Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Drive Navigation Software Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Drive Navigation Software Reviewed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Sygic Drive Navigation Software Reviewed Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSygic are not yet a well known brand but this Bratislava based team are enthusiastic in the spirit of mobile communication and navigation solutions.

Sygic asked us to review their new version 7 Sygic Drive navigation program. We had first seen some promising demos at CeBIT last year and so our moderator Mike Alder took the software for a drive with some interesting results not least of which was a minor run in with the Police!

Click here to read the review.
LaptopGPSWorld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I looked at the Laptop version of Sygic Drive. I haven't experienced bizarre routing, as described in your review. It may be related to me testing the USA/Canada version, though. My biggest problem was the process of destination address entering - but this is likely just specific to my geographical area. The product still feels very much like a Beta, but I think it may have a good potential.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting review, Mike. This could be the answer to my problem of finding a suitable mapping for my trips to E Europe, if indeed the maps cover the Balkans. Doesn't look as if either Via M or Navman are coming up with the release of the E Europe maps which TeleAtlas said were available as far back as last January (2007) if memory serves me correctly. Really depends on whether, the E European maps do cover that area and to what depth of detail.
spkr4thdd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Updated Mobile Version Reply with quote

I have used TomTom on O2 XDA devices for some years now but recently 'upgraded' to an N95. TomTom do not support the N95 so I've had to look for an alternative.

My contract came with 18 months of voice navigation for Nokia Maps included in the contract, and the European map, but it's woeful to be honest and so I had to look further afield. I use GarminXT as my GPS software for travelling in Africa due to its offroad ability and love the application, but with the N95 it seems a little sluggish in busy built up areas so I've ben on the lookout for an alternative.

I've recently installed the McGuider version of Sygic 7.52 with the 2008 (7.54) European Maps on my Nokia N95.

The interface seems to have been tweaked somewhat since the review here and I haven't seen the 'yellow arrow' as a destination marker, although there is a placename which appears as you get closer. And there is now the ability to search on a full 7 digit UK Postcode!!

Overall the routing and guidance have been extremely accurate and easy to follow. In fact the software performs better on the N95, with less postion delay, than both Nokia Maps and GarminXT Mobile. The maps are the latest offerings from TeleAtlas and the system makes use of the advanced lane guidance which is becoming available on TomTom, in addition it shows roadsigns at junctions as they appear on the road (you can set the level of detail for these but I haven't played with it yet).

Over the next few weeks I have an extensive amount of travel ahead of me within the UK and Western Europe, and towards the end of the year I'm off to Eastern Europe on business so I will update the thread as things progress.

At the moment I can say that I will be using this software in preferrence to both Nokia Maps and GarminXT, the N95 doesn't support TomTom as yet, so here's hoping.

Hope this helps,
Spkr4thdd
psheehan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Sygic Drive via Looket G8 PNA Reply with quote

Just bought this from Misco as it is on sale with £50 two days ago.

Upgraded to v7.528 with only GB & Irl maps, no speed camera.

Sent mail to the Looket G8 manaufactorer sysonchip asking for other cuntry maps/speed camera/time synchrouse, got a quick reply today from their sale manager Don Soe.

He had given a URl link for a ov2 conversion program to translate the tomtom file to theirnative format, so now I have the speed camera support in UK.

other country map seems to be the same format as the Mcguider version so no problem.

this version seems to be cross between the Igo and any navi format. the map loaded very quickly, Satelite taken about 10 to 20 sec to lock down.

good piece of GPS software. Map size s small compare to TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: