alerts with the database, it probably just needs the correct file set installing and configuring - Mike
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mike,version is 7.162.i have tried to the letter to install voice alerts,but am still prompted to "select warning sound".the 3 files are present ie.bmp-ogg-ov2.thanks,ALLEN.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are absolutely convinced you are following the instructions to the letter and it is still not working for you, try "method B".

The v7 and above TT software allows another very easy way to add your own sounds or voices for POI warnings etc.

If you explore the TT with Windows Explorer, you should find an empty folder called "sounds" (if not, you can just create one).

Any .wav or .ogg format sound files you put in here, will show up on the same page as the usual Sound Effects such as "Bell1", "Cow" etc.
You can also put folders of your sounds in there and they will show up as clickable folders.

Ogg files are to be preferred, as they are much smaller than wavs (You can use the free sound editor "Audacity" to convert .wavs to .oggs).

Note that wav files can be 11025kHz or 16kHz sample rate but MUST be 16 bit. 8 bit samples will SHOW on the page but cannot be played.

So, you can just put the pocketGPS ogg files in the sounds folder and select them (and preview them) in the normal way, like any of the built-in sound effects.

The only problem here is that the naming convention that PGPSW use puts their name AT THE FRONT of the filename and the bit that says which file it is, Gatso 30" , SPECS 50" etc at the END.

When you see the files on the sound effects page, only the first 10 or so characters of the name get shown, so they will all just show "PocketGPSWo...". Either use the 'preview' button to hear them first and work out what order they are in, or rename the files when you put them in the sounds folder to lose the front off each filename.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: ttgo voice alert problem Reply with quote

hi andy,will try this tommorrow.will the sounds still be listed as"bell"-"bugle"etc?i,ll let you know the outcome.cheers,ALLEN.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: ttgo voice alert problem Reply with quote

ALLENUAM wrote:
hi andy,will try this tommorrow.will the sounds still be listed as"bell"-"bugle"etc?i,ll let you know the outcome.cheers,ALLEN.

No, all the original sounds will still be there, your ones in the "sounds" folder will be added to that page (you can even leave them in folders and those folders will be selectable.

May I also suggest that as you are no longer using it, you make sure you DON'T have a modified data.chk. If you update or reinstall the operating software, you should get the correct one for your software version.

P.S. Did you know there's a section of this forum specially for TomTom questions? You might get quicker/better answers there. Smile
TomTom Section
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy,installed voices to sounds folder,although when i explore sounds folder it is empty?when configuring sounds to manage poi,s i got a lot of "bugle "with no other options,i clicked "yes".this only happened on uk cameras,so am i right in assuming that euro cameras will be configured with a normal "GATSO" warning?i work 50 miles away,so i,ll try it tommorrow.cheers,ALLEN.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLENUAM wrote:
hi mike,version is 7.162.i have tried to the letter to install voice alerts,but am still prompted to "select warning sound".the 3 files are present ie.bmp-ogg-ov2.thanks,ALLEN.

Apologies for jumping back two days, but did you follow to the letter the part in the instructions where it tells you that when the TomTom asks "Is this the sound you want to use?" you must answer YES even though you don't hear any sound?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dennis ,just clicked on YES,but still got all the "old data.chk" options for the majority of alerts,mostly euro cameras.sorry to be a pain but we recently moved back to the uk from france,and still travel there frequently.as long as there is some kind of alert for french cameras i,m happy.just be nice to have all the bells& whistles for the uk.EXCEPT THE TOMTOM ONES.regards,ALLEN.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you've just gotta be doing something wrong - I no longer have a 700, but it always behaved perfectly for me. Have you considered starting all over again with deleting all the cameras and downloading them and the warnings again? Use Windows Explorer and delete everything starting with "pocketgps"

Incidentally, just remembered I had this sort of problem the other day and I found it was because I had a rogue camera file called something like pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba - there weren't bmp and ogg files matching it and for some reason, it trashed everything and I went looping round like chasing my own tail. That sort of thing encourages swearing! Took a LOT of finding, because I was convinced I had three of everything.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit confused as to what you've done...
You say "hi andy,installed voices to sounds folder,although when i explore sounds folder it is empty?" which doesn't really make sense to me!
You don't "install" the sounds, you just copy them into that folder with Explorer, which by definition menas the folder won't be empty.

From the rest of your posts, it sounds like the modified data.chk is confusing matters too. As you don't need it, you really should go back to the PROPER data.chk for your software version (it was different for every one!). If you haven't got it on a backup, the best way would be to re-download the system software - the data.chk will come with it.
ALLENUAM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dennis,hi andy,almost every thing seems sorted,i am getting spoken camera warnings now,except for 1 camera which still has the "old" warning.i will check the sounds folder again later.thanks for your replies and help.i will let you know what i find later.thanks ALLEN.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the gas advert said - Don't you just LOVE it when it does that? I'm talking "fixes itself mysteriously", as opposed to a description of what steps were taken in order to fixit! GRRRR!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: