Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq 214 compatabily
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 214 compatabily

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sly13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: ipaq 214 compatabily Reply with quote

can anyone tell me which gps receiver is compatible with my ipaq 214 enterprise.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, please dont post multiple requests of the same question througout the forum, it tends to fragment answers.

What do you want the device to do, on road navigation, off road, Walking etc as these can have a bearing on the receiver although any SiRF-III or modern MTK unit be more than adequate for these roles.

Do you have any maping software to use the device with? - Mike
semmyroundel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Ipaq compatibility Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm also new to this and a little wiser after dipping my toes in the water...
I thought that a GPS and a Satnav were one and the same, I have an Ipaq 214 and was considering getting a receiver and TomTom software for it (I believe the compatible one is Navigator 6).
I then considered that I wouldn't mind using the GPS on my motorbike or indeed doing a bit of Geocaching, so I bought a Colorado 300. Now I don't mind the small screen, and I haven't got the City Navigator maps for it, just the pre-loaded map it comes with , but I couldn't find a way of entering an address or postcode on it.
Is it that GPS and Satnav are two different animals? Or perhaps, when I got the city street maps, a system would appear for me to enter destination details-I haven't found out yet perhaps you guys could help.
Also, i would like to know the viability of using the Ipaq214 with a receiver and the TomTom software, it would appear reading here that people are having compatibility issues. To start with, HP themselves admitted that if I load the software and the screen goes dark, then I need a hard reset on the PDA-not a good start!
So the questions are: Colorado- work with street maps inputting postcode/address? Ipaq suitability with receivers, and which one?
I'm going abroad this year three times and will need to find different unknown locations, but in the UK, I wouldn't need a Satnav much at all.
Thaking you all in anticipation.
semmy
roger-m
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ipaq compatibility Reply with quote

semmyroundel wrote:
I have an Ipaq 214 and was considering getting a receiver and TomTom software for it (I believe the compatible one is Navigator 6).

Beware! the sound volume on the 214 is very low. Some say too low for in car satnav. It's a known problem and much discussed.

BTW I use a qstarz bluetooth Q818 gps with my Ipaq 214. Works great and so do others I've tried. I use MemoryMap for walking. The 214 has been out today in some foul wet weather, all safe in an Aquapac.

--
Roger
semmyroundel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 214 compatibility Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Roger, the Colorado went back and am now considering Copilot 7 Live & with the 818x receiver, though it would have been nice to find out if the colorado had input methods for postcode, but I suppose I won't find out now.
With regards to low volume, this I don't see as an issue as I have a 3.5mm jack plug going into Aux on my van's stereo, so can amplify voice commands, and on the bike, 214 will reside in jacket pocket and earpiece under helmet, so I won't need to look at maps, but I take your point.
When I use this abroad this year, the wife can repeat the commands- who knows where we'll be there!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: