Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple launch the GPS enabled iPhone 3G
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple launch the GPS enabled iPhone 3G
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Apple launch the GPS enabled iPhone 3G Reply with quote

The long awaited Apple iPhone 3G with integrated GPS capabilities has been launched and at PocketGPSWorld.com we were lucky enough to get our hands on one on launch day. Rumours of a GPS enabled iPhone started almost immediately after the launch of the original iPhone, and these were confirmed just over a month ago in San Francisco by Steve Jobs Apple's CEO.

Applications are delivered by 3rd Party developers via Apple's ITunes App Store allowing Apple full control of what is and is not allowed to run on the iPhone. At launch there were a number of GPS apps in the Navigation, Social Networking and Photography sections of the iTunes App Store.

Click here to read my thoughts on a selection of the launch day GPS apps.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed and informative review.

Hopefully there's enough interest in providing turn-by-turn voice sat nav that someone will challenge the heavy-handed EULA.

On Thursday the New York Times carried a 'first experiences' review of the 3G, and commented that while using Google Maps, the GPS struggled to get a fix both due to Manhattan buildings (nothing new there) but also due to being 'inside a car'! This has led me to fear that Apple's implementation is so technically flawed that it may never support sat nav.

With your ability to test it out, have you been able to confirm that the GPS capability appears powerful enough to support any future Sat Nav apps, or have Apple got it terribly wrong in this respect?

On all things GPS, I did see value in the astronomy applications, presenting details of the night sky relative to both GPS location and heading...

Finally, you missed out the most important thing - how good is Super Monkey Ball? Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
Finally, you missed out the most important thing - how good is Super Monkey Ball? Laughing

More to the point What is Super Monkey Ball?? Rolling Eyes

I used the GPS in the car yesterday with the Google Map app and it tracked me precisely and speedily so I think the GPS is up to the job. I have been in Manhattan testing GPS and it is pretty nigh impossible to get a decent fix in amongst the skyscrapers. Move to Central Park and it is fine.

I suppose the question to ask is What was the GPS intended to do? I suspect that full blown navigation must have been on their minds if not at the forefront. The EULA has a lot of stuff in it, but you have to remember they are a US company based in California, the land of lawsuits because the coffee was too hot...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike,

Thank the stars for that! I was in Seattle a few weeks back and Nav 6 via TomTom's own Bluetooth receiver was worthless (and the skyscrapers aren't anything like Manhattan!).

Apple were def. trying to protect themselves with the agreement; whether they were also trying to protect a chosen sat nav partner remains to be seen - let's hope something gets confirmed soon (and not via the jailbreak route!).

Oh, and Super Monkey Ball is one life's great time wasters - think Bejewelled on steroids!!
popeye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the original iphone for a few months and I love it, but I don't think it would very good as a vehicle navigation device for a couple of reasons. Firstly the speaker isn't very loud, but the biggest problem for me would be the glass screen.
The reflections make it very difficult to read from a distance in bright conditions. Maybe with a built in GPS it would be handy to have as a backup or for use on foot though.
amhey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Use meebo.com for MSN IM Reply with quote

I've found meebo.com OK for doing MSN Messenge on iPhone.
efjay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why Microsoft is always singled out when it comes to the iphone's competition, shouldnt RIM, Nokia with Symbian, Google, Sony Ericsson and all other phone makers be afraid as well?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Page and watch the video, it gives an insight into what the iFone has done for the industry with a look at Google, HTC, Nokia etc - well worth watching - Mike
JulE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Got a 3G, very happy with it, even though it has quite a few problems.

The last problem i had to deal with was the GPS not working, found this site -
http://www.fixya.com/support/t781259-gps_not_working

Problem solved.

I love my 3G :-)
Julie :-)
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JulE wrote:
...the GPS not working, found this site -
http://www.fixya.com/support/t781259-gps_not_working
Problem solved.

Thanks for that Julie, that has to be one of the most helpful first posts ever!

Impressive figures for iPhone's first weekend - over 1,000,000 handsets sold; I think it worth noting that many of those are likely to be upgrades from a V1 iPhone, but impressive nevertheless - that's a lot of GPS-enabled handsets looking for a Sat Nav application, eh TomTom? Smile
More on first weekend figures Here.
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had an Iphone 3G and I have just taken it back as the Battery is just NOT up to the job , the fitted Battery is 1100ma and the Iphone 1 had a 1450ma one fitted.
Battery life with the 3G on is only 5 hours when you put on the Bluetooth and GPS its not good, the only way to get the battery life anywhere good enough is to Turn Off the 3G!!!! Remember this is a 3G phone!
What is going to be interesting is when and if Tom Tom comes out on it given the Glass screen and screen glare , as it’s going to be a battery killer for sure with the GPS running , spoken instructions and the screen/Bluetooth on all the time.
"You may get to where you are going but you wont get back" and you wont be able to call anyone either!!!!
Light at the end of the tunnel is the Gphone, Samsung Instinct and the Nuviphone all set to come out this year Lets hope you can change the Battery in one of them..
Looking at all of them Apple have the looks and interface but if you want a all in one solution then the Nuviphone may well be the way to go. I am waiting rather than selling my sole for 18 months to O2

Nuviphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwCJMqFWUck&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4GrERm2Mvo&feature=related

Gphone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTyJbxaq50

Samsung http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWjGff_tDqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FlfSJrpR4w
Terry
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tez"]"You may get to where you are going but you wont get back" and you wont be able to call anyone either!!!!"

I think it's pretty much a dead cert. that a power source is going to be required for an in-vehicle 3G system; its frustrating that Apple's way is to dictate how their devices are configured and used; in only they'd enabled battery interchange!
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

I have always had TomToms from and Ipac to current 930 I was looking at getting the Rider for on my motorbike, then the Iphone came out I thought great at last the answer and half the price of the Rider.

I thought putting the Iphone in my pocket with a cado headset would be great but I dont want to be fitting a power supply on my bike as this would be in my pocket along with the phone.

you are right about the battery problem and quite how Apple can bring out a phone with NO video support still baffles me

Terry
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tez wrote:
then the Iphone came out I thought great at last the answer and half the price of the Rider.

ah yeah, on a bike a power supply isn't really where you want to be going...

Anyway, we haven't got Sat Nav for the 3G yet - I fear it's not going to be a map download service, it's going to be a 3G server connection type affair from someone. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to be dependent upon the cell network for my navigation!

No video support? You mean no video calling?
Yali900
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: The solution is obvious, battery is not a problem AT ALL Reply with quote

[quote="bedbug"]
tez wrote:
"You may get to where you are going but you wont get back" and you wont be able to call anyone either!!!!"

I think it's pretty much a dead cert. that a power source is going to be required for an in-vehicle 3G system; its frustrating that Apple's way is to dictate how their devices are configured and used; in only they'd enabled battery interchange!

Realtime GPS app should be out soon. THe battery is not a problem at all.
Just use a cigerate lighter charger to power your iphone where you are driving, by the time you are at your destination, you will get off your car with a fully charged iphone at your disposal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: