Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Version 8 maps for tom tom go 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 8 maps for tom tom go 520
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HairlessHeart
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Which "bit" of ALG? My understanding is that the blue arrows in the bottom left corner should be there for pretty much every junction, but the pretty picture is missing on quite a few. There was a post about it yesterday or the day before about one of the M25 junctions not having it.

Went out for a drive this afternoon. No blue arrows for me at all. All I have is the normal blue status bar, with a white icon in the bottom left corner to signify the next turn / roundabout. Never a sniff of a pretty picture either. What can I be doing wrong? I haven't disabled the lanes stuff in options.
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid for and downloaded the v8 maps, loaded onto GO 920T with no problems, just given it a quick road test and It seems great, will give it a good road test over the weekend

Turbo
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbo10 wrote:
Paid for and downloaded the v8 maps, loaded onto GO 920T with no problems, just given it a quick road test and It seems great, will give it a good road test over the weekend

Turbo

Hope you don't mind my asking....

So you can download and use Version 8 maps on the older X20 units?

Special tricks?

Oh course, so far, I have not allowed Home to do anything. I'm still back at version 7.221 for my 920.

But now the new features might have me more interested if everything is reasonably working - of course, definitions of "reasonably" when talking about TomTom are up for debate.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First update your device using Home, this will install version 7,481 repeat the update and it will install 8,010.
Purchase a map intended for an x30 device, download it to the device and it will activate. And remember if you only drive in the UK save some cash and only grab the vs8 UK & ROI map as it is a little cheaper than the Western Europe version.

The above is a short summary of what people have been doing, the problem you might have is that should it go wrong you probably won't get any support from TomTom as you don't have the exact device you have selected when choosing the device from the map shop. Quite a few people have got this running and as yet there have been no reported issues - Mike
Goto10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
First update your device using Home, this will install version 7,481 repeat the update and it will install 8,010.
Purchase a map intended for an x30 device, download it to the device and it will activate. And remember if you only drive in the UK save some cash and only grab the vs8 UK & ROI map as it is a little cheaper than the Western Europe version.

The above is a short summary of what people have been doing, the problem you might have is that should it go wrong you probably won't get any support from TomTom as you don't have the exact device you have selected when choosing the device from the map shop. Quite a few people have got this running and as yet there have been no reported issues - Mike

If I just grab the V8 UK map for my 920T - will I retain my V7 maps too? More to the point - will my Europe/US maps still function? (Albeit without the ALG etc)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't BUT I suspect you need to move then to a sd card or the computer to provide space for the version 8 map.

Of course, if you have version 8, why do you need version 7? Just asking ...
Goto10
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Oh, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't BUT I suspect you need to move then to a sd card or the computer to provide space for the version 8 map.

Well I travel abroad sometimes and need the TomTom (reason I went for 920, to get Slovakia etc) - but I don't really care about ALG/IQ routes in Slovakia/UK/Europe and whatnot - so just getting the cheaper UK map with ALG would be good, but I don't want to turn my 920 into a basic TomTom One by making it UK only! I need to retain the full set of maps it has now, but would like to upgrade UK map to IQ/ALG.
Hope that makes sense.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does.

Put some maps on a sdhc card (4 gigs) and other in internal. Switch as needed.
marshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I downloaded and installed ver8 europe map for my 520
everything ok
went for a spin after lunch
absolutely brilliant the lane assist is vgood as is the reality pictures
also i had a traffic fix all the way from just outside burnley all the to way to Blackburn then to Todmorden and all the way home. I have never had a green circle "up to date " outside my house before

so I am well pleased Razz Razz Razz
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2 wrote:
turbo10 wrote:

Turbo

Hope you don't mind my asking....

So you can download and use Version 8 maps on the older X20 units?

Special tricks?

Oh course, so far, I have not allowed Home to do anything. I'm still back at version 7.221 for my 920.

But now the new features might have me more interested if everything is reasonably working - of course, definitions of "reasonably" when talking about TomTom are up for debate.

Hi
No special tricks, just paid for it, downloaded it, loaded it......works perfect. Been for a run today and its absolutely great, everything works as though it was a 930T. Updates from Home as before.

Turbo
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agreed, it does all work in terms of the maps, ALG and IQ routing but in my case the GPRS Traffic has stopped working which is a little annoying due being a paid subscription (though I recognise that I am halfway through the subscription period so the financial loss is not that great Smile ) and anyway the info is not that reliable as we all know

I have tried re-setting my account on the TT site both with my unit identified as a 720 and also as a 730 (needed to do that to get the map to download) but nothing is working at present. Might try TT SUpport but not too hopeful since of course I no longer have a 'standard' unit ie with v7 maps

All other (non-subscription) TT Plus services seem to work OK
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I now have to correct myself. Just tried out the unit to see if Traffic had reactivated over the weekend and it seems as if it has! Possibly when re-setting your account it requires an overnight period to work again....... (The unit is now reset as a Go720 on the site)

Still, more likely to trust my Trafficmaster than ITIS. I see there is another new rant on the accuracy of TMC info in the TMC forum this morning. Laughing
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Thats correct what dhn says, V8 won't go until the V7 maps are removed to provide space, copy them onto your PC just in case you need them at a later date
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I too did it this morning and all went OK ....... Thing that puzzles me is why don't they make it available for 720 users as it clearly works fine
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
yup I too did it this morning and all went OK ....... Thing that puzzles me is why don't they make it available for 720 users as it clearly works fine

Wouldn't be much motivation for users to pay the extra money for a 730 when a 720, with the addition of a version 8 map at much less than a cost of a 730 unit and the version 8 firmware (free) would essentially convert a 720 to a 730.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: