Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Narrow Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Narrow Roads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koyli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Narrow Roads Reply with quote

Confused

Hi can anyone of you experienced users advise if there is any suitable way to set up my newly purchased Go 730 to avoid narrow roads. I tow a caravan and have been reading with intrest the threads on IQ routing.

Indeed on my first time out with the tomtom while on holiday in Italy it routed me down a road that was almost impossible for the car to navigate, thankfully at the time I was travelling solo and a few friendly locals watched the side of the car as I inched down a road that was normal size at the entrance but narrowed to 2m at one point.

Thanks
Koyli
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not selecting the routing option to be shortest are you? TT would normally choose more major roads but is never going to be perfect.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early versions of TomTom Navigator used to have a set of sliders to set your own preferences for different types of roads, but for some reason they reduced it down to the set of half a dozen choices we now get - half of which I'm sure no-one ever uses!

LOADS of people have asked for a specific "avoid tiny roads" option over the last couple of years.
If nothing else, it would stop all the situations we hear about in the news on "quiet" days, where juggernauts have got stuck down some tiny village access road.

But it doesn't seem to be on any list of priorities for TomTom. Crying or Very sad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the "Always plan for limited speed" option?

Isn't that supposed to be for larger vehicles?

I've read conflicting comments about what this option actually does, but the consensus seems to be that it will select major roads in preference to minor roads.

It might be worth you running a demo route to a place you know with "Always plan fastest routes", then "Always plan for limited speed" and see which you prefer.

I would have thought that the "Always avoid motorways" would favour minor roads, so it seems logical to me that "Always plan for limited speed" ought to favour major roads
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
What about the "Always plan for limited speed" option?

Isn't that supposed to be for larger vehicles?

Well if it is, it's a rubbish name!

To me that sounds like "I'm afraid to go on motorways, take me down the safe little back routes...."
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know, but there's comment elsewhere that the limited speed option provides an OK route for towing a caravan.

That's why I suggested trying a couple of demo routes with different preferences so that the user might be able to make an informed decision.

Yes, it's a stupid name, but TomTom aren't known for being logical Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Well, I don't know, but there's comment elsewhere that the limited speed option provides an OK route for towing a caravan.

I remember that discussion, it was only a couple of weeks ago wasn't it?
I'll see if I can find it...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is THIS the one you were thinking of GPS_fan?

If so, it seems to conclude that the "limited speed" option DOESN'T change the route, just the timings, or that it DOES, but still uses "fastest" (or maybe "shortest"!)

Confused? I am! Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Confused? I am! Laughing

I was confused before I even started - luckily, I'm not the one towing the caravan. Wink

I was hoping that somebody like Falkirk81 might have stumbled across this thread because he might have some experience of the limited speed thingy and larger vehicles
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i imagine "always plan for limited speed" should work on the 730. not that i know anything about italy, but how many of the roads are even sustainable for caravans? do you tow a caravan everywhere?
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a caravan and use the limited speed option. It does change the route sometimes as it calculates the fastest route at that limited speed. For example, where I live in Rugby, going to the southwest the "unlimited" route is on the M6 via Birmingham but if I limit speed to say 50mph, it then routes via A46, which is a shorter distance and the becames the "fastest route" for that speed. There is nothing though to prevent routing down narrow roads or low bridges so common sense still has to prevail, although I have never had a routing problem.
Using the limited speed option could be useful solo if you know a particular road or motorway is always slow. Even if it does not give you a different routing, it will give you a more realistic arrival time. Useful if you are catching a ferry.
Brian
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Is THIS the one you were thinking of GPS_fan?

If so, it seems to conclude that the "limited speed" option DOESN'T change the route, just the timings, or that it DOES, but still uses "fastest" (or maybe "shortest"!)
Laughing

It most certainly does choose a different route. Try making a route from Swansea to Peterborough, first using Fastest Route and then using Limited speed 40 mph options. The routes selected (and journey times) are totally different.
However, I don't think the limited speed option is less likely to avoid minor roads - indeed, quite the reverse. The lower the limited speed set the less is the time advantage associated with major roads. My own experience is that with low limited speeds set the route gets closer and closer to the Shortest route

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the IQ routing takes into account times of the day and week when planning routes doe's it not? when i used it, it got me lost down a narrow lane less than a quarter of a mile from my destination Shocked luckily twenty odd years ago i had been there before so when it was trying to take me down a blocked off road and wouldn't take no for an answer I found the off button very useful
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQ Routes doesn't take in to account the time of day only the fact that it might be a week day or weekend when planning a route, whether future versions will allow time of day to be taken into consideration would be the next logical progression - Mike
koyli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Narrow Toads Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
i imagine "always plan for limited speed" should work on the 730. not that i know anything about italy, but how many of the roads are even sustainable for caravans? do you tow a caravan everywhere?

Nope certainly don't tow a caravan everywhere the instance I refer to I was travelling solo.
I thought Tomtom would have a feature same as the that on an old Garmin Street Pilot I owned years ago were you could indicate the type of vehicle, car, bus, motorcycle. So on the odd occasion I was towing a caravan I would set it to Bus and I was never presented with an inadequate route.
I always set my tomtom to fastest route thinking it would route motorways when possible or roads that are reasonbly passable.

Thanks for all the tips so far.

KOYLI

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: