Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRWALLIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount Reply with quote

Having taken delivery of my Satmap, Active 10, I was really looking forward to my cycle ride home to test out the new unit.

How disappointing I was to find that 5 minutes into the ride it froze. Crying or Very sad It froze a further 10-15 times on the way home, each time I had to remove the battery to restart the machine and wait for the GPS to lock on before proceeding.

I tried various things to try and work out what the cause might be.

1) Not using the SIM-card maps
2) Turning off the logging
3) Reducing the back-light
4) Making sure I had a good strong GPS single from multiple satellites before proceeding.

What I seem to have discovered is that the unit just can’t take the knocks of being attached to my bike. If you treat it with kid-gloves, it’s fine, but as soon as it gets any knock or the vibration through the bike, it freezes up.

I suspected it might be being caused by the badly fitting rechargeable battery pack I’d purchased with the unit, so this morning I tried the standard AA cells, but this no difference, other than being slightly quicker and easier to reset as you just have to pop out one of the cells.

What I need to understand is, “Have I got a dodgy unit” and therefore getting a replacement will solve my problem, or is the unit just not up to the job of being attached to a bike and used in the way it’s being advertised and prompted?

I've read on this forum about software lock-ups and freezes, but wasn't aware of anyone was experiencing any physical issues with the device.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a faulty device to be honest, although have you tried using the device with no SD card fitted at all? and does it still lock up? - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.....the longest ride I've done whilst having the unit mounted to my bike and in use for the whole ride is 131 miles....and it froze twice....at about 50 miles and then again at 95, and the second of those I was about to change the batteries anyway so they didn't go in a long section of country lanes in the dark.

So if yours is going with such frequency then perhaps something is lose inside and you should get an exchange.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount Reply with quote

TRWALLIS wrote:
... so this morning I tried the standard AA cells, but this no difference...

Be careful in judgement as the unit appears to have been designed for the rechargeable pack. It is not at all tolerant of slightly under voltage AA cells, and some of us have also had issues with the battery holder connections so it could still be a power problem. Either way I agree with Mike, you have a faulty unit and a phone call to Satmap is in order.
TRWALLIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with out the SD card and the unit still locked up.

The rechargable battery pack rattles around inside the unit, so wou;dn't be surprised if before long the connects went, but I don;t think this is the case at the moment, becuase the screen stays fully illuminated.

On one occassion the screen did break-up in a funny way. It seemed to go all strippy and then went blank and then came back fully illuminated, but by this time, the unit had frozen and none of the buttons worked. Confused

Seems strange that if it was a connection issue that the screen still shows the information and it doesn't just go blank (or blue as it's an MS O/S Laughing )
TRWALLIS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount Reply with quote

jonesbach wrote:
TRWALLIS wrote:
... so this morning I tried the standard AA cells, but this no difference...

Be careful in judgement as the unit appears to have been designed for the rechargeable pack. It is not at all tolerant of slightly under voltage AA cells, and some of us have also had issues with the battery holder connections so it could still be a power problem. Either way I agree with Mike, you have a faulty unit and a phone call to Satmap is in order.

I actually used the new Energizer Lithium's that came with the unit.

If your suggesting the unit was designed for use with the battery pack, then it's a pity the battery pack wasn't designed for the base unit! Mine rattles around inside the unit, it's certainly not a snug fit like by Blackberry battery.

One advantage of the AA cells is that it's at least quicker to reboot the machine and less fiddly than trying to pull the cable out!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a small strip of foam down the side of the battery to stop it moving about as the wires don't look to sturdy to be honest. Whilst I have never broken a battery cable I have heard from others that have so decided a DIY solution would be best applied before it broke.

As you have tried it with the card out I would give SatMap a ring, they will want to know the serial number which is located under the battery "ACT100UK01234567" and the software version which you can get at by powering it up then select "Settings/ About" and it should say "Version 1,16" or similar. They might offer you a download to upgrade the device which will re-install the software or just swap the unit for another one.

You can contact them on 0845 873 0101 They are a helpful bunch who will undoubtedly rectify this problem quickly - Mike
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it has been designed for a specified voltage that remains reasonably stable over the discharge period not necessarily that pack Confused . For example, the Lithium Energizers tend to overvoltage when first installed and low capacity AA drop off as they discharge and not all cells can deliver the full voltage when under load.

I don't think I made myself clear in my last post -
Quote:
..and some of us have also had issues with the battery holder connections..

What I intended saying was that the battery contacts may not be holding the battery firmly.

As far as it being a connection issue a poor joint could have any resistance from negligible to open circuit and would vary depending on vibration.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit doesn't like being knocked about on bike mount Reply with quote

TRWALLIS wrote:
How disappointing I was to find that 5 minutes into the ride it froze. Crying or Very sad It froze a further 10-15 times on the way home, each time I had to remove the battery to restart the machine and wait for the GPS to lock on before proceeding.
.......What I seem to have discovered is that the unit just can’t take the knocks of being attached to my bike. If you treat it with kid-gloves, it’s fine, but as soon as it gets any knock or the vibration through the bike, it freezes up.
Like others, I've done many road miles on the bike without problems from being shaken/jolted. You don't say whether you ride on or off road - I guess off-road would test it more severely.

TRWALLIS wrote:
What I need to understand is, “Have I got a dodgy unit” and therefore getting a replacement will solve my problem, or is the unit just not up to the job of being attached to a bike and used in the way it’s being advertised and prompted?....
I'd say you have a dodgy unit and it should be up to use on a bike (see above). From my experience, the beta version 1.189 software cures the freezing problem. It's unofficial but you can download it from the Satmap website (http://www.satmap.com/beta/) but I must emphasise that you try this at your own risk. A more reliable alternative would be to 'phone them as suggested by others earlier and ask if you can send to unit back and have them load v1.189 and return it to you. They will provide a Freepost address so all you have to pay is the Recorded Delivery insurance (optional of course) and most people have found them pretty prompt and very helpful.

Don't get too discouraged - once you've got over the niggles, it's a jolly good piece of kit.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it cycle mounted over ground so rough I ended up with a headache for three weeks afterwards... but the SatMap was fine! In fact I've never had it freeze once (hope I'm not speaking too soon.)

I use the Li-Pol battery pack without any extra padding or anything.

If I'm just recording a route to check where I've been I sometimes keep it at the top of a rucksack where it is less vulnerable. I've done this since reading someone's post stating that their unit had become damaged in an accident.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: