Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TrackLogs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TrackLogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: TrackLogs Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but here's a question for TrackLogs users.

When I open TrackLogs V3 by clicking on a TrackLogs route file the software does not open properly. The chosen route does not appear nor do the maps, there is just a blank grey screen. If I then open the same route (or any other route) from within the program itself this opens ok and the maps appear and everything seems to work fine. However when I close TrackLogs I get an error message telling me that TrackLogs has encountered a problem and needs to close even though the program has already closed! I do not get this error message if I open Tracklogs in the normal way. In a nutshell TrackLogs won't open or close properly if I double click a route file which means hyperlinks from say a Word Doc won't open correctly and show the route.

I have emailed TrackLogs, and their response was that Windows needed to be kept up to date!!!

Can any TrackLogs user reading this, actually open a route from outside the application?

Many thanks.

Kidstypike
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried double-clicking a .trl file and Tracklogs opens fine with the route and map tiles displayed.

The fact that Tracklogs opens at all means that your file associations are ok (i.e. .trl files are correctly associated with the Tracklogs application).

I've just noticed that a version update to V3.12.3 is available for download - is that the version you are using?. I'm still using 3.11.1 but I'll download and try the test with the latest 3.12.3 tomorrow.
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoffC

Many thanks for your reply, yes I'm using version 3.12.03.
I know only two other people who use TrackLogs, and they both have the exact same problem as myself.

Thanks again, and will await further comment.

kidstypike
GeoffC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed update V3.12.03 and it works fine: double-clicking a .trl file brings up the route and the map tiles exactly like V3.11.1.

I did manage to duplicate the blank grey screen you mentioned. It seems that Tracklogs must have at least one route file open before it will show the maps, otherwise it blanks the mapping window. If you load Tracklogs using the normal application shortcut, it opens with a new blank route file called Route1 and shows the maps ok, however if you immediately close Route1 by doing File -- Close, the maps disappear and the mapping window turns grey. I don't know why the software should insist on at least one route file being open, but there you go.

So it seems that on your system, double-clicking a route file loads the software ok, but then the application doesn't open the original file - it thinks there is no route file, hence a grey window.

This type of fault is often caused by incorrect settings for the Windows DDE mechanism for the application. I've described two methods of checking it below (my system is Windows XP Pro with SP2):-

Method 1 - the classy way using RegEdit:-

Do Start -- Run, then type regedit and click Open.

Navigate to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TrackLogs.Route\shell\open\ddeexec

In the right hand pane the value in the Data column for ddeexec should be:-

[open("%1")]

If the key ddeexec doesn't exist, try method 2.

Method 2:-

Go to Control Panel -- Folder Options.
Go to the File Types tab.
Scroll down to filetype TRL and click to highlight it. The Details box will say 'Opens with Tracklogs...'.
Click the Advanced Button. There should be a list of Actions and the top one should be 'Open'.
Highlight the 'Open' action and click the Edit button to check these details:

1. Make sure the 'Use DDE' checkbox is ticked.
2. The 'DDE message' should read:

[open("%1")]

Let us know how you get on.
kidstypike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your continued interest.
I have succeeded in opening a route from outside the application!

I went through your "Method 1", and everthing seems fine in Regedit.
I started to go through your "Method 2", but hit a stumbling block when I could not find an "Advanced" button to click!!!

I think I have found the answer in the TrackLogs application itself.
If you Click "Window" on the top menu then "Layout" you will see a list of different layouts for doing different tasks, but the problem is you do not know which of these layouts you are using, because nothing is highlighted.

So I clicked on one of these layouts (I forget which), and then closed TrackLogs. I then double-clicked a .trl file and it opened up no problem. I did this a few times to make sure it was not just a one off!

I have just phoned an aquaintance with the same problem, and asked him to change the layout he was using, this he did, he is now able to open a route from within a Windows folder.

So the problem seems to be with the layouts and how you may have altered them.

I am amazed that TrackLogs appear to be unaware of this problem.

Again, many thanks for listening, and your help with this.

kidstypike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: