Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions about latest firmware
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about latest firmware
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I can see the time and date, etc. info....

I know it's not ideal and it comes at the price of fewer points but you can always see the extra data in the .map file using the Satmap.

ROUTES MENU - Select track(i.e. My Track1) - View - Profile

You can select each point using the joystick. Data is displayed under the graph. Obviously there will be no data for imported routes.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about latest firmware Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
... Copy out the internal .gpx file to your hard disk. Right click on the file and open with either Firefox or Internet Explorer....
I had tried opening both the [My trail].gpx file (created when exporting the Satmap's .map file) and the internal.gpx file using Internet Explorer but in every case my Mapsource application opens and overrides the process; it tries to open the file but fails because the Satmap files can't be used in Mapsource. Presumably there must be a way of suppressing the Mapsource application from doing this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click the file and choose "Open With" then select the application you want to open the file with - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Right click the file and choose "Open With" then select the application you want to open the file with - Mike
That's what I do. I've also gone the "File -Open -Browse" route via IE. In every instance, the Mapsource application opens up and overrides the process!
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to try -
Change the .gpx to .xml - not so easy now that MS have 'improved' the OS.
Type the full path into IE address box, or even better download a decent Browser. Mozilla Firefox allows you to browse to local file paths.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After re-reading PloddinPedros last post probably nothing I've said before will work. In fact it would be hard to believe if it wasn't MS. As a last resort can I suggest moving the MapSource executable to a temporary directory so that MS cannot find it and see what it does then. MS it will hopefully bring up a prompt and you can take it from there.

Of course there is always the option of removing MapSource as the start up program for GPX files. Directions copied below.

To modify an existing file type
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click the file type you want to change, and then click Advanced.
If necessary, modify the file type description, and click Change Icon to change the file type icon.
Under Actions, click the command you want to modify, and then click Edit, Remove, or Set Default. Click New to add a new command to the Actions list.
Notes

After you specify a new action, the corresponding command appears on the menu when you right-click a file with the associated extension.
In the New Action dialog box, you can click Browse to find the program you want to specify for the action.
All files that have the file name extension will use the icon and commands you specify.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very many thanks jonesbach, for your helpful replies. In fact I haven't had much time to play, but I have tried making a copy of the relevant file and saving it as an .xml file type. This does seem to work, as Mapsource now doesn't rear its head and the text opens in IE. The internal .gpx (much bigger) file does take a lot longer to open than the former .map file, although this is perhaps down to my steam-age computer.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about latest firmware Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
.. how do I read the data in the richer internal.gpx file, specifically the time and date of each trackpoint.

Further to last post on this, if you have Mozilla Firefox, Flock or Sea Monkey Browsers you can try

N.B. Does not work with Internet Explorer. It is untested and I'm putting it out for you to pull apart. It may be difficult, but please try to keep it constructive. Check all safety critical information before you use it.
It is still in very early development and will be buggy. At present you can do the following :
    Copy in and browse an internal GPX file - put cursor over marker and information is shown at top of page.
    Draw route or copy in exported GPX file and modify. The ultimate intention is to be able to copy out finished routes.

Please allow for the following
    I'm new to HTML/Javascript so progress will be slow and there will be bugs. Check all safety critical information before you use it.
    The O.S. specify a maximum daily quota of map tiles. In the highly unlikely event that this is exceeded a message will be displayed in the map area. The system will be available again the following day.
    Don't try to use this if you have limited bandwidth or a 1GB ceiling.
    If this ever gets to Beta I'll look into I.E. but this is very low on my priorities.

For those not strong on computing you load by :
    Copy/export your file from Satmap to PC using SatSYNC.
    Open Notepad then -FILE - OPEN.
    In the dialog box set 'Files of type' to 'All Files'.
    Select the file and open.
    Then EDIT - SELECT ALL.
    EDIT - COPY.
    Paste into textbox below map and press the relevant button.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: